Welcome, to Subnautica

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to welcome you as we embark on a new adventure.

It's a bit strange, and quite exciting to start talking to you guys about our new game. It harkens back to the time we announced NS2, and even back to when I started working on NS1, back in 2001. This is another one of those times that I hope we look back upon fondly, and remember "the good old days".

We've learned a lot since making NS2, and we are eager to try something different. Something that tantalizes the imagination. Something that gives you shivers. Something not based around competition, or fast-paced action. Something that gives you a sense of wonder, as you dive deep into a world no one else has ever seen before, nor may ever see again.

This game is really different from NS2. But as one of our playtesters said after seeing the first prototype "I can tell that UWE made this game".

Even though the theme, world and game genre are very different, I hope all of you feel the same way. And along the way, I hope to grow our little awesome little island into a continent, filled with many new friends.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Good luck!

... wait, there are PLAYTESTERS? WANT!

;)
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Always been a devoted fan towards the NS1/2 games. I've never been compelled to play anything other public/competetive after I started with NS and to me you made something very successful with it's ups and downs :)

When me and blind met you(Flayra) for interviews last time in cologne, we tried to get some info out of you, but no such luck ^^. Glad to see you are doing something different. Also getting to meet all the other people from the community there was just an amazing experience all together, even though they lost my luggage and my phone got stolen lol.

With that said, I wish UWE the best of luck with your new project "SN" and I'll be following to find out where you take it. GLHF!
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    When we met in cologne, I also tried to get something out of you. I thought I had luck, but you told me it would be a multi-player game (PvP) without competitive focus. So I was a little surprised to hear that subnautica is planned as single-player atm. Were you talking about another game idea when we talked, or did you want to fool me?

I like the subnautica concept (the little that is known) and am happy that you're going in a new direction. Good luck guys. If there's need for a playtester, I'd be up to it anytime :)
  • UndeadfredUndeadfred Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187809Members
    Dibs!!

You all saw it I called Dibs. Pretty sure that means you have to let me in on the playtest/alpha.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Wow, December 2013... Subnautica has come such a long way! Props to all of you guys at UWE! Thank you for such an amazing game, seriously!
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    edited July 2016
    @ComicalSkate definitely!

congratulations to you devs! And thank you for your wonderful game!
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited July 2016
    We need some Subnautica "then" (earliest playable build(s)) to "now" (latest experimental build or stable) videos to celebrate! Wait a moment... Then...

Build 10976; can we find earlier???

And now!

Build 33409, woohoo!
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I love this game. Where you don't wield swords or guns to survive (maybe). Just your brain... :)