[Linux] Game has trouble with locales that use different decimal separator.

DerRiddaDerRidda Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154647Members
Whenever I try to start training or play a bot match the map won't load any further than a black screen with an orange cursor and my options are limited to Alt+F4 at that point.
I checked out the log and found that the team select Lua function was having trouble with nil values. Turns out the game doesn't ignore the culture/locale on the system it is running on and thus,
in the case of German locale, ends up with , as a decimal separator instead of . in some values like "dt = 0,025819681584835" for example.
Starting Steam with "LANG=en_US steam" made the game playable.
This is a very common issue I have seen with many fresh Linux ports, even Valve did it when they first ported their old GoldSrc games to Linux. ;)

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're aware of this as many of the PTs are Euros. The fix just did not make it in time for this patch. I'd recommend you temporarily switch to Starting Steam with "LANG=en_US steam" for now. Thanks!
  • abelthorneabelthorne Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187171Members
    Damn! Same problem that happened with Steam long ago, same problem with the beta of Sir You're Being Hunted... Looks like developers have problems on Linux with locale settings. ;)

Haven't tried the fix yet but if some have issues with DerRidda's solution, I guess it would work with the env var LC_ALL=C (rather than LANG=en_US).

Obraxis: do you plan to release a patch quickly?