What you can expect from the Gorgeous Patch

OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
For those of you who don't check the NS2 Facebook page enough or watch NS2HD enough, here is a quick highlights preview of what to expect from the upcoming Gorgeoues Patch that is set to come out within the next couple weeks.
Here are some highlights according to an article I found.

Gorge Tunnels -
"You need to put two holes down and once set, any ally and enemy units, even the Onos and mechs, can go through the tunnel at will. Fights can happen in the animated tunnels, and the tunnel will always be the same size in length no matter how far apart you place the entrances."

Gorge Babblers -
"After Babblers are spawned by the Gorge, players can order them around similarly to the Antlions from Half-Life 2. You can have up to nine of the little guys around at a time, and they can either attack players and structures, or you can place them on other aliens as an extra layer of shielding."

Rail Gun -
"You can simply shoot off small bolts, and holding the trigger for a charge will obliterate smaller enemies. Like, literally. Unknown Worlds has added a new disintegration effect and you'll see enemies like the Gorge just explode like a watermelon getting hit with a hammer"

NS2_Descent -
"The last major update for the game is the big new map set in space, Descent. It's the first new map, of the official maps at least, that isn't set on the same planet as the others. This means that players will now get a map that features new art assets, and lots of other unique new features they haven't seen before."

Other -
"Other features players can expect are SDK improvements, custom tools will be easier to use, changes to existing maps for better balancing, better lighting, and a better modeler. There's also a better spectator mode in place now that's been made friendlier and more meaningful to use for eSports casters."

Other things that were noticeable from NS2HD's video preview:
bullet hole and blood decals
Will edit to add others that people have noticed.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-first-dlc-for-natural-selection-ii-is-gorgeous-245927.phtml

Comments

• OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    edited February 2013
    edit: video removed because it doesn't accurately represent the final product to the extent that its not worth watching.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Eh.. that video is horrible/ugly and not remotely representative of the final product. You really should remove that one. :-/
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Yeah I notice that video is quite ugly too, but it gives a general idea of what it might be, I want to keep the video up but as IronHorse says, that video doesn't represent the final product. Its just a preview, giving a general idea of how the rail gun will look or feel or perform.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    But it doesn't represent any of those is my point, its just false advertising. The looks are different, the configuration is different, it's performance is different. etc etc etc.
    Plus.. it spoils it for many imo.
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It is also possible there will be changes to Cloaking:
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128163/gorgeous-new-cloaking-mechanics-and-effects/p1

Also I have heard about new commander selection features, although I don't have any source on that one.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    how many gorge tunnels can we have in a map?

a set for each gorge?, one set in total?, unlimited pairs of tunnels?

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    what can i expect, more alien wins
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    first person spectate?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    Gorge Tunnels -
    "You need to put two holes down and once set, any ally and enemy units, even the Onos and mechs, can go through the tunnel at will. Fights can happen in the animated tunnels, and the tunnel will always be the same size in length no matter how far apart you place the entrances."
    Or according to Destructoid, alien buttholes.

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Can someone explain to me why aliens need phase gates gorge tunnels? What happened to asymmetry? More importantly, what happened to aliens being the faster team *because* they didn't have any 'teleportation' abilities?

While it looks nice, I just don't understand the justification for giving aliens a means to move around the map even FASTER than they can now. Seriously, does anyone want to take a shot at justifying the change? Why did the faster team in an asymmetric game need to get 'alien phase gates' so they can move around even faster?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Worked fine.

Citation required

edited February 2013
    Albeit all balance changes thus far have been made around aliens not having this, it was needed in some instances like larger maps (that we can now have again) that made contesting the loss of a hive across that large map difficult.
    and it's still asymmetrical given that an exo can travel through it, unlike an onos through a pg! Which also can be an indirect buff to exos if you think about it ...

But I get the overall concern about the mobile team being more mobile. Guess things will have to be adjusted to balance around it instead of without it.

@ohnojojo : thanks :)
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Zek wrote: »
    Aliens were fast in NS1 and also had actual phase gate functionality built into their hives. Worked fine.
    To move between hives. I see no restriction on the placement of these tunnels, which mean they can be used offensively and not defensively as that mechanic in NS1 was used. Furthermore, you know very well the main reason for that mechanic in NS1 was because the maps were much larger and skulks were slower. (Anyone who hasn't played NS1 - try creating your own server just to try a skulk. You'll think you're running in slow motion compared to how it is now.) In NS1 it took 30 seconds to move between hives. In NS2 it's half that.

My point still stands. Why do aliens need 'phase gates' that can be used offensively when by nature they have an advantage with speed?

Thats a good point. But to be used offensively it has to be put in a risky forward position where it can be destroyed, or worse, used by the marine team to quickly siege to the other side. 0.0

Its a game modifier thats for sure.. but its not simply a direct buff to aliens. I really like that it can be used offensively or defensively for reasons i just provided.
    But you have a point with map size (As i pointed out) and hopefully this change will allow for that to once again occur.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Savant wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why aliens need phase gates gorge tunnels? What happened to asymmetry? More importantly, what happened to aliens being the faster team *because* they didn't have any 'teleportation' abilities?

While it looks nice, I just don't understand the justification for giving aliens a means to move around the map even FASTER than they can now. Seriously, does anyone want to take a shot at justifying the change? Why did the faster team in an asymmetric game need to get 'alien phase gates' so they can move around even faster?

So you won't be forced to shift first every match?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Thats a good point. But to be used offensively it has to be put in a risky forward position where it can be destroyed, or worse, used by the marine team to quickly siege to the other side. 0.0
    Com'on IH, we both know that if the aliens put down a tunnel, they're gonna be using it. So running into it would be like running through a phase gate under attack - you go into the grinder.

Is this at least something that can only be placed on infestation? Please tell me they can't place these anywhere.
    Its a game modifier thats for sure.. but its not simply a direct buff to aliens. I really like that it can be used offensively or defensively for reasons i just provided.
    But *why* do the aliens need this offensive tool, when they have superior speed on smaller maps?

I'm open minded. I'd love to buy into this. But it just doesn't make logical sense to give the team with superior mobility, further improved mobility. Furthermore, the slow Onos can now zip across the map - as can gorges - without any risk, and faster than ever before.

So again, I just want to hear justification. What is this supposed to accomplish? Why water down game asymmetry? Why give fast aliens on small maps a means to move around even faster?

Convince me, because for the life of me I can't think of a single reason why this is needed.
  • evil fluffyevil fluffy Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162627Members
    edited February 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Com'on IH, we both know that if the aliens put down a tunnel, they're gonna be using it. So running into it would be like running through a phase gate under attack - you go into the grinder.

Is this at least something that can only be placed on infestation? Please tell me they can't place these anywhere.
    But *why* do the aliens need this offensive tool, when they have superior speed on smaller maps?

I'm open minded. I'd love to buy into this. But it just doesn't make logical sense to give the team with superior mobility, further improved mobility. Furthermore, the slow Onos can now zip across the map - as can gorges - without any risk, and faster than ever before.

So again, I just want to hear justification. What is this supposed to accomplish? Why water down game asymmetry? Why give fast aliens on small maps a means to move around even faster?

Convince me, because for the life of me I can't think of a single reason why this is needed.

From what I read and heard from devs it is supposed to be only place on infestation which leads me to think that it may die if no infestation on one end. Plus is it still true that bile bombing the tunnel bile bombs all marines inside?

Because its a cool feature I guess.

Currently, there is no reason that something must be added. The game can be balanced simply using the tools that are currently available to each team, with a few coefficient tweaks. Marines don't need a rail gun, and aliens don't need babblers. Content patches are just about adding new stuff that keeps the game interesting. Balance can be applied to the game in any state it is in. Even if the aliens had 20 different life forms to choose from instead of 5, the game could still be balanced.

|strofix| wrote: »
    Because its a cool feature I guess.
    Hey, I'm all for fun and/or 'cool' features. I'm sure people would find it cool if a lerk could carry around an Onos, should we add it? ;)

Like I said, it's not that I'm against it; it's just that it seems entirely counter-intuitive based on the asymmetric nature of the two teams.

Or to put it simply, it doesn't make a lick of sense.
    Like I said, it's not that I'm against it; it's just that it seems entirely counter-intuitive based on the asymmetric nature of the two teams.

Or to put it simply, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

I dislike the idea of the distance being fixed. That does mimic the phase gate a little too much.

I think that, given the speed boosts of things like celerity, leap, blink, lerk flight, etc. , a straight line path to their destination would have been sufficiently advantageous as well as keeping with the asymmetric nature of the game.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fan favorite upgrades Hypermutation and Feint Death!

.. hooray

Will commanders be able to see the overhead of these tunnels? How would that work, a separate map that needs to be toggled to maybe? Or perhaps only the alien commander can visibly see the tunnel and place structures. Or not.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dp2ttRrYEKwqU_O0XPQ45HOR718c1us3rqmjYj9KduU-noscale.jpg

What is this under the left skulk? A new building? hemorrhoids? Just part of the tunnel?
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members

Phase Gates are instantaneous. These are not. You physically need to walk down the connecting tunnel.
    You can have more than 2 connected Phase Gates. You are limited to two entrances/exits per Gorge Tunnel.
    Only Marines can use Phase Gates. Both Marines and Aliens can use Gorge Tunnels.
    Exos cannot use Phase Gates. They can use Gorge Tunnels
    Combat can happen in the tunnels. A good Marine could camp their end and stop it being used.

Oh yeah I see what you mean... it's really not asymmetrical at all, is it?

ffs...
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Dp2ttRrYEKwqU_O0XPQ45HOR718c1us3rqmjYj9KduU-noscale.jpg

What is this under the left skulk? A new building? hemorrhoids? Just part of the tunnel?

I was thinking babbler spawner
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah and the aliens are controlled in first person like the marines. Man, both teams are totally the same. :D
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members

This doesn't make sense. How are aliens are able to move quicker *because* they aren't able to teleport instantly between locations? I can understand the logic that they'd be quicker DESPITE beacon/phase gates (though I don't necessarily agree with even this), but not 'because' they don't have them - that's just absurd.

Phase gates give marines a huge mobility advantage than they would without it. If aliens had them too they would be even faster, not slower...
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    d0ped0g wrote: »

This doesn't make sense. How are aliens are able to move quicker *because* they aren't able to teleport instantly between locations? I can understand the logic that they'd be quicker DESPITE beacon/phase gates (though I don't necessarily agree with even this), but not 'because' they don't have them - that's just absurd.

Phase gates give marines a huge mobility advantage than they would without it. If aliens had them too they would be even faster, not slower...

I think you are misreading what Savant wrote. "The aliens are [designed to be] quicker because they [lack] teleportation technology." is probably a lot closer to what he meant.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is something that will benefit public games, as well as competitive. Competitive games will hopefully see some interesting tactics, not sure if it will get used. But at least in publics it allows the aliens to maintain two hives without too much trouble and help to bolster the mid game.

Babblers will sure be interesting as well.

A little concerned for marines, I still feel there is some sort of weapon missing between LMG and EXO chaingun.