Pistol Script - Another discussion

CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Please for all that is holy in this game, make the Pistol automatic and give it a .16 fire rate or the like. This will still be fast enough to kill a Slulk in under a second and it matches an average mouse click speed. This will stop the insta-killing from the Pistol script that doesn't add anything good to the game.

To add something more to the thread, anyone disagrees with what I said or has something else to say?

Comments

• pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    TF2 had its own "pistol script-era", everyone agreed that it was lame and eventually valve made the pistol automatic just like you've described

the same should happen in this game, imo, losing engages because of that script is dumb, there's a huge difference between people who can shot really fast and people who are blatantly using a script.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    So your saying you don’t have enough skill to do it yourself so you need a script to do it for you? That’s kind of like saying “I can’t aim well so can I use an aimbot to do it for me?”
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i disagree with it becoming automatic, but it should at least have a 'counterstrike-esque' limited ROF (high-end so you're still rewarded for quick fingers) to prevent script pseudo-exploits.

basically what madd0g said :p
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Since it's literally impossible to prevent scripting or other workarounds the TF2 approach is the only sensible one, but this is a weird issue that a lot of people feel strongly about for some reason, as if being able to click fast is an amazing skill that should be rewarded.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    +1 for giving it a rate of fire.

End this script / macro nonsense.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I think a cooldown is nicer than full auto.
    I dont liek the idea of a full auto 10 round pistol with ridiculous fire rate because a) it dows not feel like a pistol and b) it increses required skill even more because noobs will empty their clip in less than 1 sec without hitting anything...
    edited March 2013
    Since it's literally impossible to prevent scripting or other workarounds the TF2 approach is the only sensible one, but this is a weird issue that a lot of people feel strongly about for some reason, as if being able to click fast is an amazing skill that should be rewarded.

tf2 has auto-reload, random critical hits, random damage spread and damage fall off. not to mention the self-moderated network rates, which precipitates into issues with extremely inconsistent interp/hit reg. it's an entirely different game with emphasis on different classes instead of ns2's emphasis on different weapons/lifeforms.

assault rifle is automatic. wtf is the point in automatic pistol if it were to effectively become just an extension to your assault rifle clip?

it's not only how fast you can click your finger, but how you can track your mouse while clicking. it's an entirely different technique to holding down the mouse button and tracking (typical assault rifle). there are different shooting techniques; several old school FPS pro gamers would bind the 'fire' command to the keyboard to gain a slight edge... between AR, shotgun and pistol - we have the main techniques covered.
  • BronyBrony Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173165Members
    Since it's literally impossible to prevent scripting or other workarounds ...

Not really, fire rates exists in pretty much any FPS. Including NS2, else we would see the same scripts making the shotgun fire like an automatic! But we don't, since it has a max fire rate.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    tarquinbb wrote: »

tf2 has auto-reload, random critical hits, random damage spread and damage fall off. not to mention the self-moderated network rates, which precipitates into issues with extremely inconsistent interp/hit reg. it's an entirely different game with emphasis on different classes instead of ns2's emphasis on different weapons/lifeforms.

assault rifle is automatic. wtf is the point in automatic pistol if it were to effectively become just an extension to your assault rifle clip?

it's not only how fast you can click your finger, but how you can track your mouse while clicking. it's an entirely different technique to holding down the mouse button and tracking (typical assault rifle). there are different shooting techniques; several old school FPS pro gamers would bind the 'fire' command to the keyboard to gain a slight edge... between AR, shotgun and pistol - we have the main ones covered.

I agree, but the point is almost no one else considers clicking fast to be a skill check, not even PC hardware companies who are happy to sell mice with built in functionality to negate any such attempts. Because so many players will be casually cheating it's a bad idea to put that into a competitive, non-local multiplayer game. It's like building a game relying on players not changing their gamma, manipulating their network connection quality or turning up the volume and use headphones to gain an edge. It doesn't work.

Brony wrote: »

Not really, fire rates exists in pretty much any FPS. Including NS2, else we would see the same scripts making the shotgun fire like an automatic! But we don't, since it has a max fire rate.
    You misunderstood everything said completely. The TF2 pistol has a max fire rate, making it work just like a slower rifle. That's reason being just what he said, it's not possible to prevent scripting or macros, hence the max fire rate.
    edited March 2013
    lwf wrote: »
    tarquinbb wrote: »

it's not only how fast you can click your finger, but how you can track your mouse while clicking. it's an entirely different technique to holding down the mouse button and tracking (typical assault rifle). there are different shooting techniques; several old school FPS pro gamers would bind the 'fire' command to the keyboard to gain a slight edge... between AR, shotgun and pistol - we have the main ones covered.

I agree, but the point is almost no one else considers clicking fast to be a skill check, not even PC hardware companies who are happy to sell mice with built in functionality to negate any such attempts. Because so many players will be casually cheating it's a bad idea to put that into a competitive, non-local multiplayer game. It's like building a game relying on players not changing their gamma, manipulating their network connection quality or turning up the volume and use headphones to gain an edge. It doesn't work.

You misunderstood everything said completely. The TF2 pistol has a max fire rate, making it work just like a slower rifle. That's reason being just what he said, it's not possible to prevent scripting or macros, hence the max fire rate.

well if the ROF was capped at a high level that is realistically achievable with practiced/agile fingers then i don't think any more action would be needed.

if someone has arthritic fingers and needs a 'rapid fire' mouse, so be it. as for healthy persons, i think it's punishment enough to live in the shame of needing an external functionality to click at the required pace. :)

i'm sure of two things:

1) scripts enabling you to have almost infinite ROF are silly.
    2) automatic pistol is in principle the same as assault rifle - eliminating the 'repeatedly click while tracking' technique and thus making marine combat more shallow.

in essence: it needs a limit, but not such a limit which turns the pistol into a shotgun.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Some people arent able to click very fast and aim. So it is a kind of skill. To avoiding that with a script is cheating in my eyes.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    lwf wrote: »

...he said the TF2 pistol went through the same era and valve decided to up the max fire rate so non script users could go auto anyway, eliminating the advantage of using a script, I presume, never played TFC or TF2. It is possible to prevent scripting, just like he said, by having a max fire rate, the pistol and shotgun are both one click = one shot but the shotgun has a pump animation/fire rate on it stopping people from scripting 3 SG rounds in a second...just like they could do with pistol...obviously not as long.

I remember NS 1 put in some code I believe that only accepted 3 input commands at any one time, at least I remember all the pistol/bhop script macros only have 3 waits in them, most people just used mousewheel anyway.

Also some people were asking for dual bind so people could legitimately re bind a keyboard key and still track with mouse while smashing another key to fire as well, I'd assume they use autoit or autohotkey to do the same thing now and probably just put it on a mouse key/click.

My 2c is I hope they don't make it automatic and just put a fire rate in, I don't think anything will happen since this is something the community can police in 90% of cases and will just suck up dev time.

edit: quote box.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members

The NS2 shotgun IS an automatic. Hold down the mouse button and see what I mean. As for the pistol, I would prefer CS-style ROF limitation to address the pistol script issue.
    Mr.Greedy wrote: »
    Some people arent able to click very fast and aim. So it is a kind of skill. To avoiding that with a script is cheating in my eyes.

i believe MW2 was patched to prevent fire mousewheel binds - a large number of players were binding fire to mousewheel and using it to unload an entire 'semi auto' high powered rifle/pistol clip in a totally unfeasible time.

imo the feasibility is key here.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It appears the current 0.1s rate isn't working correctly. That should be fixed and 0.1 is a good RoF imho...
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Pistol should be automatic when the button is held down. There are plenty of legal/gray areas where you can fire the pistol at max rate and not technically be scripting - they're all just arbitrary and annoying (ie: mouse wheel to fire, binding 2 keyboard keys to fire, whatever).
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Instead of automatic, I'd like to see the pistol reverted into the old secondary fire mode.

Current pistol is supposed to be 25 light damage (1/4 dmg to armor) and 0.1s fire rate. The old secondary fire was 40 normal damage (1/2 to armor) and 0.4s (?) fire rate. I feel like this is a much better solution because an automatic pistol is going to feel like a 10-round LMG. A 0.4s fire rate with a damage buff makes the pistol feel less spray-and-pray and more about consistently hitting shots.

This will also severely mitigate the benefits from using a pistol script.
    while we're on the subject of pistol, is it too much to ask to request an improved shooting animation?

most animations are pretty cool, but the pistol one really makes the marine look like a tool :D
    GORGEous wrote: »
    Instead of automatic, I'd like to see the pistol reverted into the old secondary fire mode.

Current pistol is supposed to be 25 light damage (1/4 dmg to armor) and 0.1s fire rate. The old secondary fire was 40 normal damage (1/2 to armor) and 0.4s (?) fire rate. I feel like this is a much better solution because an automatic pistol is going to feel like a 10-round LMG. A 0.4s fire rate with a damage buff makes the pistol feel less spray-and-pray and more about consistently hitting shots.

Honestly, that'd probably make the pistol really OP. Tracking aim is always going to have a level of inaccuracy that twitch single shot aim doesn't have. Methods of rapid firing the pistol right now still come with the downside of missing massive portions of your clip for even a momentary lapse of accuracy. The pistol you're describing would really need to be closer to a 0.7s fire rate with a clip of 4 to be anywhere near balanced.

I mean for reference, that pistol would 3 shot skulks at W0 (pre-carapace). That amount of damage combined with the current clip size would be a pretty drastic upgrade in effective marine killing power.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The rate of fire isn't important - there will still be scripts to make it full auto, and that will always be an unfair advantage. There's simply no way to prevent this, it's easier to aim when you're not repeatedly pressing the mouse button.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The 'pistol script' debate is as old as NS is itself. Frankly I think people were debating it when NS1 was still in beta. What they ended up doing was putting a 0.2 ROF cap on it IIRC. Now when they put the cap on it, I don't recall.

Honestly, that'd probably make the pistol really OP. Tracking aim is always going to have a level of inaccuracy that twitch single shot aim doesn't have. Methods of rapid firing the pistol right now still come with the downside of missing massive portions of your clip for even a momentary lapse of accuracy. The pistol you're describing would really need to be closer to a 0.7s fire rate with a clip of 4 to be anywhere near balanced.

I mean for reference, that pistol would 3 shot skulks at W0 (pre-carapace). That amount of damage combined with the current clip size would be a pretty drastic upgrade in effective marine killing power.

It would 3 shot a non-cara skulk, but so what? That's 0.8s, minimum, of fire time assuming 100% accuracy. The old pistol kills a skulk in 5 shots, or 0.4s of fire. Assuming 100% of accuracy, an LMG kills a skulk in 9-10 bullets, which takes ~0.5s. Assuming 100% accuracy, a shotgun kills a skulk in 0.0 seconds.

If you do TTK math while assuming 100% accuracy, you're always going to get silly results. The current pistol is actually far more powerful in terms of damage throughput as the version I suggested.

(mag sizes may have to be adjusted down to 6 or 8 or something.. I haven't given it much thought)
    Zek wrote: »
    The rate of fire isn't important - there will still be scripts to make it full auto, and that will always be an unfair advantage. There's simply no way to prevent this, it's easier to aim when you're not repeatedly pressing the mouse button.

The rate of fire is important as evidenced by the fact that nobody complains about a scripted shotgun. Why? Because the refire is slow enough that a script doesn't help at all. Slowing the fire rate will destroy much of the unfair benefit gained from using a pistol script.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would favour a 0.1 or 0.15s cap on the ROF but not full auto. Full auto would just make the pistol another lmg clip essentially, and that's less interesting than the one-click-one-bullet pistol we have now and had in NS1. But negating the benefits of scripts by a real, functioning ROF cap is a priority.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Do pistol scripts apply in NS2? I don't use one, because I think I'm around the rof as is. Doesn't seem hard, plus I like to place my shots.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I would favour a 0.1 or 0.15s cap on the ROF but not full auto. Full auto would just make the pistol another lmg clip essentially, and that's less interesting than the one-click-one-bullet pistol we have now and had in NS1. But negating the benefits of scripts by a real, functioning ROF cap is a priority.

The thing with that is that the issue still remains. Even if the cooldown is .1 seconds, the best thing to do as a power gamer is make a script since it will increase the speed that you fire compared to a normal player by 33% or more. No one will be able to click every .1 second without being early or late unless a script is used.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »

The thing with that is that the issue still remains. Even if the cooldown is .1 seconds, the best thing to do as a power gamer is make a script since it will increase the speed that you fire compared to a normal player by 33% or more. No one will be able to click every .1 second without being early or late unless a script is used.

I'm not au fait with the numbers and whereabouts I would fit in here, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who could suggest a suitable ROF (be it 0.1, 0.15, 0.2s...). The principle remains the same. There will still be some people who use a script, but with an active ROF in place that's not too far off what most people can achieve, they gain very little from it.
    The main problem as it stands (if the ROF is very very low, I don't know what it currently is and I have no interest in such scripts/mwheel binds etc), is that someone can in principle unload 10 shots in a tiny amount of time, combine that with ping differences and you have a real problem.

I say that but I've not experienced this problem myself, I only see complaints here about it...
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    You can 2 finger mouse one and fire the pistol just as fast as any script out there.. and edakulous can do it with one finger.

It would 3 shot a non-cara skulk, but so what? That's 0.8s, minimum, of fire time assuming 100% accuracy. The old pistol kills a skulk in 5 shots, or 0.4s of fire. Assuming 100% of accuracy, an LMG kills a skulk in 9-10 bullets, which takes ~0.5s. Assuming 100% accuracy, a shotgun kills a skulk in 0.0 seconds.

If you do TTK math while assuming 100% accuracy, you're always going to get silly results. The current pistol is actually far more powerful in terms of damage throughput as the version I suggested.

(mag sizes may have to be adjusted down to 6 or 8 or something.. I haven't given it much thought)

The current version isn't more powerful than what you suggested for actual play though. Biggest reason is that 40 normal x 10 is packing a crapload more killing power before a reload than 25 light x 10. Making 3 slower timed shots is a definitively easier task than tracking 5 shots. More than that, unless you have 100% perfect aim, you're usually only going to kill one skulk per reload with the current pistol. Your proposed pistol would make situations of killing 2 skulks per 1 pistol reload far, far more common.

I'm not opposed at all to making the pistol fire less and hit harder. It's just the numbers you proposed were off somewhat imo. A 0.7s delay with a 6 shot 40 normal pistol is probably about right though.