How Unknownworlds Could Generate More Res (IRL)

trentluvtrentluv Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73126Members
It's great that you aren't charging for these updates. That being said, I bet if you guys paired "DLC" equivalent updates like Gorgeous with an optional donation page, you'd get a lot more res from players like me.

You could then use the res for more upgrades.

Comments

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    I donate 2 extractors, 20 pres and an exosuit.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    If you want to donate, you could just buy another copy of the game and gift it to a friend. ;)
    No, haven't you heard? Post release DLC is the ONLY way to make money.
  • trentluvtrentluv Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73126Members
    A donation page would allow players to submit any dollar amount. Plus, if you pair it with updates, it would encourage dedicated players to do something that makes them feel good while supporting something they love at a time they would reasonably be the most generous.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Skulks would be biting half of them.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd jam my extractor in your node and pump you full of res.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited February 2013
    Bring out cosmetic options that cosmetically fit the NS2 universe, I will part with money happily.
    Fuzzy dice hanging inside your exo?
    Polished 'new' armor, extra worn armor? He'll yes!

Dynamic armor that starts fresh at the beginning of a life, and scuffs with damage? Take my money!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Bring out cosmetic options that cosmetically fit the NS2 universe, I will part with money happily.

The business case for cosmetic DLC in NS2 is weak. The cost of implementation would be very high and might not yield a return at all. The 'fun case' is much stronger - It would be awesome if people could customise their armour and exo's as the desired!
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Isn't that what the workshop can do? least when a serve allows.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I have enough hours in NS2, that I feel UWE deserves more than the 40 I paid years ago.
    Give me an excuse! (an in game excuse; not music, art, or physical products as they are not up my alley, and would prob have a lower profit margin for UWE)
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    Isn't that what the workshop can do? least when a serve allows.

The point about bling bling in games is to have other players see it too (which would not apply to the fuzzy dice in an Exo, but you get the idea). A workshop mod will only make the stuff visible on your client, everyone else will still see the default stuff (unless some server mod maybe forces the download and use of that stuff on everyone - but forced cosmetic downloads did at least cause most players in UT2k4 to rather disconnect from the server before sitting through the eternal download and are generally frowned upon).

With an official implementation, you know that everyone will see your bling and that it will work on every server, even vanilla official ones. Why else would so many people buy hats in TF2 that they can't even see most of the time?
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The business case for cosmetic DLC in NS2 is weak. The cost of implementation would be very high and might not yield a return at all. The 'fun case' is much stronger - It would be awesome if people could customise their armour and exo's as the desired!

Some low cost to implement res sources might be:
    -Donate site (as suggested above)
    -Play with the Devs/Comp Players special events (better for short term goals than a long term revenue source)
    -Interface Cosmetics (kind of like prestige in *shudders* CoD, where you can get an icon next to your Handle to show you supported the company (could even expand this to other causes like a Cancer Research badge or something community driven))
    -In game ads on server browser (would probably receive blowback from the community)
    -invent Nanites, they solve everything
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The business case for cosmetic DLC in NS2 is weak. The cost of implementation would be very high and might not yield a return at all.
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. They said the same in TF2, and look at them now.

We've had *many* threads from people begging to buy some of the other armors because they bought one version and wanted the others - yet there is no 'package upgrade' on Steam.

I would think cosmetic purchasable upgrades would make the most sense strictly because you don't fracture your player base. (Like they did when they released L4D2 less than a year after L4D1) Clearly a game/map DLC would cause that problem. If you had other marine skins, or alien skins, or weapon skins, available for purchase at a cheap price, you could easily appeal to player vanity.

Once you saturate the player base with copies of the game, all the free DLC in the world won't sell more copies. I think you owe it to yourself to at least internally explore the option of paid cosmetic upgrades. Keep it simple. Make up a marine skin pack, an alien skin pack, and a weapon skin pack. Sell each pack separately and have a special 'combo' price for the three of them. This would keep the integration on steam simple, since you wouldn't need to deal with a pile of individual pieces.

Something to think about anyway...
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea, I really think UWE would be able to make quite a bit of extra money from simple cosmetics.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    The 'fun case' is much stronger - It would be awesome if people could customise their armour and exo's as the desired!

What do you mean by fun case? You can sort of it do it now through steam workshop even though it is client only. Or do you mean how tf2 accepts community created content to sell while they get a cut? In addition to UWE making their own stuff along with community stuff. I would not mind as long as quality control is there to ensure we have no rainbow exos or vibrant pink armor put out that we are forced to look at in game.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sorry, I should clarify why it's tough to make the business case for the cosmetics. It's not the creation of the content that would be the problem. It's the back end. Suddenly, NS2 has to have user account logins, we have to have a payment system, we have to overall our animation and model handling, we have to authenticate content against user accounts, etc etc it all adds up and would cost lots of moolah.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Savant wrote: »
    The business case for cosmetic DLC in NS2 is weak. The cost of implementation would be very high and might not yield a return at all.
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. They said the same in TF2, and look at them now.

We've had *many* threads from people begging to buy some of the other armors because they bought one version and wanted the others - yet there is no 'package upgrade' on Steam.

I would think cosmetic purchasable upgrades would make the most sense strictly because you don't fracture your player base. (Like they did when they released L4D2 less than a year after L4D1) Clearly a game/map DLC would cause that problem. If you had other marine skins, or alien skins, or weapon skins, available for purchase at a cheap price, you could easily appeal to player vanity.

Once you saturate the player base with copies of the game, all the free DLC in the world won't sell more copies. I think you owe it to yourself to at least internally explore the option of paid cosmetic upgrades. Keep it simple. Make up a marine skin pack, an alien skin pack, and a weapon skin pack. Sell each pack separately and have a special 'combo' price for the three of them. This would keep the integration on steam simple, since you wouldn't need to deal with a pile of individual pieces.

Something to think about anyway...

I don't think he is dismissing it so much as saying it is not economically viable because of the technological changes that need to be made. Valve has a much larger scale, I am not sure how hat coding is handled but the models would have to be downloaded or streamed to each player on the server and we have long enough loading screens and crummy enough server performance as is. Not to mention the transaction servers that would need to be introduced to allow for the purchase of these items. And security around credit card transactions and the like/ It would have to be handled in game probably. I saw a video of Gabe Newell talking about some of the complexities of the economy around hats and it is much more complex than it seems at first glance.

However I think some of the building blocks are in the code already, as there are deluxe player models for pre-orders. Could be handled the same way they pushed that out in the short term, but that is pretty limited as far as interface too since it is just a select deluxe or normal, no visual preview of what your character model will look like is a bit disappointing.

That said long term I think cosmetic paid upgrades is a good idea, especially since it sounds like Valve might be working on a transaction engine of sorts that they might be able to license and incorporate into their game long term anyway.
    Nice work bringing up Gabe's talk, @Geekavenger. What he talks about is exactly how we would want to handle cosmetics in the long term, with community members earning money for creating content. We create the economy, and you guys do what you want with it.
    However I think some of the building blocks are in the code already, as there are deluxe player models for pre-orders. Could be handled the same way they pushed that out in the short term,

Unfortunately, this is not true. The way the game handles Deluxe / Black armour is not suitable for wider use. It's not hacky, but is specifically tailored for use with a very limited models. From the way the game loads them, to how they are authenticated, to how they are bought, it's a system that would have to be completely replaced. Many many programming hours... $$$ Hahaha!

Anyone got any res collection ideas outside cosmetic stuff?
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Suddenly, NS2 has to have user account logins, we have to have a payment system, we have to overall our animation and model handling, we have to authenticate content against user accounts, etc etc it all adds up and would cost lots of moolah.
    I was looking at it from the perspective of how people have the black armor. They purchased a copy of the game, and it came with models that aren't available in other copies of the game. Right? So why can't you have a DLC purchased through steam that adds skins to the game in the same way as you do now with the Black Armor? I obviously don't know how your game integrates with steam, but if you were able to work this out with black armor, why not with other skins?

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I have enough hours in NS2, that I feel UWE deserves more than the 40 I paid years ago.
    Give me an excuse! (an in game excuse; not music, art, or physical products as they are not up my alley, and would prob have a lower profit margin for UWE)

Need an excuse? Here you go.

Gets money to UWE and players into the game. Win-win-win-win.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    This thread made me want two things... a donate button to send the money I don't have to UWE, and a Steampunk Gorge.

A Gorge with goggles, a top hat, and two steam powered rockets on its back that cause it to accelerate at blinding speeds on belly slides while leaving a mildly painful steam trail that blocks vision.

Best support unit ever. EVER.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Best thing to do is buy the game for your friends. More players, and more money for devs.

UWE's current strategy mirrors that of Killing Floor, minus the skins. If you remember correctly, Killing Floor was basically a nothing game with poor reviews, and Tripwire kept putting the game on sale along with free content updates. Fast forward a few years later and now Killing Floor has sold over a million copies.

Here's hoping this method also works with NS2!
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Anyone got any res collection ideas outside cosmetic stuff?

I had one here. Okay, it's still cosmetic, but you wouldn't need to implement all the back-end stuff because it would be personalized, i.e. no authentication etc required.

Anyway...

For reals - and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I really DON'T like the idea of NS2 selling hats - but if implementing a hat system in NS2 will be a lot of work, perhaps a substantial chunk of it could be outsourced to, or rather rented from, Valve? They're pretty big into making their core gaming functionality available as a plug-and-play service for everyone else's games, so maybe they'd like to monetize their ability to monetize hats, too.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    couldnt this be a matter of putting some sort of buyable pack on the steam shop? Let steam handle most of the hussle?
    heh, probably that it doesnt matter at the backend hmm?

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    And if you don't have any more friends to buy it for, put it up on SteamGifts.com
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited February 2013

They already can through the Steam workshop! That's the beauty of NS2!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Disappointed that no one suggested the most obvious answer; gorge plushies and other NS2-related swag (t-shirts, posters, etc).
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe you could make something like a "Indie Game: The Movie" sequel, featuring all the drama that's soon to follow the Gorgeous update?
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Sorry, I should clarify why it's tough to make the business case for the cosmetics. It's not the creation of the content that would be the problem. It's the back end. Suddenly, NS2 has to have user account logins, we have to have a payment system, we have to overall our animation and model handling, we have to authenticate content against user accounts, etc etc it all adds up and would cost lots of moolah.
    It's sad that nothing like Steam exists :P