NS2 Loads to black screen.

2»

Comments

• DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000512:date=Oct 29 2012, 11:44 PM:name=HappyFlapps)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HappyFlapps @ Oct 29 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow - After MUCH searching and further testing, I found a thread that suggested I do the following:

<i>Run DXSETUP.exe at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\DirectX</i>

Immediately after running DXSETUP.exe, all works as expected (*me head-palms self).

Since this problem appears to be so prevalent, maybe UWE should try and detect this BSOD (Black-Screen-Of-Death) situation at the first instance of runtime and throw an infobox that alerts the user to the problem and the potential fix(es) for it? Your gaming public will thank you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OMG IT WORKED

ok, so i did this, PLUS i added the whole steam directory as an exception to my anti-virus program (avast if it matters), and i loaded up just fine again! WOOOO!!!! thank you so much HappyFlapps
  • LugubriousAmebaLugubriousAmeba Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164435Members
    Awe that was me who suggested it in the other thread!

I think what's happening is that steam is not lunching the required files when its first installing NS2 (since most of us are just moving the steamapp folder back over after a install) and it needs some of the files in the older version of DX
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2000533:date=Oct 29 2012, 09:31 PM:name=Drummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drummer @ Oct 29 2012, 09:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OMG IT WORKED

ok, so i did this, PLUS i added the whole steam directory as an exception to my anti-virus program (avast if it matters), and i loaded up just fine again! WOOOO!!!! thank you so much HappyFlapps<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There was a problem with our Steam setup that caused the DirectX installer to not work any more. We fixed this around 10 PM last night, so it shouldn't (fingers crossed) be a problem anymore.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I'm getting this black screen on launch too. Never happened to me before today. Running Windows 8 Pro 64bit. I tried running DXSETUP and it didn't help. I had it happen yesterday too but NS2 worked after restarting my comp.
  • oceN-shottyoceN-shotty Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15718Members
    edited October 2012
    My game works fine till I join a server. Then my surroundings are all black. All I can see is the stuff that is on top, stuff that isn't "the world", I can see the interface, the HUD, the chat, peoples names running around. I can't see my weapon, but I can hear and shoot it, and if I'm lucky I can blindly kill ppl :)

I can also see the morph menus, and I can morph to a gorge etc. So everything that isn't the actual world I can see :(

As Marine I can see the mini map, hp bars, waypoints etc etc

Any help is much appreciated.
  • oceN-shottyoceN-shotty Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15718Members
    I tried, As someone above suggested, the:

"To fix it I had to do the following:
    - Deleted local content for NS2 via steam
    - Deleted the NS2 folder in the AppData directory (e.g. \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2)
    - Deleted the NS2 folder in the Steam directory (e.g. \Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2)
    - Redownloaded NS2"

I even added in a reboot before redownloading NS2. But it still doesn't work :(

I have also updated my graphic card drivers (was the first thing I did, even before reinstalling).

I have no problem with other games. I play sc2 and Borderlands 2, among others.

Anyone have any other suggestions to what I can try?
    Was kinda looking forward to playing ns2 all night :(

The console spamms this
    "Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateTexture(1280x800, 1, D3DFMT_A2R10G10B10) failed (invalid call)
    Error: couldn't create render target 1280x800"

Is that any help? :/

//Neco
  • GibbyLOLGibbyLOL Join Date: 2012-07-26 Member: 154371Members
    Fixed the black screen on launch.
    1. run dxsetup in drive/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2/redist/directx/
    Its about half way down.
    2. Delete the files in drive/users/user/appdata/roaming/natural selection 2 **NOTE YOU NEED BE ABLE TO SEE HIDDEN FOLDERS SINCE THIS IS A HIDDEN FOLDER.
    - On win7 to show hidden folders click on organize>folder and search options>view check "show hidden files, folders and drives under hidden files and folders.
    3. Delete the folderC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders
    4. Go on Steam, go to Natural selection 2, right click>properties>local files> verify integrity of cache
    (this will re-download the files you just deleted, but it will be the correct files this time)
    Then it will give you a message saying it's done. Then you're all set, good to play NS2.

Edit: I fixed step 3. (for sure this time) <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122577&st=0#entry2002080" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....=0#entry2002080</a>
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Try the steps here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=122598</a>

If that don't work, its a long shot but try installing this: <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387" target="_blank">Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)</a>
  • HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000811:date=Oct 30 2012, 05:48 AM:name=LugubriousAmeba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LugubriousAmeba @ Oct 30 2012, 05:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awe that was me who suggested it in the other thread!

I think what's happening is that steam is not lunching the required files when its first installing NS2 (since most of us are just moving the steamapp folder back over after a install) and it needs some of the files in the older version of DX<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry Ameba! I found your thread that had the fix, but I had so many browser windows open, I was too lazy to go back and find your name in order to give you credit for the fix. Thank you for saving my sanity and I apologize for my laziness!
  • SkyPirateSkyPirate Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146845Members
    I get black screen after joining a server, its frustrating cuz ive tried all fixes
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    SkyPirate wrote: »
    I get black screen after joining a server, its frustrating cuz ive tried all fixes

It should be fixed next patch
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SkyPirate wrote: »

Enter net_log 1 in console while at black screen, and see the errors there.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    AAHHHH THREAD NECRO!
    Closed.

@SkyPirate‌

Please start a new thread with your techsupport zip file. There is about 10,000 reasons why you could be getting a blackscreen, and I highly doubt it has anything related to this thread from 2 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.