ns2_uplift

Dr_RandomDr_Random Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184884Members
edited September 2013 in Mapping
Workshop link, so it's not buried halfway through the post: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144365637

I hope I put this in the right place: I recently took to playing around with the editor, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at the beginnings of a map I've made while it's still very simple and malleable. It isn't an especially strange layout, 5tps/11rts, mostly spaced TP-empty-RT-empty-TP. I'm hoping the three center rooms will be the interesting part, acting like a double RT center point, but spread across 3 distinct spaces. (Also, there are no vents/real secondary paths yet.) http://imgur.com/XIpQgAm; (Imgur because I didn't seem to get upload to work right)
It's worth noting, since the pic doesn't describe it well, that the center room (2) will be a large vertical shaft with a main walkway running across it. There'll be cargo crates on a number of rails running from the depths below to various loading bays at various heights in the sides of the shaft. One of these is below the walkway, and leads into the next room (3).
I annotated some significant missing features with orange (I only colored a few of the more noteworthy ones):
1, 2: Blocks to avoid excessive lines of sight down the center of the map
3: A catwalk fro the entrance of the shaft room, with stairs down to the lower floor in this room
4, 5: Something large and unwieldy to slow movement and block line of sight through here
Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on the idea. Thanks for your time!

(edited 2013/6/1 to fix format-hell)
(edited 2013/9/28 to add workshop link)

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Welcome to the mapping forums.. the right place to post stuff like this!
    I like the ideas behind it but right not the bottom section seems very compact, try spreading it out abit more. It'll read better in the overview and stop arcs being OP.
    I'd really recommend studying the official maps by looking at them ingame, in-editor and through the overview maps, you'll get an idea of the scale, spacing (etc) works.
    A few mappers from the forums (along with myself) run a custom map server along with routine playtests. A great place to learn and make friends with other mappers, add me on steam and I'll sort you out with the details.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Sounds like it would be hard to start in the left TP, with no easy access to a res node... Also, the very bottom room will most likely not be used as anything but a hallway between the two rooms connected to it.

I'm sure someone who knows what their talking about will find something else :P

Other than that however, I like it's (as you describe it) three center layout.

PS: 4 could be like the reactor core in Summit, 5 could be cooling/oil/data towers or something :)
  • Dr_RandomDr_Random Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184884Members
    @Howser: Thanks! I agree on the bottom part, It should be easy enough to space things out a bit (I'll probably move the tp room and adjacent down some, that should help) And, steam add sent. PS: regarding arcs, is the range still 900 on those? That's what the guideline pdf said, but it's old enough to call them MASCs, so I'm not sure if it's been changed since.

@dragonmith: I forgot to specify, the left TP isn't a valid random start (and is also missing a res node circle, whups). For spawns, I'm currently debating between marines being bottom two + aliens top two, either team starting in either bottommost or topmost, or just total random between the right four points. Or all 5. :) And the bottom room is kinda intended as a hallway-- the TSF dropship takes up the bottom portion of it. Do you think it might be a good idea to merge it with the res node room above it so it seems more meaningful? Thanks!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    arc range is 50 meters, or 1023-1024 inches/spark editor units.
    line of site is 1792, after that distance you get some models popping in and out.
    I find it useful to have to circles in the editor, one for arc range one for LOS just as a quick reference to see what works
    Gotcha, thanks! I'm using the circle thing now.
    Ugh-- please ignore the format-hell that happened in the OP.

I've since fleshed out most of the rooms a little, and the map is more-or less functional.  I got some good feedback during the play, but if anyone wanted to mention anything else here, please do so.  Personally I'm curious what people think of the overall vent layout, whether Shaft, Loading and Warehouse are messy and hard to hold enough, and whether the Maintenance area is perhaps too linear?  

This map is mostly accurate to what we played earlier today: http://imgur.com/tPciLEU
    I love the layout. Its simple and really effective. I recommend people play this map to see how fun a simple layout can be. There's a few minor timing and spacing issues but its generally really nice.
    With regards to the vents I feel the central area connects to too much of the map. You currently have 6 vents and 4 main routes connecting there, I know its three separate rooms but it still felt like its a tad too hard to pin the aliens down. I'd say reduce it to 3:
    one from loading to pipes
    from warehall to bend
    one from shaft to main hall. 
    That should give them more access to the map without letting them snipe every rt they take a shine too. I don't think you need the one from westhall to pipes or the bend to annex.
    Back up your build and do some experimenting. I think vents are a real pain to balance so its hard to say.
    I personally think this is one of the stronger maps out there atm keep up the good work. Its an elegant, simple layout. Keep at it man.
    Alright, so I've cut down on the vents some, and fixed a couple spots with issues (notably on top of fuel room). I also agree with Howser, that vents are a pain to balance. Other than simply taking advice, trial-and-error, or "it looks right," I'm not seeing obvious general rules for effective ventilation. Ah well, at least they aren't especially difficult to move around at this point.

Relevant images: http://i.imgur.com/n9dqSxRh.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/yGSajm0h.jpg

And I forgot the workshop link earlier: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144365637
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I loved playing this map the other week. Some of the location entities need to be taller so the room names appear in commander view (some of the names show others dont) The main one I can remember is inventory I kept calling it east hall which confused many people !
    I just realized I forgot to actually update this thread last week. Whups. Anyway, here's this weeks changes in preparation for the next playtest (published on workshop, too). They mostly involve improving interesting combat and basic aesthetics in Warehouse, Loading and Inventory, although there's a few minor changes elsewhere too. Let me know what you think after we get a chance to run around them a bit.

Relevant Images: http://imgur.com/a/IQRkw

Also, thanks for all the testing and great feedback you guys have been giving me, it's been really helpful!
    This week had updates in Control Room and Annex, as well as some experimentation with the lighting in shaft. We played around with the spawns a bit (starting Marines in maintenance and aliens elsewhere), and it sounded like a team starting anywhere but Maintenance or Control Room gives that team a bit too much control over the bottom half of the map. I'll probably double check the timings this week to see what specifically seems long or short. Otherwise, i'm curious what else you all thought/think? What did you think of the Maintenance spawn idea, and would it be worth retooling the map around it?

Relevant images: http://imgur.com/a/2bcgF
    edited June 2013
    The more I think about changing maintenance into marine start the more I see that it'd have to a very significant change to the rest of the map interns of timings and flow. It would probably end up being the veil type of game play. I'm not sure about it at this point.
    The timings out of lobby and lobby itself need a little work. But maybe sticking with the original idea is a safer option. Experimentation is good, we should do some more random tests so we can really understand what works with the layout. I wonder if removing the two bottom tp's and making warehouse into a tp would work!? Might be interesting especially if marines always started at maintenance.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    From the marine perspective, i agree with what you said Random. Marines started in Maintenance and we couldn't get any control of the bottom half of the map aliens just seemed to respond faster than we could.

But last night was a small team game about 6v6 for more of it, so couldn't keep RT's up i want to try and get a few more games in this week and see how it plays.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You could not have timed that better, Oblivious; thanks! By those numbers, it looks like I might try spacing out the southwest corner of the map differently so that generator isn't so close to everything-- especially service entrance (and by association, Lobby). also possibly a small shortening along the Northwest passage (ha.) between Control and Maintenance. I'm also starting to wonder whether maybe it would be better to force Control-Lobby spawn or put more space between Generator and Phlebotinum to deal with the southern two TPs having really pretty easy access to each other. I'm currently leaning towards forcing Control-Lobby. As usual, curious what people think.

PS: Since some have wondered/commented on the name, here is the definition of Phlebotinum: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinum
    Okay, uplift update. upliftdate. updatelift. Anyway, major changes are:
    (last week) The layout of halls between Generator and Lobby in order to keep Generator and Lobby form being too close to everything.
    (last week) Loading has been restructured some, and only mostly looks like a giant rectangle now, as opposed to entirely being one.
    (this week) Lobby has been enlarged, and the TP placed in its own little section, in order to prevent sniping and embiggen the room. Still playing with the exact mechanics here.
    (this week) Parts room has been shifted around a bit. I'm still playing with this one as well.
    There's a few smaller changes around too, like a wall in generator, some marine friendlifying in Inventory, and anything else I forgot. Let me know if you guys have any ideas or thoughts, especially about parts room and lobby. Thanks!

Relevant Images: http://imgur.com/a/8ziM6
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It's really coming along, i like the new changes seems to be fitting together better now.

We played two rounds but i still feel it needs more play, but of what we played there was a alien and marine win might have been based on teams/starting points i really want to get in more game time we'll be getting some in during the week.

Really like generator, feel like storage may need a little change maybe some more room, found it had to hit early game as alien when it was held by two marines just sitting on top of the railings.

Over all really enjoying the map.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gameplay Sunday June 24th, first match

• DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gameplay Sunday June 24th, second match

Hokay, a few things:
    1) Thanks for taking all the videos Daan, they're good to watch and very useful!
    2) Updates to the map itself: Not too much this week: a fix to commander view in Control, and some tweaking in lobby and Parts room. Kinda hard to tell what worked with the green tide, but nothing seemed more broken than before. If anyone has other perspectives from today, do tell.
    3) I've started keeping track of where spawns are and who won. I should've been doing this much earlier, but oh well. The doc is here, if anyone's interested.
    4) Gorge Hunt! Gorge Hunt scores! Because why not.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited July 2013
    In the center, the thing on the ceiling south of the RT is annoying in Comm view, remove it.

Other than that this is a really nicely working map.
    I suggest removing the TP platform/glass thing in Lobby and just make it flat. It just doesn't do much for gameplay and restricts Marine base layout.
    About Warehouse (I think), the "old" version was better than the new one with the shelves IMO.
    @hozz: Yeah, I've been lazy about the thing in shaft (sometimes it has blocked cysting in an odd way, too.); I'll probably have that properly invisibled by the next build. As far as the TP thing in Lobby, that's pretty new and I'm still playing with how I want it to work. The original plan was to have it be raised and therefore a bit more defensible, but it's been defensible enough as it is in recent games, so I may play around with that some more. I'm not sure i want to make the whole thing perfectly flat, but a less dramatic rise may be in order. Or something completely different, who knows. Regarding warehouse, I doubt it'll go back to the old version, as that was just a few crates on the floor as a placeholder, but I'm curious what you think it had that the shelved version lacks? In any case, thanks for the feedback!
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited July 2013
    For my liking, the current shelved version is a bit too complicated and arbitrary. The old thing, while being a placeholder, had a more memorable layout, because it was simple. The new thing is just not so good, I guess. Sorry, hard to describe :)

About the room between Warehouse and Shaft, I think it is a bit too complicated for it's position (least used room of the map). You could just make it a fancy stairway corridor (= narrower in west-east dimensions, stair in the center, bit of stuff on the side) to shorten the route from Ware to Shaft RT (the stairs being in the center instead of the east side) and focus fights in that area (though the Lerk escape windows are great and should somehow stay). But that's just an idea.
    Upliftdate, seeing as I actually didn't have issues publishing this week like I did last. Updated sections are a little bit of texture in Shaft and Inventory, a light meddling with the Lobby TP platform thing, a vent along Lobby's hall so it isn't as much of a marine shooting gallery, and an extension of the Maintenance vent to balance the north a bit. None of this mattered too much, as aliens got shut into Phlebotinum and Control very quickly by marines. I think this was mostly team balance, but in anyone noticed any issues besides/despite that, let me know!

Relevant images: http://imgur.com/a/gVJzF
    Team balancing was an issue on every game, we have such a wide spectrum of player skills that i guess its unavoidable. In the future I'll make an effort to split the best players up... Qwicker and Mind boggled I'm looking at you!
    There's an open vent in the floor inventory. I kept falling into it as marine. Seems like an odd spot to have an open manhole. Maybe move it into the far corner against the wall or just add some lighting to make it more obvious? not a biggie either way.
    Other than that no issues here its still one of my favorites. I would say for the most part the layout is done you just need to keep polishing the rooms!
    Updatelift! Last week played around with loading a bit, by bringing a wall in closer (still feels big and awkward though), and tried adding a couple little halls between warehouse and loading in an effort to increase traffic through loading. They have been used about as much as loading ever is (almost never). I've probably bugged several of you about it already , but I'd be curious to hear more of people's ideas on how to (or if I even should) encourage more traffic through the mid.

This week was some geo changes in maintenance and fuel room, bringing them a bit more aesthetic and gameplay interest. And accidentally making Maintenance RT very snipeable. Whoops. I'll fix that this week, i hope.

Relevant images: http://imgur.com/a/2HxWd
    Got kicked by the new plugins while walking the dog during the start. Still a decent chunk of the banter and match.
    edited August 2013
    Oh god, I should have listened to it first, eating an apple quite loudly. XD oh well.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I really enjoy watching your recordings. Even if i can participate in testing i still can follow progress on the maps. Thx for it.