Combat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageCombat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

Ever since the dawn of the original Natural Selection, itself a Half-Life mod, people have been modding Natural Selection. One of the most enduring and compelling mods ever made for Natural Selection is Combat: A game in which alien and human face off in an arena, leveling up abilities and fighting to destroy each others’ bases. When Natural Selection 2 was released as stand alone game, it represented a modding idea becoming a commercial success. That success allowed an entire development studio to thrive: Today, the success of Natural Selection 2 has allowed Unknown Worlds to grow and reveal a new game, Subnautica. Combat is now about to have that same chance. Some time this year, Combat will be …

Read the full story here

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    Forum thread snipe.

*boom* headshot.

PS - it's super fun. Can't wait myself!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Breaking news! Combat is going to be a standalone!!
    1bh6.jpg

:D
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    4 weeks for an update and got Alien-Buy-Menu.png and update about separate game from separate developer? since im already here, how much is it gonna cost us to play combat mode from now on?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    It was kind of "revealed" long ago.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    RadimaX wrote: »
    4 weeks for an update and got Alien-Buy-Menu.png and update about separate game from separate developer? since im already here, how much is it gonna cost us to play combat mode from now on?
    The Mod made for NS2 will stay free, just as any other mods, the fully developed stand alone title will cost you... I dont know, i dont think Faultline even knows, and even if they did, its most likely subject to change anyways.

• angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Breaking news! Combat is going to be a standalone!!
    1bh6.jpg

:D

Guess not everybody can be as up-to-date and cool as you :P

Congrats to Faultline Games :)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Can't wait to play this! Really hope it pulls in an audience
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Haters gonna hate, but this is already far from public combat, too bad people will always have biases based upon assumptions of public combat
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'll definitely be supporting this when it comes out. hurry up already! :)

I think combat mod has mostly died because of the terrible performance that one ns2 patch brought it a while back, and of course this was after the devs had stopped supporting it to make the full game. I think there will still be an appetite for combat as a standalone game, and I look forward to playing it :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looking forward to it. Combat was always a nice alternative to the strategic main game and provided a breath of fresh air to just relax and kill stuff without thinking or stressing too much about it. I only hope that this new incarnation brings a little more variety to the mode, maybe even taking on a traditional FPS design and having multiple modes?

I assume it will be free to play and I assume that badges/dlc, etc will carry over into the standalone product.

I hope it comes out in summer, give me something new to grab onto while I'm on uni break :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @RaZDaZ‌ so far you are wrong on the following assumptions:

It will be free to play - No, this is a full standalone product, developed by a third party.
    DLC etc will carry over - No, this is a full standalone product, developed by a third party.

It will however feature multiple games modes, as it is a complete stand alone story.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might be interesting to see many of the fan's requests that never made it into vanilla, so that it can seperate itsel from just simply being a mod and possibly affect further growth of NS2 vanilla :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

It will be free to play - No, this is a full standalone product, developed by a third party.
    DLC etc will carry over - No, this is a full standalone product, developed by a third party.

It will however feature multiple games modes, as it is a complete stand alone story.

Well that is annoying. As long as the end product is good then I don't have a real problem with it
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    Combat mod is still quite active (despite bugs) - dmzgaming just started another one this year. IBIS and Thunderdome typically reach 90-100% capacity in the evenings EST. IBIS is also not as laggy as last year after build 263 was released.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see why this couldn't be an inbuilt gamemode like it was in ns1. Better yet the classic mode server despite being empty all the time, has a cool feature where it will load the gamemode depending on the map name, something that normal ns2 has never been able to do.

As much as I love playing combat more the base ns2 I don't see myself spending additional money on a gamemode turned standalone title while also losing all the dlc perks I spent on supporting ns in the first place.

If it turns out to be successful you're likely going to be fracturing whats left of the original ns2 community, so all those 'combat killed ns' people can probably start saying that again.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

It is not because it is a 'full standalone product, developed by a third party' that it couldn't be any of those possibilities. And regarding DLC it still could be the case... in the future.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I myself am wondering how well the standalone game would serve the 'function' the mod did of being a nice forgiving way to train certain lifeforms and weapons.
  • PostawaPostawa Join Date: 2007-02-08 Member: 59912Members
    Best news so far in 2014, glad uwe is finally supporting the construction of combat. Anyone denying the success of standalone combat lacks business sense, it'll sell well, you'll see..
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Postawa wrote: »
    Best news so far in 2014, glad uwe is finally supporting the construction of combat. Anyone denying the success of standalone combat lacks business sense, it'll sell well, you'll see..

Er, how is uwe really supporting this? Other than code and a promotion? Seems like it has very little to do with them.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited April 2014
    I hope the gameplay is more balanced this time, the current mod always ends up with grenade launcher spam from marines and aliens countering this with mass xenocide (becomes an unskilled borefest fast).

The current limitations on GL's is not enough, it is over kill for half a marine team to be allowed GL's, this should be limited to quarter.

Good luck with the stand alone version, is the stand alone going to cost any money, i'm assuming it will.

It better be damn good and be reasonably priced otherwise i don't see many buying it!
    Hopefully, after release, there will be a bundle for both ns2 and combat. But that'd be after combat made some money.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Is this the thing that the "What is releasing in 27 days" thread is about? Or is that still yet to be revealed?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @d0ped0g Mostlikely is, I'm going to cry ... Another one overhyped. To be fair, UWE nearly had nothing to do with the hype this time.
    As if I'd give cash to something that once was an integrated part in NS1, rather buy Goat Simulator. I feel like people see this community as a milking station.
    Not sure if it'll really impact the community with all the responses saying they fear this. If you're on the forums and posting this... then I doubt it'll stop you from wanting to play ns2. If it's concerning people who currently play on combat modded ns2, that will still be around (unless the server owners transfer to combat...).

I think their main goal is to get people to play their game. Not just old ns2-ers, but fresh blood. I'd imagine that the dwindling ns2 playersbase isn't quite enough to get combat some cash. They'll need more of the pew pew gamers to make any cash (i'd say there are a few more of those than people who can handle rts/fps/teammates/whatever else is in ns2 and not combat). Perhaps some of the buyers will try out ns2, maybe not. Can't really see it hurting anyone, tbh.

Sorry if half of that made no sense; I just had an encounter with an herb of some sort... :-bd
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    ROFL. No way it will sell well. No one that isn't interested in NS2 will buy it.

If it is standalone does that mean they will be developing traits and abilities that will be exclusive to Combat? If so there won't be any player compatibility between ns2 and combat... further fracturing the already low player base.

edited April 2014
    ROFL. No way it will sell well. No one that isn't interested in NS2 will buy it.

If it is standalone does that mean they will be developing traits and abilities that will be exclusive to Combat? If so there won't be any player compatibility between ns2 and combat... further fracturing the already low player base.

Again, I doubt it is supposed to boost sales for ns2. And, again, you can't fracture a community if people who have no intention of buying ns2 still don't buy ns2. All the steam deals for ns2 didn't increase player base for long. Maybe they'll buy this game and give it a go. If they know the difference between the games, they will buy whichever they like. In ns1, people were fractured by different servers and communities that were developed in vanilla ns and combat ns. It was all in the same game though. So, it seemed, in my opinion (which many will argue against, but the fact that it is arguable is a bit proving), that it fractured the game because both were in the same game. This led to people leaving regular servers to combat servers, or regular ns servers changing to combat servers... or worse, mixed servers. That is a fracture IMO.

Again, I can't see this hurting ns2 in any way. It can only hurt/benefit the combat devs (depending on how it goes).

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Is this the thing that the "What is releasing in 27 days" thread is about? Or is that still yet to be revealed?
    I really don't think that was meant for Combat, cause I was waiting on something too!