NS2 Optimization

Comments

• CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    A CPU dependent game means its a real PC game, since most console ports depend on your GPU to run. Yayy
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956795:date=Aug 3 2012, 09:21 PM:name=Fallward)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fallward @ Aug 3 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't ask me for my comptuer's specs - all you need to know is i can run ANY game on max except this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My secondary laptop (i use a desktop) from 5 years ago can run any game on max too.. since we're not mentioning specs or fps..
    Also: see my signature quote & links.. all of them. :-D
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    Yep both links are true. Good stuff to read while you're waiting for your pizza to bake at midnight >)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Older video cards will hold you back somewhat, it is much less than the cpu bottleneck however. I previously had a HD4850 and I would get probably half my FPS compared to a 460GTX.

And I tried an HD4000 and got about 3 to 5 fps max in NS2, so thats not true at all.
    And as has been stated before, 'playable' differs per person.
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    Well I think they should definitely work on the performance or on options that could be disabled to allow older machines to run NS2 with a good framerate. I think the performance needs a lot of attention.
  • JwamJwam Join Date: 2012-08-01 Member: 154540Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956795:date=Aug 4 2012, 06:21 AM:name=Fallward)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fallward @ Aug 4 2012, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I made an account JUST to reply to this thread.

I purchased this game about 6 months ago because i was an avid fan of the first game. Even though the price was VERY steep for a game of this size, i decided that it was worth it because of the enjoyment i got from the first game for free.

That said, i'm utterly disappointed with NS2.

The performance is HORRIBLE. Absolutely HORRIBLE.

Every time they update NS2 i get excited that they've optimised the engine, but no - more useless content that i have NO desire to access because the game runs like ######.

Don't ask me for my comptuer's specs - all you need to know is i can run ANY game on max except this.

Clearly, Natural Selection 2 is being developed by a group of computer science students with no knowledge of business.

If they even had one person with a business or marketing degree (EVEN A diploma), they'd realise that first and foremost the product has to actually be usable if they want any form of success.

They require positive word of mouth at this stage of development, but i've told more then ten friends to stay completely away from this.

Yes, i understand this is BETA - save the lecture; selling access to BETA stage is the perfect opportunity to spread some positive word of mouth. That said, the Beta has to give me SOME reason to actually do this.

Almost every single minute of dev time should be spent on optimisation at this point. I'd rather play ONE map that runs fine than have access to lots of maps that don't run at all.

Please Unknown Worlds, seek business advice. I completely regret my investment with this product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Selling access to BETA stage is the perfect opportunity to inject some money to continue the development. It is normal in a development process that the in depth optimization is taken care of in the late stages.

If you really understand what a BETA means, you should not complain about that. Optimization of NS2 is bad at the moment, that's true. But UWE is not doing marketing with the BETA.

Also, complaining about performance without giving system specs is pointless. If everyone was telling UWE : "OMG game runs like crap here but don't ask me anything, it's just that you're noobs at business", I don't think the game would be at such a good stage right now.

I've beta tested many games, and performance is nearly always an issue until the latest builds. So don't worry, be glad you invested on NS2 and made it possible, and you'll really enjoy the game in the next months.

edit: spelling, sorry for my bad english
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957012:date=Aug 4 2012, 03:10 PM:name=Jwam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jwam @ Aug 4 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But UWE is not doing marketing with the BETA.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That part is not true. UWE shows the beta at gaming expos, they invite people like TB to their office, they make their own videos... what do you think that is?
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2012
    Stop using out of date 10 year old hardware on an unreleased next-gen title.

I use a 2 year old 460 graphics card and a 2 year old bargain bin Phenom II processor black edition (overclocked to 3.6ghz).

I run the game at MAX GRAPHICS on 1920x1080 and average 40fps

Jesus people, it's not that hard to buy a half decent graphics card, stop using integrated garbage that can't even run tetris without lagging.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957018:date=Aug 4 2012, 03:20 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop using out of date 10 year old hardware on an unreleased next-gen title.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is not "next-gen" in any way.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957017:date=Aug 4 2012, 03:18 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Aug 4 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That part is not true. UWE shows the beta at gaming expos, they invite people like TB to their office, they make their own videos... what do you think that is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You have a point!
    Maybe I should have written "The main purpose of the BETA is not marketing"

edit: Don't get me wrong. Gaming companies make marketing with everything they can! This comes from BETA footage to PRE-ALPHA footage, to even artworks and trailers! And this is even more the case when those companies can not afford hiring a A graded marketing guy.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957018:date=Aug 4 2012, 08:20 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 08:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop using out of date 10 year old hardware on an unreleased next-gen title.

I use a 2 year old 460 graphics card and a 2 year old bargain bin Phenom II processor black edition (overclocked to 3.6ghz).

I run the game at MAX GRAPHICS on 1920x1080 and average 40fps

Jesus people, it's not that hard to buy a half decent graphics card, stop using integrated garbage that can't even run tetris without lagging.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have a similar setup that cost me around $550 a year and a half ago, could probably get it for a lot less today.
  • Matty101Matty101 Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154618Members
    Everyone should expect some bad performance, sometimes beta builds have reporting code built in that is laggy in itself and gets removed before release...or various other things.
    What i think worries people is the amount of fps needed to be pulled back out of the code from somewhere to make the game playable and sellable, atm i'm seeing about 30 fps needed just so people on medium machines can play for more than 10 minutes.
    Most games with major performance updates in beta would be lucky to see half that unless its bug/memory leak related.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Most of you are missing the point...

Client performance is not such a big deal because most people have fast enough computers, the problem is the game servers.. Most game servers around for running games are not that beefy and as everyone is well aware NS2 performance is very much based server performance, so they need to increase server performance by 10x for it to be at a suitable level so that most modest server hosts can run games if they can't do this there will not be enough server capacity for people who buy the game...
    I think we get the point...but client side is where we're getting hit with bad fps, and i'd have to say its a very very odd engine that affects client fps because of bad server code.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957035:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:55 PM:name=Matty101)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matty101 @ Aug 4 2012, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think we get the point...but client side is where we're getting hit with bad fps, and i'd have to say its a very very odd engine that affects client fps because of bad server code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Client side performance is heavily tied to the server...

If the server was running 10x faster a lot of people wouldn't have client side performance issues right now....
    I have never had any sort of fps/performance issues EVER and my computer is medium end at best.

Sorry kids, but you cannot play top tier games on your commodore 64.
    Like i said very very odd, most games run game side by side with net connection, firing udp data at each other as fast as possible, then giving the info up for processing. The only thing i could think of as a reason to tie client to data rate would be to purposely slow the game down to data rate to stop lagging issues effecting hitboxes and animation/placement.
    edited August 2012
    Just to give my technical feedback:

My specs:
    - Intel Core i7-2600k @ default clock
    - EVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 Superclocked 1.5GB
    - 12 GB DDR3 RAM
    - 128 GB Corsair SSD on which NS2 is installed
    - 27" screen @1920x1200p
    - 18 Mbps connection with ping of approx 30.
    - Everything ticked in the options except bloom and faded shadows

Game is fluid (45-60 FPS) at the beginning of any game. But the more combat happens in a condensed area / infestation spreads / action takes place, the more FPS drop.
    Yesterday, at the end of a 45 mn game, while playing marine, I got 15-20 FPS on the main base when the aliens were harassing the place.

I tried many servers, and did not really notice differences of FPS between different servers, but some of them were laggy and it was sometimes hard to hit enemies even with "quite good" FPS (35+). This does not mean server side optimization does not impact client side performance. This just means I had bad FPS at the end of games on every server I played.

I was surprised to notice that when everything is set to lowest/off on the graphics settings, FPS increase is at most 3-5 FPS.

The game really needs huge optimization before release. I really hope UWE team will be able to do it and make the game at least playable for medium rigs. But I don't doubt much about that.

edit: added connectivity data
    edited August 2012
    Jwam if you saw how bad the optimization used to be, you would have as much faith as I do in their ability to optimize it. I mean yes it still has some work to be done, but my god it improved drastically in every patch.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956795:date=Aug 4 2012, 05:21 AM:name=Fallward)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fallward @ Aug 4 2012, 05:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I made an account JUST to reply to this thread.

I purchased this game about 6 months ago because i was an avid fan of the first game. Even though the price was VERY steep for a game of this size, i decided that it was worth it because of the enjoyment i got from the first game for free.

That said, i'm utterly disappointed with NS2.

The performance is HORRIBLE. Absolutely HORRIBLE.

Every time they update NS2 i get excited that they've optimised the engine, but no - more useless content that i have NO desire to access because the game runs like ######.

Don't ask me for my comptuer's specs - all you need to know is i can run ANY game on max except this.

Clearly, Natural Selection 2 is being developed by a group of computer science students with no knowledge of business.

If they even had one person with a business or marketing degree (EVEN A diploma), they'd realise that first and foremost the product has to actually be usable if they want any form of success.

They require positive word of mouth at this stage of development, but i've told more then ten friends to stay completely away from this.

Yes, i understand this is BETA - save the lecture; selling access to BETA stage is the perfect opportunity to spread some positive word of mouth. That said, the Beta has to give me SOME reason to actually do this.

Almost every single minute of dev time should be spent on optimisation at this point. I'd rather play ONE map that runs fine than have access to lots of maps that don't run at all.

Please Unknown Worlds, seek business advice. I completely regret my investment with this product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry to hear about the performance, NS2 is now feature complete (internal playtesters only, beta isn't there yet) and almost all devs are working on optimizing the game.
    What are your PC specs and FPS please?
    To check FPS use the following command in console: r_stats 1 or use Fraps.
    edit:
    >Every time they update NS2 i get excited that they've optimised the engine, but no - more useless content that i have NO desire to access because the game runs like ######.
    When was the last time you played? They've been optimizing since the tech demo and it shows clearly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957055:date=Aug 4 2012, 04:30 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jwam if you saw how bad the optimization used to be, you would have as much faith as I do in their ability to optimize it. I mean yes it still has some work to be done, but my god it improved drastically in every patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeap I noticed that ;) Yesterday I watched the very first video of NS2HD, when he showed off the testing level where you could shoot mannequins. Wow it seemed to be a slideshow! As I said, I'm quite confident about optimization. I won't name the games I have alpha/beta tested, which optimization was very very bad during closed alpha/beta. And now some of them are blockbusters and are very smooth and good looking on every rig. And sold some millions of copies.

I wish NS2 the same!
    <!--quoteo(post=1957041:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:10 AM:name=Matty101)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matty101 @ Aug 5 2012, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like i said very very odd, most games run game side by side with net connection, firing udp data at each other as fast as possible, then giving the info up for processing. The only thing i could think of as a reason to tie client to data rate would be to purposely slow the game down to data rate to stop lagging issues effecting hitboxes and animation/placement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With NS2 the slower the server updates the more the game has to interpolate to work out what is going on and that calculation is VERY heavy...
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957055:date=Aug 4 2012, 05:30 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jwam if you saw how bad the optimization used to be, you would have as much faith as I do in their ability to optimize it. I mean yes it still has some work to be done, but my god it improved drastically in every patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, not really. I had higher average fps 2-3 months ago than now, and that was with much lower clocks on the cpu. Theres also some really weird stuff going on where your fps shows about 40, but the game is a slideshow in reality.
  • SebenzaSebenza Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154649Members
    edited August 2012
    for me it runs very smoothly at 50-80 fps (everything maxed, 1920x1080). just the very frequent freezes where i have to kill the process are annoying as hell.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957069:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:40 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With NS2 the slower the server updates the more the game has to interpolate to work out what is going on and that calculation is VERY heavy...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is the question i asked before why so much interpolation, i see 6 frames held back for it then you got heavy cpu prediction. Most games interpolation is just cosmetic to smooth out animation and even when its on it is usually only holding back 2-3 frames max, most people turn it off since they rather shoot at a real hitbox with jerky movement for real hits rather than a smooth animation that feels like you can barely do damage and the opponents get 2-3 frames extra speed on you(and in this case drags your fps to hell).
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956603:date=Aug 3 2012, 04:18 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 3 2012, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aimed summer release.

<!--quoteo(post=1957055:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:30 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jwam if you saw how bad the optimization used to be, you would have as much faith as I do in their ability to optimize it. I mean yes it still has some work to be done, but my god it improved drastically in every patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I experienced a peak in performance during the 180-190 builds before it plummeted in the 200+ builds. Besides, considering the game was literally unplayable in any shape or form (at least for me and I am sure many others) in the very early builds pointing out this improvement does not mean much as the real trick is not in making the game run but in making it run well (a much more difficult task from what I understand).
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz, 8 gig ram, 560 ti runs the game really good atm but with some slow down in huge firefights. That said I know my comp is above spec, but I will also say that since beta has started I have seen MASSIVE fps gains. I've been in beta a year or so, and lately the fps has increased a great deal. Hang in there, I am confident they will get it.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957040:date=Aug 4 2012, 04:05 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have never had any sort of fps/performance issues EVER and my computer is medium end at best.

Sorry kids, but you cannot play top tier games on your commodore 64.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My advice to you sir, take head out of ass and stop being stupid.

You know because you dont have problems doesnt mean that everything is fine.

We are actually some people on highend PC's who can run a lot better looking and more demanding games fine but no Natural Selection 2.

So calm down kid. nobody likes a smart ass.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    edit: ah someone already beat me to it, and was a lot nicer than me lol :)
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    edited August 2012
    From all of the people I know that used to play NS to death, I'm the only one that plays NS2. I have a 4 year old system and it's really unplayable for me. In fact, despite what people have been saying, I have had worse framerate spikes (mid to endgame) than with build 215. I sincerely feel like the outcast in the friends group I've accumulated, for even bothering to play NS2 so often.

I think what Fallward says is actually spot on, but as a fanboy of UWE, or atleast someone who has great respect for everything they've brought to gaming, I wouldn't have had the guts to say it.

A lot of people say "it's beta" "it'll be great, trust UWE" etc. etc. But honestly, I doubt it. Releasing a beta is not some magical excuse. A horrible beta can easily equal dissatisfied early adopters, which can really kill your momentum for the game to gain a healthy mainstream.

I love UWE ( intimate homosexual love) but I won't hold my breath for this one.

And I'm not sure where I would fit in on those two links (online disinhibition effect and taming the forum tiger), I just wanted to add my ignorant and worthless vote to the dissatisfied side of this discussion.