Random Menu Picker and fan made menu screens!

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited July 2013 in Modding
I've created a little mod that will randomly choose a main menu cinematic that anyone can create. I've also made a (preview WIP) main menu cinematic of my own that I included in the mod to show that it works. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159183199

Randomly chooses a menu animation/cinematic from the folder ns2/cinematics/menus
To add menus, simply copy your menu into the folder and add a number at the end 1 greater than the highest number in the folder. So main_menu1.cinematic main_menu2.cinematic. Don't name any of them main_menu.cinematic as it won't read it. Then go into this mods folder, lua/Main.lua and change the constant "kNumOfMenus to however number of menus there are. Currently includes 2 cinematics. In the future I hope to be able to read how many files there are in cinematics/menus and automatically set the kNumOfMenus constant to correspond to how many there are. Also hope to make it so that anyone can make a menu and simply have it so it puts it in cinematics/menus along with what I mentioned above so it is easier to use. But I can't figure out how to do that at the moment, so any help would be great!

I will make in depth instructions once this progresses further. Right now it is somewhat complicated, but it is possible for someone to make a menu themselves and make it an mod, and then you will be able to just enable that mod and it will be added to the random switcher. They would just need to follow the conventions I used here, by putting the cinematic in cinematics/menus of their mod folder, and include the level they used in the cinematic, but not named menu.level.

Here is what I have so far with my menu

If you would like to download just my menu and not the random switcher http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159172589

Comments