Natural Selection 2 News Update - Squad Five Awards

2»

Comments

• fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1933909:date=May 6 2012, 10:22 AM:name=Dusteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusteh @ May 6 2012, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wasn't having a go, I think its a great idea and I love what NS2HD is doing for Natural Selection 2.

I just think there is a big step between helping people out in game and creating a popular map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't. At least not really. What's to say I create a good map and there are fewer players who actually stuck around to play it?

Trust me, as somebody who created a DOD:S map I was proud of, nothing felt worse than seeing the community of that game die. Mappers won't map for a dead game!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Contributions can be anything consistent and positive for the NS2 community - Obviously there are some very, very deserving people who have missed out this round (Many of them in fact posting in this thread), and we will rectify this over the coming weeks.

As MaximumSquid points out, Squad 5 is not about special VIP access, it's recognition, a big 'high 5' and collective thankyou. Many, many more deserving people will be added to this list, give us time and use that nomination form :)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933950:date=May 6 2012, 03:26 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ May 6 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Squad 5 is not about special VIP access<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not even free Valet parking? dang..
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1933900:date=May 6 2012, 02:54 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ May 6 2012, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are missing Arga and Swalk nominated, for the nice download database were many of those nominated mods are mainly hosted - <a href="http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How about getting the gathers running? :D
  • LetonatorLetonator Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150632Members, Squad Five Blue
    Very much appreciate the recognition by the community and UWE. I just became active within the community a little over a month ago on a whim that I wanted to get back into the live broadcasting of games, and the fact that someone thought I was important enough is both mind boggling and humbling.

More than anything though, for all of us that got this award, it's an affirmation of the responsibility we must continue to take with the game and the community. Beyond anything else, we're all in this together because this game has always been a community effort. Wearing this tag means we need to uphold our responsibility to grow and improve the community, whether that's through mods, maps, community support, training, video production or broadcasting. This game will be a success, and it's going to be because each individual has been and will continue to work together for the greater good of everyone.

On a similar note, credit goes to everyone we've been able to work with on the casts so far. Hugh and InternetsLive put a lot of work with tech especially, and every single caster that's taken the time to learn about the community, learn the game, and present for hours on end deserves credit. As long as this community continues to grow and flourish, I personally guarantee we'll continue bringing you guys quality broadcasts and community interaction.

-Leto
  • bonebone Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76557Members
    Congrats to all nominated.

Also I would like to nominate all the players who baught the game pre alpha so that UWE could continue to build the great NS2 game.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934023:date=May 7 2012, 01:26 AM:name=bone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bone @ May 7 2012, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Congrats to all nominated.

Also I would like to nominate all the players who baught the game pre alpha so that UWE could continue to build the great NS2 game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think black armour is reward enough.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Kouji_San | For being an unrelenting all-encompassing positive influence on the community

Love this one, i don't know what Kouji does now, but he is a legend ! :D
    Remember bug testing with you a ns1 map years ago.
    <!--quoteo(post=1934029:date=May 6 2012, 08:09 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ May 6 2012, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Love this one, i don't know what Kouji does now, but he is a legend ! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

he serenades me with songs every night before bed.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited May 2012
    Matso should've been given a silver rating, along with tempest imo. Both have done such an incredible amount of work for the game, it's surprising they don't get more acclaim.

GJ to Orange, guess you're not trolling anymore, gj.
    <!--quoteo(post=1934039:date=May 6 2012, 08:54 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ May 6 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Matso should've been given a silver rating, along with tempest imo. Both have done such an incredible amount of work for the game, it's surprising they don't get more acclaim.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

as more people are awarded I'm sure they'll reevaluate the weight of each rank and "upgrade" people accordingly.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934045:date=May 6 2012, 07:09 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ May 6 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->as more people are awarded I'm sure they'll reevaluate the weight of each rank and "upgrade" people accordingly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An optimistic and noble thought.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I feel like giving awards to people for contributing forum posts is sort of stepping into a minefield... Nobody wants to talk about it, but people can feel slighted if they see other people being awarded for things they feel they've done just as well. I think it's a valid feeling, even.

It seems to me like we're either going to wind up with the majority of the active forum community members bearing an icon or with people feeling estranged and left out. If everyone who participates gets a blue, it sort of makes people who have both participated in community discourse and contributed maps/mods fade into a background of people who provided valid opinions and advice but did not create content. People like Dgelneshi and Tempest, to name a few examples. It's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but is it a thing we want to happen?
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933850:date=May 5 2012, 09:20 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ May 5 2012, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks and congrats to all! Although, I fear I should decline this as much as I appreciate it. Playa_2B is the generous provider of the 156 West servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

McG, it could not have been possible without your help, no way should you decline!! I am a server noob!!! You have done a great deal to support the NS2 Community, M v M mod and countless other contributions.

Playa_2b
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1934066:date=May 7 2012, 05:11 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ May 7 2012, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like giving awards to people for contributing forum posts is sort of stepping into a minefield... Nobody wants to talk about it, but people can feel slighted if they see other people being awarded for things they feel they've done just as well. I think it's a valid feeling, even.

It seems to me like we're either going to wind up with the majority of the active forum community members bearing an icon or with people feeling estranged and left out. If everyone who participates gets a blue, it sort of makes people who have both participated in community discourse and contributed maps/mods fade into a background of people who provided valid opinions and advice but did not create content. People like Dgelneshi and Tempest, to name a few examples. It's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but is it a thing we want to happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who was given an award for contributing to forum posts? I don't see any mention of forum posts in the whole list.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Really nice idea that squad 5 :)

I agree that matso should get a silver squad 5 medal :) he did an awesome job and made a bigger amount of contributions than many realize.
    <!--quoteo(post=1934066:date=May 7 2012, 05:11 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ May 7 2012, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like giving awards to people for contributing forum posts is sort of stepping into a minefield... Nobody wants to talk about it, but people can feel slighted if they see other people being awarded for things they feel they've done just as well. I think it's a valid feeling, even.

It seems to me like we're either going to wind up with the majority of the active forum community members bearing an icon or with people feeling estranged and left out. If everyone who participates gets a blue, it sort of makes people who have both participated in community discourse and contributed maps/mods fade into a background of people who provided valid opinions and advice but did not create content. People like Dgelneshi and Tempest, to name a few examples. It's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but is it a thing we want to happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Luckily the community determines who gets it, so it doesn't matter.
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    Great work everyone, looking forward to future projects!
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Oh, thanks to whoever nominated me.
  • matframatfra Join Date: 2004-01-10 Member: 25206Members, Constellation
    Is there a way to donate amutn of $$ to have 5squad icon. Im a constallation member. I would like to be a 5squad member too
    <!--quoteo(post=1934472:date=May 8 2012, 12:22 PM:name=matfra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matfra @ May 8 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a way to donate amutn of $$ to have 5squad icon. Im a constallation member. I would like to be a 5squad member too<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's not how squad 5 works.
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squad Five Awards!

Maybe the UWE Team should also look a their investors as people that deserve Squad Five Awards!

Those Investors would be the ones that helped the game get off the ground and kept afloat, and become the game that it is now becoming.

Without their influx of money this UWE team would not be making this game at all, they could not afford it.

The investors I speek of are the people that contributed their money to pre-purchase the alpha to get the game rolling for them.

The BLACK ARMOR GUYS and anyone else that pre-purchased and supported them.

After all they are now trying to run NS2 as a real business and with that you reward your start up capital investors, or UWE never would have had the opportunity to see this game become a reality.

Thanks, PREVERT_MAXIMUS :)
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks to those who voted for my contribution. It is a nice way to support/recognize contributors.
    <!--quoteo(post=1934878:date=May 10 2012, 12:02 AM:name=prevertmaximus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (prevertmaximus @ May 10 2012, 12:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Squad Five Awards!

Maybe the UWE Team should also look a their investors as people that deserve Squad Five Awards!

Those Investors would be the ones that helped the game get off the ground and kept afloat, and become the game that it is now becoming.

Without their influx of money this UWE team would not be making this game at all, they could not afford it.

The investors I speek of are the people that contributed their money to pre-purchase the alpha to get the game rolling for them.

The BLACK ARMOR GUYS and anyone else that pre-purchased and supported them.

After all they are now trying to run NS2 as a real business and with that you reward your start up capital investors, or UWE never would have had the opportunity to see this game become a reality.

Thanks, PREVERT_MAXIMUS :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you by any chance one of those "investors" you just praised so devoutly?
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1934893:date=May 9 2012, 06:44 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 9 2012, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you by any chance one of those "investors" you just praised so devoutly?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I am. And have supported this game from the start of NS1. But If I were the only one supporting the game they would be broke. :(

Just to say all early pre order/alpha investors deserve Squad Five Awards. Is not just for me, it's for all the people that hepled them continue this game.

With out them, there would be no mappers, playtesters, or anybody else to do things for UWE team, there would not be money for them to complete hopefully a Great NS2 game.

Thanks, PREVERT_MAXIMUS :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934878:date=May 9 2012, 10:02 PM:name=prevertmaximus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (prevertmaximus @ May 9 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The investors I speek of are the people that contributed their money to pre-purchase the alpha to get the game rolling for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was exactly what the black armor was for.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1935049:date=May 10 2012, 10:23 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 10 2012, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That was exactly what the black armor was for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly!

<!--quoteo(post=1934878:date=May 9 2012, 10:02 PM:name=prevertmaximus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (prevertmaximus @ May 9 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The investors I speek of are the people that contributed their money to pre-purchase the alpha to get the game rolling for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're not an investor in the business sense. You do not own shares. You gained Black armour for NS2 and constie icons if you helped feed Flayra while he developed NS1.

You're emotionally invested. You donated and purchased. You are a consumer, not an investor.

Thanks for being a consumer!