Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 207 released

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932793:date=May 3 2012, 02:15 AM:name=Ybarra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ybarra @ May 3 2012, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You never experienced any problems with your what, 280-300 ping?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lowblow
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1932799:date=May 2 2012, 05:22 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 2 2012, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lowblow<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasn't meant to be an attack mate, just an observation. You had the best K:D ratio in the game and us on marines couldn't hit anything. But then again we weren't really working together all that well. :(

The only point I'm trying to make here is the fact that a few builds ago, 204 even, were more "enjoyable" than what we currently have. I apologize if I was a bit snobby, it's just frustrating.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932802:date=May 3 2012, 02:25 AM:name=Ybarra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ybarra @ May 3 2012, 02:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wasn't meant to be an attack mate, just an observation. You had the best K:D ratio in the game and us on marines couldn't hit anything. But then again we weren't really working together all that well. :(

The only point I'm trying to make here is the fact that a few builds ago, 204 even, were more "enjoyable" than what we currently have. I apologize if I was a bit snobby, it's just frustrating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A few negatives swayed the outcome of that game, but in my opinion, the first 10 minutes were the most balanced minutes I've played in NS2 for a while now. Maybe it was just team dynamics though, will have to wait and see.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Couldnt find server with decent tickrate :(

Apparently huge bugs, commander unable to drop certain rts and aliens unable to spawn (didnt experience myself though)

RTs still paper ; ;

Infestation hivesight still silly imba

Overall first impression was that balance changed a bit, core problems left unattented and performance dropped server wise.
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932802:date=May 2 2012, 05:25 PM:name=Ybarra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ybarra @ May 2 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only point I'm trying to make here is the fact that a few builds ago, 204 even, were more "enjoyable" than what we currently have. I apologize if I was a bit snobby, it's just frustrating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Personally, I found 206 to be the best build yet. The new alien Khamm was so much more smooth, the wave spawning sent packs of skulks to terrify marines, and the maturing alien structures along with the drifterless building finally makes alien Khamm feel like a gardener.

Glad to see two of the most imbalanced issues, bilebomb and ARC spam, addressed here. Now that ARCs are so fragile, this might make them unviable early game, but I will wait to test before commenting. :)

Just wanted to say that everyone's "favorite" builds are going to be different, so don't listen to the haters UWE! The hate on the 206 thread was really just over the top.
  • ixnayixnay Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150449Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932807:date=May 2 2012, 04:39 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ May 2 2012, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Couldnt find server with decent tickrate :(

Apparently huge bugs, commander unable to drop certain rts and aliens unable to spawn (didnt experience myself though)

RTs still paper ; ;

Infestation hivesight still silly imba

Overall first impression was that balance changed a bit, core problems left unattented and performance dropped server wise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With so many problems, this Summer release looks like it will be a huge hit for the company and the game will be a resounding success with high customer satisfaction guaranteed.
  • iCed_iCed_ Join Date: 2012-04-26 Member: 151107Members
    I did like to see the lerk gas confusing sentrys. I always pictured the lerk as a support unit, something like an combat starter. Who knows, perhaps returning bile to gorges and giving lerks primal scream would make them more support and less pusher? It is always good to remember that the main tier 1 unit for aliens is the skullk ;-)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    No, No, No, No, No, NO NONO WHY
    WHY DID YOU NOT FIX THE GORGE
    WHY ARE YOU INTENTIONALLY RUINING THE GAME
    WHY. WTF ARE YOU DOING, YOUR MAKING GORGE A POINTLESS CLASS WHILE MAKING MARINES SMOOTHER TO PLAY? WHY?
    There is NO point in gorge since the previous build, how can you not see that?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    lol.. i should eat popcorn while reading these forums..
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1932807:date=May 2 2012, 07:39 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ May 2 2012, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation hivesight still silly imba<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that is unchanged. in the progress tracker you might have seen it, but it is queued for build 208
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2012
    Some of the issues like.. not being able to drop RT's I would love to see on video, note.. Note: in 206 you used to be able to stop drifters on top of resource node which causes commanders/players to not be able place extractors in which they thought was a bug, that has changed.. almost (there is still a way) Make sure it is a bug and pertinent to build 207 please.

Aliens unable to spawn, make sure to reproduce that as well, saying you haven't experienced it isn't useful. Make sure it is also not the new wave spawn timer that has changed.

Lastly, please please PLEASE do not play rockdown as that is a disfunctional map.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ybarra did you not read the change log? "We are now starting a two week "sprint" where we are focused on the new main menu, new Shade abilities and the Shift, while the more engine focused guys (Max and Dushan) are working on performance." patience for heavens sake people patience.

I like 207, yes there are still small bugs here and there but overall its an improvement to the last build. I'm sure everyone will do their best to be constructive on here and give thoughtful opinions after they have played for more than 10 minutes :)
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932839:date=May 3 2012, 11:45 AM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ May 3 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some of the issues like.. not being able to drop RT's I would love to see on video, note.. Note: in 206 you used to be able to stop drifters on top of resource node which causes commanders/players to not be able place extractors in which they thought was a bug, that has changed.. almost (there is still a way) Make sure it is a bug and pertinent to build 207 please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't even like that it was changed, let alone registered as a bug.

It should be a viable tactic.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1932835:date=May 2 2012, 10:37 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ May 2 2012, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol.. i should eat popcorn while reading these forums..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You may find this funny. But really it's becoming a lil much. The game is due summer and the dev's have no path for the game. The community is getting upset and don't understand most the changes. Charlie when you decided to make this game did you have anything mapped out in you're head? Or was it a think ill just build it as i go? If the answer was ill build it as i go... then this is the issue. No plan.....
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2012
    <!--QuoteBegin-Arkanti+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't even like that it was changed, let alone registered as a bug.

It should be a viable tactic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was on your side about it too! :P But it just frustrates players to no other, and oh, people are blind... :P (marines trying to build the extractor)

Note to others: Aren't you glad you bought a beta game? I mean you could have waited until it was 1.0 to purchase the finished version. Thanks for helping out so much in beta-testing, bug finding, play testing, and feature testing as well. It all useful to the development cycle and it does get things done much faster. If you are impatient, maybe you should have waited. :P
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited May 2012
    Auro this is PutCashIn ... It's all your fault! (I blame Auro just for joining a server) ... how is Gorge ruined dude? It does seem like forcing you into perma gorging, is this what you mean?

PS: Jucci-Pucci, with all due respect, piss off man. It's just a game ... if you sold your soul for some server advertising rights then thats your issue, (most) of us just payed some coin and thus get to chomp some Marine face, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932849:date=May 2 2012, 10:48 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ May 2 2012, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was on your side about it too! :P But it just frustrates players to no other, and oh, people are blind... :P (marines trying to build the extractor)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is amazing how some people are unable to comprehend tactics like this. Even in Starcraft I've seen Zerg players burrow a Zergling underneath a potential Nexus/Hatchery/CC expansion area, and a <b>pro player</b> doesn't understand why they can't build (coincidentally the game I'm thinking of went on to be one of the most enjoyable pro SC games I've ever watched, and all for entirely the wrong reasons).
    <!--quoteo(post=1932849:date=May 2 2012, 10:48 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ May 2 2012, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was on your side about it too! :P But it just frustrates players to no other, and oh, people are blind... :P (marines trying to build the extractor)

Note to others: Aren't you glad you bought a beta game? I mean you could have waited until it was 1.0 to purchase the finished version. Thanks for helping out so much in beta-testing, bug finding, play testing, and feature testing as well. It all useful to the development cycle and it does get things done much faster. If you are impatient, maybe you should have waited. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This whole beta thing is becoming a big cop out for you guys. The games gonna be done or rushed what 1.0 hit. And then what will the reason be? Back to oh but its just 6 guys making it? To me the issue is lack of having a plan. And going back and forth.... Lack of leadership. GG
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932855:date=May 2 2012, 06:58 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ May 2 2012, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This whole beta thing is becoming a big cop out for you guys. The games gonna be done or rushed what 1.0 hit. And then what will the reason be? Back to oh but its just 6 guys making it? To me the issue is lack of having a plan. And going back and forth.... Lack of leadership. GG<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe the whole open beta was a big mistake then? A lot of this back and forth seems to be in response to player feedback on the forums, where they are chasing balance issues in the short term instead of working towards the finished product. If it weren't for us screaming all the time there would probably be exos by now, but instead they're trying to address the issues we bring up in the forums.

I guess we'll never really know which was the better option, but at least for me this has been a fascinating look into the inner workings of game development.
    Naw i don't think that's the issue. The issue is lack of a game plan. Sure there is a plan (make NS2). But it seem's there was no long term plan. It's just a painting. You paint it as the idea's come to you.....
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Increased Whip Bombard damage to 1200 and added custom damage type: it will deal light damage (half to armor) and affect only structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Um.. ok *lol*. I hope that damage number was a typo. Sure it does less damage to armour but lol, did no one realise thats like half the hp of an IP 2250 hp + 125 armour? Hate to say it, but this is so ridiculous i have to ask how this got through pt at all?

Ok. Just checked balance.lua. Looks like it wasn't a typo. Sigh UWE sigh.... I'm really not quite sure what to think anymore about what the devs see as balance. Hilarious buff if nothing else.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited May 2012
    I'm seeing a lot of mad, no solutions....aaaaaaand whips 2-shotting IPs.

Cool!

Oh, and the IP/PG pushback thing is silly. What do the aliens get to babysit them while they're in their weak pathetic eggs?

Marines being spawncamped is a consequence of aliens enormously outplaying marines, not of a flawed design. It didn't need to be changed (just like marines fundamentally don't need to spawn with an IP).
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932862:date=May 3 2012, 02:14 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ May 3 2012, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Um.. ok *lol*. I hope that damage number was a typo. Sure it does less damage to armour but lol, did no one realise thats like half the hp of an IP 2250 hp + 125 armour? Hate to say it, but this is so ridiculous i have to ask how this got through pt at all?

Ok. Just checked balance.lua. Looks like it wasn't a typo. Sigh UWE sigh.... I'm really not quite sure what to think anymore about what the devs see as balance. Hilarious buff if nothing else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the chamber itself, whip, is useless chamber and usually extremely easy to kill. So they're trying to "balance" things out by making it useful hence the amazing change like all the older changes they made to the whip which still makes the chamber worthless AND easy to kill. like flamethrowers, sounds great and fancy but it just doesn't belong in NS, but because it sounds great on paper, they're forcing it to work even if it doesnt. (like many other things)

i'm somebody going to come and say "whip rush", just stop, stop..

I don't understand this, but game becomes worse almost every patch now, what is charlie's vision endgame wise? The list of all bad ideas just grows, and I wonder who sits there agreeing with charlie about all these changes. HAS NS1 TAUGHT YOU ANYTHING? its like they fixed the good ideas to the point they're broken now, and fixing the broken ideas made by that.

no performance boost of any kind, not good. when can this be expected?
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Enjoying the new build so far, but then again I enjoy all the builds. :)

One small note so far: Can you add the feature that when the Khammander builds a res tower, it pushes off any alien player on the node (just like the phase gate now pushes people)?

I was a marine, but played a game tonight where the aliens said a teammate was intentionally griefing by blocking a node and going afk the whole game.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1932873:date=May 2 2012, 09:35 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ May 2 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    no performance boost of any kind, not good. when can this be expected?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a meaningful boost? when max is done with revisiting the lua interpreter (which will make a big difference). other than that it will stick to the same pattern we had throughout the latest 20 patches (ups and downs)
    <!--quoteo(post=1932877:date=May 2 2012, 09:40 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ May 2 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a meaningful boost? when max is done with revisiting the lua interpreter (which will make a big difference). other than that it will stick to the same pattern we had throughout the latest 20 patches (ups and downs)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

edit: with more ups once the game is feature complete
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1932843:date=May 2 2012, 06:46 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ May 2 2012, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ybarra did you not read the change log? "We are now starting a two week "sprint" where we are focused on the new main menu, new Shade abilities and the Shift, while the more engine focused guys (Max and Dushan) are working on performance." patience for heavens sake people patience.

I like 207, yes there are still small bugs here and there but overall its an improvement to the last build. I'm sure everyone will do their best to be constructive on here and give thoughtful opinions after they have played for more than 10 minutes :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Forgive me if I'm wrong but is this not the place where we are supposed to "<i>..post comments on the Natural Selection 2 Update - Build 207..</i>"? I have played the game for more than 10 minutes, and yes, I do have patience.

I don't find it very kind or respectful that folks are being attacked for voicing their opinions on the current beta build. We've been asked to do so. This is a beta, we test it, and we give feedback on how the game plays out. Maybe I should have clearly stated in my post that my views were from my first impressions with this build, and I do in fact plan on playing it more, of course, to figure out how and what could be done to improve upon my aforementioned comments.

I'm not a developer, I don't make games, but when I find something a bit out of sync with what's to be expected, I try to let people who can make a difference about it, know about it. Would you rather that no one said anything at all and just smile as we see possibly detrimental changes affecting the game?

Can't we be respectful to each other and still get our ideas out there?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1932866:date=May 2 2012, 06:19 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 2 2012, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do the aliens get to babysit them while they're in their weak pathetic eggs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dozens of other "fake" eggs.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    Game is still being optimised lads.

Curious to see Flayra's vision of NS2 come to fruition and what the end product will be. Seems to be a lot of angst on the forums now that there's a deadline quickly approaching.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    if you up the melee damage whips make for actually some good rush support when on close spawns. cyst into their base and micro some whips around to catch marines while skulks are attacking. but it takes too long to get mature whips for this to work anymore.