Ns2_Stratos

FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
edited June 2014 in Mapping
I've started working on this map last week and I want to try to get a play test in by next week if possible.

First test:

Lighting
Clipping error
Line of sight issues
Major choke points
Distance between Resource A to B
Distance between X room to Middle
Possible Vent locations

Second test:

Commander Cameras
Commander Alpha
Navmesh

Third test and onwards:

Regular games for further refinement

There's no overview of the map as of right now. I will try to get that up by next week. If I missed anything please let me know. I really want to get this map to be playable within 1 month so I still got a lot of work cut out for me.

Here's my progress so far.

bcuoJNn.jpg
IGHL5LT.jpg
gqqtygi.jpg
UVLyDet.jpg
Fhs0i83.jpg
1SAXA4V.jpg

Comments

• [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Very good!

Very good job, maybe some textures are a little stretched but I like what I see...

Keep up the good work!
  • Dr_RandomDr_Random Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184884Members
    1: Looks very nice! 2: Did you build a robot out of the dropship and exo models in the second to last image? And does it have ARCs for feet? Because I approve.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Dr_Random I'm pretty sure that is a GIANT sentry
  • FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    Most of the layout here are temporary. It took me roughly 1 day to make each room and it's pretty much my greybox. I only have a couple of rooms and some hallways left to do. Hope i can have a playtest of the map soon. I'll most likely remodel the mech and import it into the map later on.
    edited October 2013
    Now that the editor is finally fix I can start making updates on my map again.
    The SS are taken from the editor because I didn't setup for the map to play in-game yet.

This is the current layout I'm aiming for. Pretty much like Tram.
    fnSnV3m.jpg

Changed generator room so it looks more spacious.
    Is2kykf.jpg

Currently working on my research room. Need to change the textures on some of the objects.
    aCnk9Ft.jpg
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    It looks realy awsome. Cant wait for some in game screens.
    edited October 2013
    still need to work with the lighting.
    7sP3Lhj.jpg?1
    edited October 2013
    Going to need some help here.

Yellow = Tech Point
    orange = RT
    Purple = Choke Point
    6CNXZ9B.png?1

Keep in mind that this is a very rough layout. The highlights just generalize the pathing of the map
    I'm wondering if anyone has any idea to make the layout more consistent or if anyone see a major flaw in a specific location. Any feedback will help me greatly.

EDIT: Latest Revision
    p27uLZR.png
    Current Timing on map
    EhGYJGI.png
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    I would reduce the timing of the two 23sec runs, as they unbalance the map, other than that, I have to say it looks a lot like summit from the layout, although the screens are very beautfiul.
    edited November 2013
    I should be able to get the map playtest ready pretty soon

SW corner ( reworking texture + need lighting)
    xfSpDYm.jpg?1

SE corner. Tried messing around with wallmods and walltrim. way too limited in what I can do. (need to re-texture and add lighting)
    aXeirJY.jpg?1
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    You may want to limit how many accessory props you use. They increase the draw calls quite a bit.
    Finally coming out of greybox stage and starting to work on more detailing. Really wish I could have my map tested beforehand but This will have to do for now until February.

Currently remaking cargo ( a lot less brown).
    SorSetM.jpg?1

Completely remade 1 of me tech points (2nd picture from my previous post)
    yA3UTEd.jpg?1

Hallway Leading to the new tech point
    5mR2cPm.jpg?1
    edited January 2014
    The map is finally up and running on the workshop!
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217032470
    I know some locations are really big and open and the travel time in some locations are too long. I'm currently fixing these problems at the moment but I would really like to get some testing done before I do anything else.

Some screenshots of my current progress.
    pwL4fhH.jpgXteJ8cU.jpgAPmGOBa.jpgUvynUz6.jpgNWwlL7d.jpgS1p494v.jpgVVWwLdM.jpgCO1YbbP.jpgU92qghD.jpg
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Looks fantastic! Hope I'll be lucky enough to get some rounds on it sometime!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Looks great, can't wait to play it!

You should get hold of the guys who organise the SCC, they have weekly map testing sessions for in progress maps. There is a thread here in the forums, although I am sure one of them will see this soon enough, a map release does not escape their attention long :D
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Our eyes are everywhere and our minions number beyond a mortal's ken. There is little that escapes our terrible gaze...

And on a more serious note, the map is looking good from those screenshots, look forward to giving it a shake down on Sunday.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    edited January 2014
    *SCC pose it's terrible gaze on NS2_Stratos, a chant can be heard in the dark corners of steam*

"On sunday night, the mappers unite.
    Stratos is up, fill some rum in my cup!

Troop will rant, all mortals are ants.
    In kodiaks dome, loki is working on his throne.
    Flat is on caged, an evening is staged.

Come and have fun, but if you're not on my team, I'll kick your bum."

P.s: Love the progress, can't wait for sunday!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well, yeah: As you already noticed, it's too open and too big - while it's surely an awesomely looking map, you could probably scale down everything by half. There's some pretty long LoS, and a general... vastness, which feels epic but play bad.

Particular offenders would be cryo and Lobby, where it's hard for aliens too find any cover at all (can't really say for the rest; it's where I fought the most).
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    We played it last night, and the size is an issue. Each room kinda feels like it could be a tech point room. Long lines of sight, dead-endy bits here and there. It looks really good, but the scaling needs work. Have you tested your traveltimes?
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Just going to reiterate what @Flaterectomy said about the map having a size issue. The rooms are enormous with unobstructed fields of view which gives the Marines a huge advantage, and the same can be said for most of the connecting hallways. The map has absolutely fantastic style and each room seems extremely unique, however it ends up detracting from the game-play. I think a serious down-sizing of the rooms with no TP and removing some of the long and wide hallways might improve the map balance considerably.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is basically a clear example of a problem mappers tend to make. One can do amazing on the design of how a map looks, but it needed a lot more graybox testing. This map needs to be shrunk to like 66% of the size, and it should be rather okay. It needs a few things. Mostly line of sight issues everywhere, as even if this map was smaller, Marines have such an advantage in how open the map is. In the playtest I was in however, Aliens did win. That was because the silly size ended up helping as Aliens got to Gorge Tunnel so quick, Marines where just too slow.

There was some issues with cysts not connecting. It was impossible to cyst the north techpoint, cysts did not properly go though the center of the map. Drifters are also included in that as well.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    This is basically a clear example of a problem mappers tend to make. One can do amazing on the design of how a map looks, but it needed a lot more graybox testing. This map needs to be shrunk to like 66% of the size, and it should be rather okay. It needs a few things. Mostly line of sight issues everywhere, as even if this map was smaller, Marines have such an advantage in how open the map is. In the playtest I was in however, Aliens did win. That was because the silly size ended up helping as Aliens got to Gorge Tunnel so quick, Marines where just too slow.

There was some issues with cysts not connecting. It was impossible to cyst the north techpoint, cysts did not properly go though the center of the map. Drifters are also included in that as well.

If marines got pgs, it would've looked different, though. (@Howser! y no pg! D: )
    In the one on one battles, it was impossible for Aliens, especially skulks, by the time you are half-way across the room towards the marines, you were dead. Although the benefits of such big rooms? If the marines wanted to siege, they needed to be in the middle of the room, the arcs wouldn't be able to hit from outside (talking a Biolab spawn as we had last night).
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    edited January 2014
    I enjoyed finally playing this map, there is no reason to repeat what the others said on the size subject, I share the same view.. I liked the map, and I think with some more work, it could be really good, I found some stuff that I think you should consider.

The vent in the upper right room, that has its entry point near the TP, if a marine drops in there, there is no way out. You should provide marines a way out, if you make a vent, that they can get stuck in before JP.

I also think some of the best looking sections of the map, was in dead ends route wise. You would have all these cool cinematics for atmosphere going on, just to the left of where the game was actually being played out.

Maybe consider cutting down on the accesory prop amount in the lockers and cases, and emphasize your awesome looking detail for the main play areas, if you want your map to perform its best, on most players pc's, there's no reason to have so many bottles, guns, etc. Remove some and you make players happy, and you get extra space to make other awesome stuff!

Example, you should change the smog to be over the door and the pipes to be in the background, that would look really cool going out and in.
    5mR2cPm.jpg?1

Can't wait to see the coming builds, really good ground stone!
    edited February 2014
    Want to get a quick feedback before I start finalizing for testing again. This is a very rough layout of what the new map layout is going to be.

EDIT: Forgot to add in a rt point at the bottom right. woops

RED = Tech point
    BLUE = RT
    Green = Fixed spawn point
    Highlighted Yellow = underpass (going to fix that)

Average travel time 15s ( from Tech/RT to RT)
    fIInvjd.png
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    What might be awkward is the lack of connectivity on the northern half of the map. Sometimes custom maps suffer from over-connectivity, with multiple routes between two locations, but here it's TP->RT->TP->RT, similar to - for example - the old build of Docking where there was a single route with no junctions going from Terminal through East Wing, and to Departures.

I had a similar issue in Caged where there was a route with no junctions from Marine Start through Monitoring, Stability, Generator, Auxiliary Generator, and finally to Upper Shipping Access. I have since added a junction in Monitoring and one to Auxiliary Generator, as traversing that route was very linear, and having to change your destination midway meant just having to complete the loop anyway.
    That what I though at first But Since I'm doing fixed spawns the map will flow better without a route leading north. If this was random cross spawns then I would completely agree with you
    Fixed spawns does help the situation, but you'll still have a long linear route without options. It can work balance-wise, but from what I learned there's a good number of players who can get frustrated by this. It's perhaps not so much a balance issue, but a player psychology issue.