pg_crawler

[AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
edited October 2013 in Mapping
I am working right now on a Proving Grounds map:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189552425

It is a greybox and Occlusion is missing. But I decided to go for an early release in order to get more influenced by you all. The map needs to be started with the Proving Grounds mod. Otherwise you will get only error messages when you load it.

How to start the map?
The level file should be in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop". It has the name: mb4c5729 (gosh I whish the folder would get the mod name and the ID behind it and not only the cryptic ID).

You can copy/paste the map into your ns2/maps folder, but it won't be displayed in the menu list, because it has pg_ and not ns2_ in its name. You can start the map by writing "map pg_crawler" into the console or select it in the play menu after you start the Proving Grounds (Alpha) mod in the mod list first. You can subscribe to it here: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189616380&searchtext=proving

How does the map look like?
imgur.com/a/iKFYm#0

Have fun and let me know what you think!

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Sorry for the lack of pictures. I will add some as soon as the map is a bit more presentable xD
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What's the map file called? I searched for pg_crawler, but couldnt find it.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Can we even run this map without the pg mod?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    well, you can always open it in the editor.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It would be nice to at least see an overview map of the whole thing, to get an idea of the layout.
    You can't make overviews yet. I could draw you something though :P

Yes, there is only the pg_crawler.level file in so far. You can download it and open it with the editor to get a first impression. If you follow SoulRiders instructions in the modding forum, you can run around inside as well. It is actually very easy.

I hope I can upload a few pictures tomorrow. A map thread without pictures is kinda pointless. Just wanted to throw the level out here first.
    Yes, there is only the pg_crawler.level file in so far. You can download it and open it with the editor to get a first impression. If you follow SoulRiders instructions in the modding forum, you can run around inside as well. It is actually very easy.

I tried. I didn't find the file.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    You can't make overviews yet. I could draw you something though :P

I hope I can upload a few pictures tomorrow. A map thread without pictures is kinda pointless. Just wanted to throw the level out here first.

Or just fly up really really high in the editor. ;)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    What do you mean you can't make overviews yet?
    Soul Rider says it is not possible atm. There is no minimap ingame, maybe that is not a PG feature right now ;)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There are no overviews. There are no maps. The idea is this is a high speed Team Death Match, so levels should be fairly simple to learn. They also should be level over level, so maps don't really work. Think original quake, etc.
    I cleaned my pg install and reset the mod. Now the jump_pads are working. I added them to the map. Right now they just teleport you upwards, but I added some locations that will add speed to forward or downward movement = some jumpds don't match yet. They will nevertheless show you what I intend with the placement. The pads are marked by a small gorge bate ball.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Cool, once I have released finished adding features in Alpha, I will then move to improve teh jump pads and other things. I just have quite a few things to add before I go back to improve stuff, like item spawns, and other movement abilities.

It shouldn't be too long though before I get you an updated version.
    No problem, most pads are for vertical use anyways and that makes the map ready for testing! ;)
    Just grab me on steam whenever you want it tested..
    edited October 2013
    Alright, here are the promised pictures! Think of it as an alpha or concept art. Jumping around makes more fun though ;)

imgur.com/a/iKFYm/embed

Edit: I made a short video with ns2 recording as well. Any idea how I can convert the file to something you can actually use for uploading?
    Looks cool, but you need to scale the jump pad triggers up. They work when an entity enters the trigger, so the trigger needs to cover the whole jump pad, not just a box in the middle :)
    I added a few bigger pads, but most of them are still small. That's right. But I wanted to safe some work and make them bigger once the custom models arrive ^_^`

Right now I give the map a first painting. If im done I can make the pads bigger and remove the non-vertical pads.
    edited October 2013
    What's the map file called? I searched for pg_crawler, but couldnt find it.

Did you find the level file?
    It should be in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop". It has the name: mb4c5729 (gosh I whish the folder would get the mod name and the ID behind it and not only the cryptic ID).

You can copy/paste the map into your ns2/maps folder, but it won't be displayed in the menu list, because it has pg_ and not ns2_ in its name. You can start the map by writing "map pg_crawler" into the console or select it in the play menu after you start the Proving Grounds (Alpha) mod in the mod list first. You can subscribe to it here: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189616380&searchtext=proving

Sorry for the late answer :D

- Uploaded a textured version right now and added a few details to the crawler. I wanted to get rid of the grey and try a few combinations. It doesn't look awesome
    and I think it could use a few team colored custom textures.

- You have to imagine two doors around the center tower. PG won't use them yet.

- Added death triggers with 30 dmg/s next to the fans.
    Just updated the map with custom team colors. They are a bit bright. I like the purple one, but the green one looks like a traffic sign :P Any input on this?
    I've run around the map for a bit and i have the following feedback for you.

There are no open spaces for fighting:

This is designed like a map of NS2 corridors, without rooms to fight in. This is a high speed deathmatch mod, and yet, you can't do anything high-speed, because you hit a wall or a roof. There is no room to rocket jump, or do any maneuvers to avoid others while fighting.

Too many jump pads:

This map feels like a trick map, where you have to try and chain jumps together to do something, but it does not fit the feel of the mod.

I like the idea, but this map is too small, enclosed and too confusing. The maps are supposed to be easy to learn, but this map feels a lot like a maze.

Try rocket jumping in your map, try dodging in your map. You realise very quickly that the basic requirements of the mod, space to maneuver quickly and frenetically, do not exist. This is about ranged weapon fighting, but players will kill themselves more often than not firing gl's and rockets in the small spaces.