How to setup a NS2 dedicated server ( Video Tutorial )

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2012 in Server Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Learn how to create an independed dedicated gaming server</div><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->How To Create A Basic NS2 Dedicated Server (PART 1)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WsRSMXAOB4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WsRSMXAOB4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Establish A Professional NS2 Server (PART 2)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9yNaLErLh6k"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9yNaLErLh6k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->If you have any question then you can post it in this thread or you can contact me at www.oldassgamers.com<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

</div>

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited June 2012
    Great job mate! should make it alot easier for people having trouble.
    I vote for this topic to be webbed and for OP to get squad 5 badge.
  • AKBAARAKBAAR Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148086Members
  • ggbbggbb Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71333Members
    Great, then we might have even more good servers as 'OAG' running. Great video, and your English was good! :)
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nice! We need more servers for the out-of-beta release!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nice tutorial! Though you might want to change your Steam password (since it was right on the screen there).
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Hehe, I like this one. ^

---

Nice that you posted this tutorial, I'll check it out sometime later.
  • tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
    Very nice !!! :)

Thank you man!!
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    A 40 min very informative video. Thanks for taking the time to do this, mate.

<b>Squard 5 material right here!</b>
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1948056:date=Jun 30 2012, 11:42 PM:name=salor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (salor @ Jun 30 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A 40 min very informative video. Thanks for taking the time to do this, mate.

<b>Squard 5 material right here!</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

qft
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks everybody ! :)

Bump!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I linked your tutorial on the bottom of the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">dedicated server wiki page</a>, but this thread probably needs to be stickied too.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1948105:date=Jul 1 2012, 03:02 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jul 1 2012, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I linked your tutorial on the bottom of the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">dedicated server wiki page</a>, but this thread probably needs to be stickied too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks alot :) That's very kind of you :)
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2012
    oldassgamers, I've watched the entire video. From what I understand, you're using a tool for which you need a paid subscription in order to use the functionality you describe. Next to that, the information you provide is very specific to the current build and will very likely change in the near future.

To those that suggested it; because of these reasons, I find this video unfit to be stickied. A different (and perhaps in this situation, better) way to make guides like these is with text and screenshots. It's much easier to edit those when information and tools get updated. Perhaps you're also familiar with a variant of software that doesn't require payment?

None the less, it's definitely worth being mentioned in the existing stickies. Good job!
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1948166:date=Jul 1 2012, 01:53 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jul 1 2012, 01:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oldassgamers, I've watched the entire video. From what I understand, you're using a tool for which you need a paid subscription in order to use the functionality you describe. Next to that, the information you provide is very specific to the current build and will very likely change in the near future.

To those that suggested it; because of these reasons, I find this video unfit to be stickied. A different (and perhaps in this situation, better) way to make guides like these is with text and screenshots. It's much easier to edit those when information and tools get updated. Perhaps you're also familiar with a variant of software that doesn't require payment?

None the less, it's definitely worth being mentioned in the existing stickies. Good job!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Watched the video but apparently didnt read the description.

"Learn how to create an independed dedicated gaming server which don't require your present. Please note there is an non-licens version of the server control panel for UGCC which doesn't cost anything. For more information visit <a href="http://www.brainless.us/"" target="_blank">http://www.brainless.us/"</a>
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1948168:date=Jul 1 2012, 01:06 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Jul 1 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Watched the video but apparently didnt read the description.

"Learn how to create an independed dedicated gaming server which don't require your present. Please note there is an non-licens version of the server control panel for UGCC which doesn't cost anything. For more information visit <a href="http://www.brainless.us/"" target="_blank">http://www.brainless.us/"</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I read the description as well.

<!--quoteo(post=1948166:date=Jul 1 2012, 12:53 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jul 1 2012, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... need a paid subscription in order to use the functionality you describe. ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which means a significant part of the things he does in the video won't work with the free version.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Ill admit my defeat.
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1948166:date=Jul 1 2012, 10:53 AM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jul 1 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To those that suggested it; because of these reasons, I find this video unfit to be stickied. A different (and perhaps in this situation, better) way to make guides like these is with text and screenshots. It's much easier to edit those when information and tools get updated. Perhaps you're also familiar with a variant of software that doesn't require payment?

None the less, it's definitely worth being mentioned in the existing stickies. Good job!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for giving your thoughts to our community, now here is mine thoughts for you and to everyone else.

At current stage it's up-to-date, once it's un-updated then it's understandible to remove it from sticky. But for now, to all the new potential server operators this tutorial is very vital. because many new people don't have the experience to create a server and don't understand good english.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1948166:date=Jul 1 2012, 10:53 AM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jul 1 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oldassgamers, I've watched the entire video. From what I understand, you're using a tool for which you need a paid subscription in order to use the functionality you describe. Next to that, the information you provide is very specific to the current build and will very likely change in the near future.

I like the video format better than text and picture and I bet there are alot of people that prefer it that way.
    and I still vote this to be sticked I understand that in the future it MAY change but this works perfectly for the current build and just incase u can allways set the ns2 version number in the topic name.
    I agree that video's have some merits over text and screenshots. I'll consider the sticky request. Please leave the discussion on that matter as it is.
  • Combine_OverwatchCombine_Overwatch Join Date: 2012-07-01 Member: 153804Members
    I would like this stickied as well. In my opinion the video format offers some great benefits over a plain text tutorial especially if its as long and information rich as this one. Also, as stated before, if the video becomes irrelevant just un-stickie or remove it.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.
    Thread has been stickied in the <b>new</b> Server Discussion forum - here we've got a lot of room for threads like this one! :)
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nice one! I hope all of the servers will be as awesome as those form oldassgamers :D
    Just a quick update.

Once UWE has implemented all the server changes. (refering once they remove the server.xml file). I'll remake the entire video tutorial from scratch. I'll stick with small videos instead of one big video. :D
    My new tutorials are done, WOHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bekammkbekammk Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179603Members
    I click on steamcmd and crash .. Why and how to fix ?
    <!--quoteo(post=2060526:date=Jan 14 2013, 09:33 PM:name=bekammk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bekammk @ Jan 14 2013, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060526"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I click on steamcmd and crash .. Why and how to fix ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a log file in the steamcmd folder, please check it out and you'll find out whats going on. Write it here and I can try to solve it for you.
  • bekammkbekammk Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179603Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061460:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:02 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jan 16 2013, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a log file in the steamcmd folder, please check it out and you'll find out whats going on. Write it here and I can try to solve it for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nvm i fix that.. Can you give the config files ?