Debug Report

skycreationsskycreations Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152451Members
<div class="IPBDescription">This application has encountered a fatal error.</div>Hey NSPlayers and Forum Help,

Problem is as follows.

Debug Report
This application has encountered a fatal error.

log.txt
========================
Date: 05/22/12
Time: 13:52:31
--------------------------------------------------------------
Build 208
Starting Natural Selection 2
RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M (8.17.12.8026)
Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
Error: 32 memory leaks in 'Sound' (26432 bytes)
Error: 2327 memory leaks in 'Client' (764028 bytes)
Error: 327 memory leaks in 'Script' (19412 bytes)
RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M (8.17.12.8026)

minidump.dmp
========================
won't seem too open, If I knew where the files were generated to I could open at it's location.

Description of Error
========================
Run NS2 from steam (no hardware or software upgrades/updates, no start-up strings or mods) and it starts to load. Screen goes black to load the game and BAM! closes before the menu even loads up.

any help would be much appreciated!

-Elysia

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Could you verify your steam cache for NS2 and try again? To do this simply do the following:

<ul><li>Got to you Steam Library and find NS2</li><li>Right click Natural Selection 2 and select Properties</li><li>Go to the "Local files" tab</li><li>Click the "Verify integrity of game cache..." button and wait a bit</li><li>After it has completed, could you try running NS2 again?</li></ul>
  • skycreationsskycreations Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152451Members
    I have tried...

- reinstalling the game
    - check integrity
    - removed locally store files
  • GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    I am having similar problem and can't play the game, and I am le sad too.
    I would reformat my computer and let people know if that worked but that's a bit drastic plus I don't get my new hard drive for another week. @ GirlTurkey - has your problem only been in 208 or from before?
    edited May 2012
    I also learned I can run the game if I create a new user for windows and run steam/NS2 from there. This is not a solution for me or many people but give it a try if it seems that there is nothing left you can do. This leaves me to believe there are some local user files that need to be removed or adjusted. Maybe if someone can guide me to the locations of the programs and files used by NS2 I could hunt them down?

Thanks NS2 players,
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Outside of the specific steam directory, NS2 stores some data in the AppData directory. Easiest way to get there is to type %AppData% into Windows search bar.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If your user account in windows is corrupted, you may get issues like the one you have. I'd suggest setting up a new User like you have, and simply move all your data to the new user account and delete the old corrupt user account.
  • aoeuaoeu Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171917Members
    I realize that there hasn't been any comments on this for a few months but I had this issue today and this was the only result that showed up in Google so I thought I would add my solution. Creating a new user also fixed the issue for me but I found a simpler way to get it to work is to delete the C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 folder. You have to redo some of your settings but it got the game working again for me.
  • bigpoppabigpoppa Join Date: 2011-03-27 Member: 89038Members
    I have tried the above suggestion and it has not worked. I'm going to try re-installing the game and then update the thread if this has worked.