Most annoying MOD, auto kick a player when server is 23/24

MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
<div class="IPBDescription">So, Admin can enter server.</div>At first I thought it was a admin who was just kicking me when I enter the server. After discussion from other aliens they told me there war stories too. It seems there is a MOD that will kick any player who tries to enter the server when it is one spot left to be full. I could be wrong someone else told me it is a bug from one of the MODS. But, if it is what I think it is this has to be blocked because I find it annoying and I know others feel my same concern.

Comments

• AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    This is up to the server operator, not UWE.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    This is very normal for online shooter games. I'd prefer the reserved slot system to be built into the game so servers don't have to do this kind of silly thing to allow moderators to join the game when it's full.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    I don't mind when a admin wants to connect and kicks the last player. What is happening instead is it is automatically saving the last spot for a admin even when the admin doesn't even join the server. So, as a result games will always be uneven with 1 player more to the other side and everyone looking at the server list will think there is 1 spot left only to join the loading process to be kicked once you are in. This MOD needs to be fixed so it will show that is full even with 1 spot left open for admin, so no one will be fooled in joining in just so he can get kicked.
  • beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    better yet, add another slot and lot it. so instead of 24, make it a 25p.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2039749:date=Dec 4 2012, 12:12 PM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Dec 4 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't mind when a admin wants to connect and kicks the last player. What is happening instead is it is automatically saving the last spot for a admin even when the admin doesn't even join the server. So, as a result games will always be uneven with 1 player more to the other side and everyone looking at the server list will think there is 1 spot left only to join the loading process to be kicked once you are in. This MOD needs to be fixed so it will show that is full even with 1 spot left open for admin, so no one will be fooled in joining in just so he can get kicked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Vary much this!
    It is really annoying to guess whether it is a server with a reserved slot or you really can join. It turns the server selection into a gamble.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2039749:date=Dec 4 2012, 06:12 AM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Dec 4 2012, 06:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't mind when a admin wants to connect and kicks the last player. What is happening instead is it is automatically saving the last spot for a admin even when the admin doesn't even join the server. So, as a result games will always be uneven with 1 player more to the other side and everyone looking at the server list will think there is 1 spot left only to join the loading process to be kicked once you are in. This MOD needs to be fixed so it will show that is full even with 1 spot left open for admin, so no one will be fooled in joining in just so he can get kicked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The server's I've seen doing it have been updating the name of the server to indicate what's happening...

There's several problems interacting here.

A: There really should be a "reason" field that is displayed to players when they are kicked. Right now it's confusing because if you weren't looking, or were muted or something, you may have no idea why you were kicked (if you were kicked for doing something wrong) or if it was just an auto kick like this plugin does.

B: The tendency of all servers to have an even number of slots. In NS1 the servers that did this generally had an odd number of slots. If you saw a server with 17 slots, you could usually assume the odd slot was a reserved slot. As I understand it, most of the server providing companies simply will not provide odd numbered slotted servers. Server ops are doing this because they kind of have to.

C: Ideally reserved slot systems could be done without an "empty" slot. UWE should have a system in place so if I click "join" a server the server is notified that I am waiting for a slot. If the server had access to a list of players waiting to get in, it could choose to order the list a certain way (depending on who it prefers the first slot) and then, if appropriate, choose to kick a player to open a slot for a "preferred" player. Because servers are unaware of who is trying to join them, no system like this is currently in place. It would be really nice if servers had more control over the queuing system as opposed from some external entity always overriding the server.

Effectively, most of this stuff is holdover from the way things were done in halflife/steam. Many of these things could be updated if UWE wanted them to, many of them still probably will, but for now, this is the system that we're stuck with.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Yeah, reserved slots is something that should be built in (along with AFK management) so that people can actually join all those "not full" servers. But UWE does have limited man-hours. Hopefully they'll add it sometime.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    This is how the DAK admin mod's reserve slot plugin works - it waits for a player to join completely and then kicks them if that slot was reserved. It's not breaking any rules but server admins shouldn't use it, it's a very bad user experience.
  • Mister BlackMister Black Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173201Members
    There's a server out there which kicks at 17/24. Seriously. BTW mod is not capitalized, as it is not an acronym.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    Most annoying POST, places random commas when commas not needed, So, OP can use terrible grammar.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2039962:date=Dec 4 2012, 06:50 PM:name=Smug_Lobster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smug_Lobster @ Dec 4 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most annoying POST, places random commas when commas not needed, So, OP can use terrible grammar.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Complaining about a post while doing it yourself as well as an example, where does this one rank on the annoyance scale? And where does my post scale, what with pointing out the thing you did about the thing that happened :P
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    Those "sentences" you wrote just broke my brain.

This thread is now about grammar and shame.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    the reserve slot plugin used in my mod should also set a password on the server when its going to kick non-reserve slot clients. If some people turn that off however theres really not much I can do about that.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2039979:date=Dec 4 2012, 07:33 PM:name=Smug_Lobster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smug_Lobster @ Dec 4 2012, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those "sentences" you wrote just broke my brain.

This thread is now about grammar and shame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was it something I said :P

Also @topic, this is indeed really up to the admins of the servers. The reserved slot thingy should probably be reworked a bit if at all possible to show 22p server with 2 hidden slots?
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Put me on the list to disable mods that auto-kick with open slots. Let's be clear, <b>I am 100% in favour of server admins having reserved slots for themselves or supporters.</b> My issue is that if a server shows open slots, that should be open slots for the PUBLIC. Make a mod that allows a person to join a full server (using a password) and then the mod can auto-kick the last person who joined the server. Or make another mechanism that does similar. I really don't care how it's done, but when we are trying to build a community it certainly will annoy new players to get kicked from servers that show open slots.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2039986:date=Dec 5 2012, 06:43 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 5 2012, 06:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also @topic, this is indeed really up to the admins of the servers. The reserved slot thingy should probably be reworked a bit if at all possible to show 22p server with 2 hidden slots?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the issue is that UWE have not exposed enough of the game to allow modders to do reserved slots without resorting to these methods.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I use odd numbered slots on my server as to indicate that there is reserved slots in use just like how it is been done for years in games like cs:s.

What the real issue is that we server admins can not serve you users a message explaining what is going on and how to prevent it by ordering reserved slots. You will get the message in console but this is not as user friendly as an actual popup box saying why you were kicked.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea hidden slots or even just an early connect check event in lua - plus a message that is shown to the client other than kicked, or being able to fake the playercount in lua. Otherwise it really requires replacing the QueryResponder.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I came across one of those servers. 17/18 slots, kick'd.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would like to see a reserved spot visual recognition on the server, like server information sub window or something. Another significant feature I would like to see is AFK kick. Longer than 10 minutes? Bye bye. I'm sure many people have noticed on servers like ]db[ where people just afk for hours on end because getting back into some servers can be a real nightmare.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    What slays me about some of these servers with reserved slots is that while they are kicking people to keep that last slot open since the server is 'full', on occasion if I'm on one of these servers there are often a few 'supporters' sitting in the ready room for the entire round.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Im surprised admins even do this considering how annoying it is, you at least got a message in ns1 but even that wasn't ideal, a full server should show as such and any extra slots should be hidden, that and bots showing as players should be avoided if you don't want to annoy people.