VisualC++ runtime fatal error since 2days

Comments

• TK8TK8 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184327Members
    I would like to add that I am experiencing the same issue. In about one of every eight map switches I am getting this notorious error.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Happening to me on map switches, though it seems to be happening more often.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I haven't had this happen on a map switch but it does seem to happen every time I'm playing on a server and attempt to switch to a different server.
  • AnataseAnatase Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68386Members
    Happens to me on map change, on the same server. But It does not happen when i move from a server to another
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Since i run NS2 "as administrator" i had not a single c++ crash
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can't see how that's related tbh.
  • p00tp00t Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11254Members
    Same problem usually occurs after my first game during a map change
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	ns2.exe
      Application Version:	0.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:	514a456e
      Fault Module Name:	Spark_Core.dll
      Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:	514a0992
      Exception Code:	40000015
      Exception Offset:	001c7237
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	ae1f
      Additional Information 2:	ae1f3b898e910f129a4ce2e71ad5af7e
      Additional Information 3:	ec40
      Additional Information 4:	ec4095dfd905b7f1d7516d6ea8b39c8c

I will try to get a dump next time
  • jvedrickjvedrick Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183891Members
    just happened to me while loading mineshaft, will make sure to get the proper info next time it occurs. (hopefully never)
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Same as most everyone. Just reporting I get this a lot. Maybe 20-25% of loads? Both when I load a server the first time, and on map change. Hope it gets fixed soon.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Starting to happen mid round now, not sure but I THINK both times it happened I was typing in the steam overlay.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    edited March 2013
    Has anybody tried verifying the integrity of the cache or updating/reinstalling their Microsoft Visual C++?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So weird that this didnt happen once to any of the 17 computers at pax that rotated maps all day, 9 hours a day for the whole weekend..
    Yet i get home and the very first server i connect to this happens.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    happens all the time to me, i have to end the process tree, and validate cash before i can even attempt to join a server.

3930k oc 4.3g
    sli 680
    windows 7

nothing ever happened before this last patch.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So weird that this didnt happen once to any of the 17 computers at pax that rotated maps all day, 9 hours a day for the whole weekend..
    Yet i get home and the very first server i connect to this happens.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2100316/#Comment_2100316
    As i described here, deleting the cache seems to have helped for me. And i guess the 17 computers at pax were freshly set up for that use and your computer at home isn't? That would be consitent with cache related errors...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    I'd give that weight, except that other users reported that it didnt fix it for them.
    Also that thread you linked to is a person who had reinstalled the OS.. which would definitely create new shaders, and they were still experiencing it. Oh and its from last year. :)
    Sort of need a fix for this soon, I'm scared to play competitive games right now :(
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd give that weight, except that other users reported that it didnt fix it for them.
    Also that thread you linked to is a person who had reinstalled the OS.. which would definitely create new shaders, and they were still experiencing it. Oh and its from last year. :)

That might be true, but i was not refering to the thread itself but only to my comment, which i was unwilling to repeat entirely.
    Also i didn't find anyone reporting that it didn't help but i'm not following all the c++ threads. Simply to many...
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    During the free weekend I didn't get a single problem, The about 2 - 3 minutes after the free weekend had finished I bought my copy. At first it was fine, but yesterday I started getting the C++ error and it has become more frequent. Its getting to the point where I'm playing for around 5 - 10 minutes and it crashes (their appears to be no cause in game for it) I have tried deleting appdata, shaders in steam folder and etc and nothing seems to be working.

I'm not getting log/dump files either which I find weird :S

System:

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Zambezi 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M68MT-S2 (Socket M2)
    Graphics
    (monitor) Acer AL1916W (1440x900@60Hz)
    (GC) AMD Radeon HD 6670 (MSI)
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    exact same problem, only started getting this error after build 243.
    edited March 2013
    Just so everyone is kept up to date:
    Max, the man who created the engine, is aware of the issue and is on the case!

Current info:
    • Currently we do not have many leads for reproduction to go on, besides map loading.
    • Log files and even verbose logging commands show no errors or issues.
    • Precaching ceases at undetermined percentages, followed by the crash.
    • It started / was reported only after 243, even though the only changes in there were shaders
    • yet the game obviously compiles shaders fine as it gets to the precaching stage.

Any further info like dump files hosting somewhere online helps. (be warned they will be huge files)
    When ns2 crashes you can press Ctrl + Shift + Esc go to c:\windows\syswow64\taskmgr.exe to bring up the 32 bit task manager. Then go to the process tab and right click NS2.exe and then click Create dump file.

Thank you for your patience and assistance!
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ty i will try this when it happens again
    edited March 2013
    Uploading a dump now (compressed 360mb, extracted 1.2gb -.-), note, I made the dump AFTER pressing ok to the VC++ error box, not sure if that means it will have moved on from the crash section and therefore the dump won't have it or..?

EDIT: Here's the link, http://www.mediafire.com/?8covt402mjhea3a
    edited March 2013
    ensure its a 32 bit dump file please, we cant use 64 bit versions
    updated the post above to reflect this.
    c:\windows\syswow64\taskmgr.exe
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    unfortunately i'm unable to do this, any time NS2 crashes my pc wont load anything at all until i close NS2 down.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    [*]It started / was reported only after 243, even though the only changes in there were shaders
    [*]yet the game obviously compiles shaders fine as it gets to the precaching stage.[/list]
    Strange thing is, that version 242's patch-notes already mention a change to C++:

Disabled unnecessary C++ features

Now suppose this change had no negative effect on the game untill 243 came....like a sleeping bug.
    Maybe version 243 woke it up?
    Uwe, enable those C++ features again - even if they seem unnecessary at first - so you can do some more research on it, before it's being put into a patch again.
    I had this bug allot on map-change, but NOT when the same map was reloaded, to replay it.
    To late for a dump-file, but I do remember some C++ thing running together with NS2...it closed itself, after I closed NS2 through the taskmanager.

• TomD22TomD22 Join Date: 2010-12-28 Member: 75995Members
    Some further tidbits: a couple of crashes this evening happened almost immediately upon server map change or trying to connect to a server - so not reaching the stage of seeing a pre-caching progress %

Also, at least for me, this type of crash has been like buses. None for ages and then a whole bunch come along at once. For example, I played on one particular server this evening for quite a long time (few hours) with no problems. Then crashed on map changes and trying to reconnect to it 3 times in half an hour.
    @paajtor : yea thats what is being assumed. Better to isolate the culprit though so it never awake again.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    I get this, but only on a mapchange to ns2_summit. I'll copy/paste the log next time it happens.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    edited March 2013
    I'd like to gather some data from the people having this issue.

- When are your instances of runtime errors occuring? (If during a map change, which map?)
    - What graphics card are you using?
    - What drivers are you currently running on for your graphics card?
    - What resolution are you running at (both your desktop and in-game)? (Include if you are running in HD)
    - What version of Direct X are you running?
    - What window mode are you running NS2 on?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    1. During map change and server connect. Happens on modded and unmodded servers. And on listen servers.
    2. GTX670
    3. 314.22
    4. 1920x1080
    5. DirectX 11
    6. Windowed no border

dxdiag

Uploading a crash dump from connecting to a server now. It's 700mb.