blind's NS2 Strategy Guide

blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
Hey guys,

the document linked below started from an internal agenda and constantly grew something on its own until the point it became far more than requested, and I felt it could be also used otherwise: by sharing with people who might be interested.

Since it's a wall of text, I just post a link to it. Feel free to share your thoughts, especially where you think I am wrong. I am always trying to learn more and add on notions into the metagame, so I probably missed tons of stuff anyways.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RIVwXTN9G9NEfTkcou-x_cqL6sxThqlHJA7ptX_ccwU

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It might be worth a sticky in the competitive (/ general) forums when complete.

I couldn't find anything to disargree with and It explains the meta game pretty well. My only advice would be to add some pictures as examples for good and bad positioning.

Are you going to cover things like room positioning, ambushing and effective engaging as well?

Ps: Viel Spaß in Köln.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The VOD of saunamen vs imagine doesnt work, so im reading this instead.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This was a great read for someone like me who hasn't had as much play time on marines as i have had on aliens, its nice to get an idea of whats going on in high lvl marine players head.
    I really should get more time & practice on marines I'm sure its one of the factors holding me back from becoming a better player but i really enjoy playing aliens, def gonna check out the alien section when its complete.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Extremely useful stuff in there blind. Thanks for the contribution!
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Thanks for the feedback!

@G_Lock
    Since I am away the whole week I probably won't have any time before next weekend to start on the alien chapter but I will hit a reminder once I got there.

@Bicsum
    Considering it, but I also have other plans....it involves b1 and an idea I've had since the NS2 Beta ;)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wow, great work! Will read through this.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Never played competitive? PUBS too disorganized? Take blind's mindless rambling and apply it in game in a semi-coordinated atmosphere!

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133287/ns2-pug-community-looking-to-play-more-organized-ns2-games#latest
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    You have some overlap with the ministry of silly strats.
    Gorge Hydra Rush - The process of at least one gorge going into marine base, preferably starting base, and placing and defending all his/their hydras. I have done this alone once, and often with a buddy. To be really effective you need at least 3 gorges but the more the better. 9 can take out marines and structures quick. Once you are set up you need to hop around keeping it so the marines can't focus one gorge down. Heal your buddies so they can heal you too. Spit when you have an opportunity to help kill marines and structures. Bonus points if you can build some clog defenses too. Extra bonus points if you can get a gorge tunnel with support structures such as crag/shift/whip.

Turret Rush - Build a robo factory in base. Send everyone to the hive (ideally the long way, to avoid most of the skulks). Set up turrets in a spot with LoS to the hive. Protect the turrets until they take the hive down. Bonus points if you get an armory and mines up too.

Early Whip Rush - Requires gorges, and shift hive is extremely helpful. Have a gorge build whips. Get tunnel to marine base. Echo whips. Another way includes cysting into marine base quickly with gorge support. Works great in tandem with Gorge Hydra Rush.

Whack a Gorge - Have as many players go gorge as possible. Get at least two gorge tunnels into marine base. Build more tunnels within marine base. Go in and out of tunnels as unpredictable as possible spitting at marines and structures. Turns into whack a skulk. Works great in tandem with Gorge Hydra Rush.

No Cyst Xeno Rush - Best executed on veil. Every single alien goes gorge, drops a tunnel in nano, and two reaming tech point RTs, all the gorges clog up rooms (including alien start), grow harvesters really fast, put hydras, power building hives etc. Khamm spends no res on cysts or drifters, only has to manage res correctly (i.e. build whips, start skulk upgrades, bio upgrades, drop hives). According to my calculations, xeno is possible in between 5-6, tho we tried a few times (pub) and never had flawless execution, xeno was at about 7 minutes. When xeno is done, invest in gorge upgrade + shift hive to teleport eggs. You don't want any upgrades, as your skulks don't explode when they evolve... Get shifts around the map, so skulks can leap a lot to gain speed, instead of wasting time to get cele. And spam eggs.

Exo/Jetpack Rush - Can be completed in ~5 minutes. Get a as many rt's as you can and defend them as best as possible. Once your protolab choice is done, rush alien hive. Selling AA when rushing exos is a nice way to get extra money for upgrades and macs.

Catpack Rush - Get your two natural rt's while catpacks are researching. Be as conservative with your res as possible. Once catpacks are research rush alien hive. Provide cat packs, medpacks, and ammo as needed. Infinite bonus points to those who axe hive to death. 5 marines with catpacks will axe a hive down in seconds.

Whack a Rine Turtle - Place as many phasegates in base as possible in base in random locations, so aliens can't tell where you will be coming from next. Upgrades, and infantry portals amount will determine success.

Flaming Tower Turtle - Get as many welder marines and flamethrower marines in command station as possible. Welders keep the command chair's hp up while flamethrower's keep aliens from attacking. Drop medpacks and ammo on chair as needed to keep marines alive. Spores can penetrate chair. Extremely difficult. Please record if you attempt this. Please.

Air France - Everyone goes lerk at 25 pres and rushes marine start. Bonus points if everyone spams the taunt key (KAA KAAAA!). Massive bonus points if you manage to have umbra or spore up in time.

The Centipede - Have marine get their axes out. Have every marine walk in a single file line directly to the hive. Bonus points if they walk in a S pattern.

The Dragon - Rush Flamethrowers. Have every marine walk in a single file line directly to the hive. Bonus points if they walk in a S pattern.

Welders OP - Every marine gets a welder. Have every marine drop guns, to have slightly more agility. Focus on dodging skulks and everying group weld a skulk. The welders range and DPS will kill a skulk quickly especially with a team mate. Walk to hive. Kill hive. Only works early game, lerks and higher are immune to this. Gorges are pesky with their spits, just dodge.

Drifter Spam - Send copious amounts of drifters along side a base rush. The drifters will distract marines visually, reduce their fps, and be meat shields for higher life forms. Move them around so they can't be focused down.

The Slow Rush - Have a gorge build cysts and support structures and slowly move your defenses towards marine base. Eventually into marine base. A gorge and at least two skulks are needed. Decimate everything in your path.

Grenade Launcher Rush - Get two groups of marines standing on opposite ends of hive. Spam grenades at each other till hive is dead.

Hand Grenade Rush - Spam grenades into hive until dead. Need armory.

Mine Rush - Every marine buys mines. Walk to hive. Place mines everywhere. Laugh as skulks try to get to you. As they suicide themselves to remove mines, shoot down hive.

Trapped - Get gorge tunnels in marine naturals early game. Defend and block them inside.

Sentry's Covering Sentry's Covering Sentry's - Must find location where 3 sets of sentries can be placed in close proximity or it doesn't count as silly. Only known location at the moment is on Tram (north tunnels, platform, and warehouse) Picture here. If you know more locations like this please inform, remember must be three sets of sentries or more.

But really though, this is great.