Distress Beacon Override

DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
Comm'd today, and was thinking that it would be awesome if as a cool micro trick, the Comm could initiate a distress beacon, and then manually click on a specific marine to override teleporting that specific player. Often, commanders want to beacon all their players to one place for an assault, but really want one player to sneak around back and cap RTs or do something sinister. If that player were already in the right place at the right time, you don't necessarily want to interrupt them on their mission.

Or, when a distress beacon is triggered, put a little clickable X over their head to toggle whether they get teleported in 3 seconds, or whatever. It could lead to some mad depth for Marine commanders.

$0.02

Comments

• RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    Being forced to call <i>everyone</i> back is a fun drawback. It makes it a harder choice.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Er. can't you already opt out of distress beacon?
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932928:date=May 2 2012, 11:15 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ May 2 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Er. can't you already opt out of distress beacon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wait, can you? How? I don't know if I would want that feature.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Opting out of a distress beacon would be awesome. It should be commander controlled so that rambo players cant ignore beacons to kill cysts / other pointless stuff.

I've wanted this feature for a long time, but I doubt it will be changed :-/
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    This would be completely game-breaking in that it would give marines unparalleled movement through the map. Though it is derived from skill the benefits are far too great. With one or two CCs and a lot of micro you would save near dead marines or move squads rapidly around the map as though it were a universal phase gate. I could elaborate more into this, but it suffices to say that, while this seems appealing due to its skilled nature, it is too powerful for marines to be able to utilize without breaking the game.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932978:date=May 3 2012, 07:55 AM:name=DarkOmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkOmen @ May 3 2012, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, can you? How? I don't know if I would want that feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I er, thought they added the option to opt out by holding E or something? I dunno, I can't honestly remember the last time I got beaconed.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This has been discussed at least two times already. Can't find the other thread, but this is one: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116818" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=116818</a>
  • stryker_montgomerystryker_montgomery Join Date: 2012-05-08 Member: 151718Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1933611:date=May 4 2012, 11:00 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ May 4 2012, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be completely game-breaking in that it would give marines unparalleled movement through the map. Though it is derived from skill the benefits are far too great. With one or two CCs and a lot of micro you would save near dead marines or move squads rapidly around the map as though it were a universal phase gate. I could elaborate more into this, but it suffices to say that, while this seems appealing due to its skilled nature, it is too powerful for marines to be able to utilize without breaking the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He is absolutely right a pro starcraft player could totally pwn with this like no tomorrow.

*EDIT*

If it was implemented I would want to be the players choice.. therefore making it much harder to abuse because it would require amazing amounts of cooperation and communication between the players and the commander.