Game not starting "COULDN'T INITIALIZE THE RENDER DEVICE" - Num displays: 0

SupportCase834056SupportCase834056 Join Date: 2014-03-31 Member: 195066Members
edited March 2014 in Technical Support
When I try to start the game (via Steam) a error dialogue pops up containing the message "COULDN'T INITIALIZE THE RENDER DEVICE".
I have tried previously described steps of deleting/changing config files as described in numerous older threads.
This problem also appears with the game Teleglitch (but everything else works fine). It seems to be caused by the same underlying problem or at least the log contains a suspiciously similar error message:
ERROR:cannot create window!. 
INFO: Using (null)(null) as rendering device

I have made sure my OS (Win7 x64) is up to date (all updates installed), I have the newest graphics driver (clean install) and made sure the steam installation verifies.

I have noticed in the log files a very suspicious line:
Num displays: 0
Error: IDirect3D9::CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
Error: Couldn't initialize the render device.

Seems that my display is not detected by the game? I have connected a single screen via HDMI. I have tried to re-connect the display with no effect.

The full tech report is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1k3py04gbxv5lt/tech_support.zip

Comments

• alnairalnair Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi,

Your file system/system_options.xml looks rather sparse, try to reset your graphics settings by manually deleting the file

%appdata%\Natural Selection 2\system_options.xml

Then try to start the game and your graphics settings will be set to default. If you still get an error please post another tech_support file.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It seems NS2, and teleglitch, are not recognising a valid GPU. This could be for any number of reasons. Let us now how the system_options reset advised above goes, but I am not sure that will resolve the issue. This may require deeper investigation. I had the same issue previously on a number of occassions, and it has had various causes, drivers, GPU dying, MB fault, OS corruption..

This can be a pain to find, I hope it is easy for you.
  • SupportCase834056SupportCase834056 Join Date: 2014-03-31 Member: 195066Members
    edited April 2014
    Deleting the system_options.xml did not change anything, I'm afraid.
    Here the tech support report after doing this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cqsm61fsuw750e/tech_support_2.zip

Interestingly enough someone having this problem with Teleglitch seems to have had the same graphics card http://steamcommunity.com/app/234390/discussions/0/558746089275424973/#c558746089521056316

@Soul_Rider: Are there any ways to easily test for the mentioned hardware faults? My GPU has been under quite some load during the last year (continuous Blender rendering) so some early ageing might not be too surprising... Unfortunately I don't have any spare hardware around to just test this by replacing bits
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe you can try and see what OpenGL does.
    Just change <device>D3D9</device> to <device>OpenGL</device> in the system_options.xml

You can also try D3D11 for directX11

You card should work btw. I Had the same ( although it was the 560 Ti Hawk version.. )

Ow, and for some people reinstalling the game fixes a lot of different issues. Might be the same in your case!
  • SupportCase834056SupportCase834056 Join Date: 2014-03-31 Member: 195066Members
    edited April 2014
    I had already tried re-installing the game(s) and switching between the different DirectX options.
    Just now tested it with OpenGL and no change.

In general the card should work. I'm more afraid this might be some obscure bug or defect that only happens when the right stars align or something...
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmm What about your video drivers? Do you have the latest?
    After that I'm out of options!
    I have made sure my OS (Win7 x64) is up to date (all updates installed), I have the newest graphics driver (clean install) and made sure the steam installation verifies.

That was one of the first things I tried.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I tried rolling back drivers 3 or 4 versions, to see if it is a driver issue. I have a couple of old spares lying around, so I am able to swap bits out and perform other tests. It is really a case of trial and error until you identify the fault. No quick guides unfortunately.