Friday Nights at TGNS: Captains Games

WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited February 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
An open invitation:

On Friday nights, TGNS hosts "Captains Night" -- a full evening of "Captains Games" (basically PUGs): team "captains" are designated to pick teams back and forth, one player at a time (Captains optionally COMM). Two rounds are played, switching teams in between rounds. With a bit of team planning and discussion before each round, it often strikes a great balance between casual and competitive play.

Anyone is welcome, and we password protect the server to ensure that everyone present has read and prefers the enforced protocols of the server and the event.

We also allow several spectators, so anyone wishing to simply watch (or stream) is welcome.

We typically have enough slots for almost everyone who shows up, so be punctual if you want to participate in any way.

Reserved slots are always disabled during Captains Games (Friday nights or not; Captains Games often occur spontaneously during the week at TGNS).

miragezors runs the event each week. He always creates a TGNS forum thread on Fridays including a refresher on the event's protocol and a password for connecting. That reading is a prerequisite for all participants -- again, to make sure everyone participating is on the same page and can hit the ground running when the event starts.

If Captains Nights sounds like fun, please to try to join us for some great games.

TGNS is Tactical Gamer Natural Selection, with public servers hosted in the United States. Our servers can be found in the server browser under "TacticalGamer.com". Our Natural Selection - General Discussion forum can answer any questions about Captains Night or anything else about our servers and community.

Comments

• OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is something worth checking out. Great games of back and forth action. But like Wyzcrak says come early as its becoming very popular.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just a reminder -- there will be more Captains Games tonight (Friday). Anyone welcome to join. Reserved slots are disabled once the server is in Captains mode.
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    i'm curious

but tell me something. the people that participate in these...gatherings...they're all clean right? you can vouch for them?
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yes. They're clean.

All are welcome, but it's a very popular event, so the server is commonly filled with folks who all know each other -- that is, TGNS regulars who excel at exploiting the pros and cons of each others' gameplay strengths and weaknesses. We have a wonderful time.

In addition to allowing 16 players, the servers allow 6 spectators. Because these games can be very entertaining to watch, all six spectator slots are often filled during Captains Games on Friday nights.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    With all my Div 4 teams having completed all their games, I could shout cast these captain nights to add a bit of flavor to my twitch channel if anyone is interested.

See signature for twitch channel.
    When you cast, lots of folks would appreciate your sharing your videos in the TG Captain's Match Videos thread.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I know you referred us to your forums, but could you post the time here?
    7PM Central.

The gameserver password for the evening is posted about 20 minutes prior in our forum. We ask that anyone joining the event please /personally/ see that forum thread (as opposed to asking a friend for the password). This "come to the forums for the password" aspect of the event is one of the ways we familiarize folks with our forum community, even if only in a small way.
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    are masks worn? i'm a discreet, career driven lady
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I've participated in the TG Captain's Nights. They're great & very welcoming. I highly recommend them.
    Two really fun rounds from a recent Captains Game. Hearing voicecomms from BOTH teams /simultaneously/, the tension is fanTAStic as a Spectator. BOTH teams' communication and coordination are sufficiently representative of what our Captains Games typically offer. Sooooo fun!

Round 1
    Round 2

In addition to our regular Friday night events, we also play Captains Games throughout the week, unscheduled (players vote the mode in). The server allows up to six spectators at all times.