"Game files do not match the server's..."

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    @goliath vietnam
    Your posts are not helpful, i am afraid.
    I asked for information on your HD, and the files that failed.
    You unfortunately provided neither. :-/

@ [awe]sentinel
    Awesome, thanks!
    Please confirm by right clicking male.model in explorer, that the size of the file ON DISK is:
    104 MB (109,780,992 bytes)

263 changed nothing with the models, just with how consistency checking works
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    It is 104 MB (109.780.580 Bytes) and from the 15.10.2013.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Thats the size, but the "SIZE ON DISK" should be different.
    please confirm

I have to assume that if the sizes are the same, that the only issue occurring here is outdated servers / servers that haven't been properly updated.
    Ah ok, thought you meant the hdd. My windows is in german xD

104 MB (109.780.992 Bytes). Seems to be the same as yours...
    Can you try an official server please? (and confirm that the same file fails after trying)
  • KARYURAKARYURA FRANCE Join Date: 2014-02-17 Member: 194116Members
    edited February 2014
    for my part

models/marine/male/male.model
    106MB (109 780 992 Bytes)

models/marine/female/female.model
    106MB (111 296 512 Bytes)

the male model seems the same as yours

as Goliath Vietnam I'm using Windows XP
    edited February 2014
    @KARYURA‌
    Thanks, would you mind trying my previous instructions as well please?
    Need to rule out a few things, still
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    As of the latest build 263 this has been happening ~80% of the time during map change. One round plays fine, but as soon as a map change rolls around it gets to precaching then exits to menu posting that exact message. Upon reaching the menu there is terrible lag, necessitating a restart for the menu to even be usable (pressing exit causes game to freeze).
    I played on an official server yesterday, but the server wasn't changing the map and I got some internet disconnections so I could not test it enough. (boy what long and unpleasant rounds with unfriendly people...) But I joined an empty official-server and changed the map by vote roughly 20 times. Nothing happend. So I tested an empty favorite server where I get the problem and changed there as well. Not a sign of a problem. The loading times were a lot faster with only one person on the server. Maybe I was lucky, maybe I need a full server to experience it. I will try it again this evening.
    Thanks sentinel.
    My suspicion is outdated servers remaining.. So we definitely need to rule this out by testing on official servers
    thank you IronHorse

One more time I tried to "optimize" the game as it is always requested since the last update
    As always it failed during the precaching

Error: File 'models/marine/male/male.model
    Error: File 'models/marine/female/female.model

Then I skip the optimize window and tried to log to official server (EU #1)

As always it failed
    but the error messages are differents

Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 3 memory leaks in 'D3D9Device' (252 bytes)
    Error: 3 memory leaks in 'Client' (252 bytes)
    Error: 3 memory leaks in 'Engine' (252 bytes)

edited February 2014
    @KARYURA‌
    those are not errors, really, they are benign and everyone gets them.

Next time you fail to switch maps on an official server please provide your techsupport.exe zip file. (found in your ns2 install folder)
    Thanks!

TO EVERYONE REPORTING THIS ISSUE:

Please deactivate and unsubscribe from all mods so that we can rule them out.
    Especially right after a patch mods can and do tend to break stuff. If it works with your mods off, there isn’t a whole lot we or UWE can do to help you because it is a problem with a mod someone else wrote. You can always try to get in touch with the mod’s author and report the bug to them.
    You can get rid of your mods in 3 steps:
    • Unsubscribe from using the button in the workshop, through steam.
    • In NS2, you can deactivate things in the mods menu by clicking on things so that the active column reads NO
    • If all else fails, you can go to %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ and delete the workshop folder. The easiest way to get there is to press the windows button and the letter r, as in pirates, type in in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2 and press enter
      Ml2xnME.png
    Thank you IronHorse

I launched the game and this time there wasn't the request to optimize the game
    So that I tried to log into a server (official) and it worked

the game is still at build 263 so I don't understand why it worked
    I will try again tonight

@KARYURA
    Interesting.. Was this after you removed the mods?
    The optimization prompt has been tied to outdated mods, before.
  • LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    edited March 2014
    After rechecking this topic i decided to test-join some servers again to hopefully pickup on a pattern / gather more information. To my surprise, everything works !

Able to join ns2_caged (BTmod server)
    Able to join ns2_tanith (NS1 classic modded server) I know ns2_tanith was failing for me, not sure if related at all to NSclassic servers
    Able to join ns2_jambi on a standard server (wooza's playground 40slot). I know for sure that jambi was giving me the error
    Able to join ns2_assault (combat server) <First time joining a combat server and ns2_assault, EVER>
    Able to join _NSL_ maps which were giving me the error (not sure if 100% of the time though, i dont remember)

NS2_Kodiak worked for me on B263
    All other custom maps (used to) give me the error. Only on B263

Literally the ONLY thing(s) that have changed on my computer in the last few days are :
    I updated my NVIDIA graphics card driver
    I installed Renegade-X (FPS game)

-Windows Vista 24bit Service pack 2 [ Just kidding, 32-bit ]
    -7200.12RPM 500gigs Seagate hard drive containing windows and steam on different partitions (SAME DRIVE, DIFFERENT PARTITIONS). Second internal Mechanical hard-drive connected for video / music files only.
    -Nvidia GTX 260 XFXblack edition 896MB Dedicated video ram, 1663mb Total available graphics memory
    -EVGA Motherboard
    - 4gigs of ram connected

They.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @KARYURA
    Interesting.. Was this after you removed the mods?
    The optimization prompt has been tied to outdated mods, before.

No I had removed the folder as soon as I had the problem

I launched the game one more time tonight and this time too there wasn't the request to optimize the game
    I tried to log into another server (official) and it worked
    (note that the server used "NSL summit") the map was biodome
    maybe the problem came from specific maps

so I tried another server (map = docking) it didn't work
    then I tried another server (map = summit) it worked
    then I tried another server (map = eclipse) it worked

• Airwolf_sweAirwolf_swe Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-15 Member: 190114Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Ive tried out a couple more stuff now

I noticed this problem seems to be tied to some servers, some servers seems to do mapchange just fine.
    a small amount 1-2 server I cant even join anymore since 263, but I was able to join all servers in 262.

Im sorry I cant remember the servername exactly at this moment

Sever I can join without problem mapchange works fine

*Multiplay scotland or scotyard, Its name scot something
    *Russia 2 server

Server I can join but then files does not match on mapchange
    * DB UK d u m b a s s this one also has shine admin mod I think
    *lots more servers, I will fill in more server moreover

Server cant join at all:
    *SWE thirsty onos, I get a very different error message than the other something with physx, load map models fail and so on very different. The only mod they have installed are map kodiak and jambai which I played before in 262 + SHINE mod adminstration.

And whenever I get the files do not match error I noticed I seems to happen when the map precached around 6% and then the mappicture changes to the Natural selection 2 default picture. And when it crash back to main screen all the HUD in main menu seems to be transparent I cant click on server. So I have to close NS2 and open it again.

Full report:
    Ive already tried:
    *manually reverified local cache files
    *delete workshop folder in C userdata,
    *delete lua in ns2
    *delete lua in core,
    *delete whole Natural selection map
    *disable all mods,
    *change setting light high/low
    *change reflection light high/low
    *change HUD display high/low
    *try precache more on and off
    *turn off steam cloud and then turn on
    *turn off/on steam in game overlay
    *update visual c++ redistrubated.
    *male model size on disk is same as ironhorse
    *update windows
    *update catalyst to latest supported drivers for my GPU R3800 serie 13.1

Win xp 32bit
    My OS is on different disk than Natural seletion 2
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Server cant join at all:
    *SWE thirsty onos, I get a very different error message than the other something with physx, load map models fail and so on very different. The only mod they have installed are map kodiak and jambai which I played before in 262 + SHINE mod adminstration.

I run [SWE] The Thirsty Onos # 1 and # 2. Installed mods are Shine admin, NS2Stats (Shine), Jambi and Kodiak. If you have the time I would like to make some tests with you. I can remove all the mods from one server to see if it's those that are causing the connection problems.
    edited March 2014
    Seeing as how people are reporting joining UWE official (which includes Multiplay) servers successfully.. i have to assume that this is a serverside mod causing this and is out of our control.

@KARYURA‌
    Removing the folder alone will not remove mods. See my previous instructions. When you open the console at the main menu, (~ key) you can read the print out and if it says "mod installed" or "mod mounted" .. you still have a mod.
  • NovisNovis Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19193Members
    I have the same problem with both the male.model and female.model files being logged as failing consistency, yet, after deleting the files so that they are being re-transferred by steam, they still fail.
    Thats the size, but the "SIZE ON DISK" should be different.
    please confirm
    The "size on disk" is rounded to sector blocks usage, so it's more an "over the thumb" comparison that is pretty pointless in this case (and ignores wrong/corrupted data in the files).
    I have to assume that if the sizes are the same, that the only issue occurring here is outdated servers / servers that haven't been properly updated.
    The optimizing stage already fails with a consistency check. AFAIK the optimize procedure does not connect to a remote server, but to localhost.

It seems more likely that the files are ok, but the consistency check is bugged, please try not to ignore this so hard.

@SWE: I can join the servers. But mapchange is causing the consistency error from time to time. Same goes for the db-server. I think I have it more often on the HBZ server though. Can't still tell you about the official servers. It seems like they never change the map (and have some rubber-banding issues o.O) :P

If it worked with 262 and the male/female files weren't altered. Why would a mod cause the consistency check to think that it is a different file? How can a mod influence the check? And why is it always the same file?
    edited March 2014

@KARYURA‌
    Removing the folder alone will not remove mods. See my previous instructions. When you open the console at the main menu, (~ key) you can read the print out and if it says "mod installed" or "mod mounted" .. you still have a mod.

as always thank you

no mod for me

today I could'nt log to sandbox (map = docking)
    but I could log on UWE official server

edited March 2014
    Novis wrote: »
    It seems more likely that the files are ok, but the consistency check is bugged, please try not to ignore this so hard.
    I know this is probably a language barrier issue and you didn't mean it the way it sounds.. butttt.. just in case: i am not "ignoring" anything. :)

This issue has not been isolated to being a result of local files, observe:
    KARYURA wrote: »
    today I could'nt log to sandbox (map = docking)
    but I could log on UWE official server
    Also, it is not a widespread problem.. meaning obviously not ever NS2 player is unable to play, and many of us (including myself) have zero issues.
    So i have a hard time jumping the gun and declaring that the issue is the new consistency checking for everyone.
    There's some combination of things contributing to this..

Can everyone here please provide the text/ contents of your ConsistencyConfig.json located in your hidden folder :
    C:\Users\Ironhorse\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\

I haven't seen anyone in this thread that is having this problem who has nuked their appdata\ns2 folder yet, so there's a chance their consistency file hasn't been updated? idk..
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Is it possible that these servers are running NSL maps? With the lighting changes, I believe NSL maps cause a problem?
    Great question.. i wish i had this problem so that i could quickly narrow down the cause. Difficult relying on everyone else to do the testing :-/
    Novis wrote: »
    Can everyone here please provide the text/ contents of your ConsistencyConfig.json located in your hidden folder :

Thank you very much for your help
    today I could'nt log on any server nor any training map with bots

here the content of my ConsistencyConfig.json file
    this file is located in \USER\Application Data\Natural Selection 2
    I have no Roaming folder
    {
    "restrict": [ "lua/entry/*.entry" ],
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.hlsl", "*.shader", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.level", "*.dds", "*.jpg", "*.png", "*.cinematic", "*.material", "*.model", "*.animation_graph", "*.polygons", "*.fev", "*.fsb" ],
    "ignore": [ "ui/*.dds", "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model", "models/marine/hands/*" ]
    }
    { "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]}

I get it on servers that use not a single nsl map as well.

I whish I had your pc ironhorse or that uwe would play only with my pc for a year or two. Would love to see their reactions.
  • NovisNovis Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19193Members
    edited March 2014
    I know this is probably a language barrier issue and you didn't mean it the way it sounds.. butttt.. just in case: i am not "ignoring" anything. :)
    I apologize, there was a bit of a raised eyebrow showing through. Maybe "let's not focus so much on what the game tells you about broken files so much" would be appropriate:

These are the MD5 checksums of the model files (search for "md5 tool")
    MD5:
    7bd7a74b1c39045e2d3bfcc670a0163c *male.model
    d8dc63a00662e9456ce3e48f857ccbe6 *female.model

Verifying these with a working installation should rule out broken files or Steam CDN issues.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread that is having this problem who has nuked their appdata\ns2 folder yet, so there's a chance their consistency file hasn't been updated? idk..
    I did, to remove all cached files and mods and avoid config issues. Still the same failure.

The file "ConsistencyConfig.json" looks like this:
    {
    "restrict": $ "lua/entry/*.entry" $,
    "check": $ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.hlsl", "*.shader", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.level", "*.dds", "*.jpg", "*.png", "*.cinematic", "*.material", "*.model", "*.animation_graph", "*.polygons", "*.fev", "*.fsb" $,
    "ignore": $ "ui/*.dds", "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model", "models/marine/hands/*" $
    }
    (edit: bbcode seems to fail and truncate the text with square brackets, so replace all $ with square brackets....)

Interestingly, removing the "*.model" entry from the check array does allow to start a local (sandbox) game.
    It also allows to join some, but not all servers - which is odd, wouldn't expect to have the consistency partly client-configurable, that'd kind of defeat the purpose, or may indicate that those servers where it works have outdated consistency cfgs?.

But for the sandbox, how can the check fail on the same machine where the local client/server uses the same files?
    Are the expected file checksums precached or hardcoded in some other core files (which may have evaded update)?

Maybe you could try it the other way around: On a working installation, move/rename the appdata-NS2 folder to start with a "fresh" config (unmodified consistency cfg, cleared cache, mods etc.) and see if everything still works.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I tried disabling all mods on one of the [SWE]Thirsty Onos servers and Airwolf_swe had no problems connecting to that one. I haven't heard about anyone else having connection problems but the players with problems might not contact me about it.

Any suggestions what I can do about it? It has to be one of the mods that is causing the problem. Shine admin or NS2Stats (shine).
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I tried disabling all mods on one of the [SWE]Thirsty Onos servers and Airwolf_swe had no problems connecting to that one. I haven't heard about anyone else having connection problems but the players with problems might not contact me about it.

Any suggestions what I can do about it? It has to be one of the mods that is causing the problem. Shine admin or NS2Stats (shine).

I had such a issue in the past with a user who used Gentoo.

https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/issues/307

After a while i figured out that somehow the automatically downloading of the mod failed. The workaround was simple for the user to subscribe to the mod via workshop and empty the workshop folder before that.