Power Nodes and Nodes of Power
The Micks Ketches Join Date: 2012-05-02 Member: 151441Posts: 4Members
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
With the current build, constructing and rebuilding a power-node requires little investment in the form of time, effort, and vulnerability. The initial socketed power-node has the additional investment in the form of a building that is placed in that area, but once a power node is destroyed it can be rebuild with little additional cost. The persistence of power-nodes despite the area being taken over by Kharaa (and the buildings it powered already destroyed) is a common occurrence with many players not bothering to mess with them at all if the area is heavily contested.
It seems that Marines are getting too much bang for their buck when rebuilding a power node, with the value created by rebuilding a power-node inappropriate for the input given.
While still keeping the node a low risk structure, I propose these options to keep power-node spam under control:
- Each destruction lowers the constructed health of a power node requiring a welder or MAC to bring it back to full HP. (ex: Rebuilt power node has 75% HP after 1 destruction, 50% after 2, 33% after 3+). Associate each diminished state with a lower frequency powered_on sound for more intuitiveness.
- Each destruction lowers the constructed health of a power node unless a welder or MAC brings it back to full HP. (Perhaps ignored in an area with a tech point or Command Center present)
- Require welders or MACs to rebuild a power node
- If no buildings are present in the area, the socket beneath the node can be destroyed as well.
- Cost rez to rebuild
- Associate nodes only with lights & sentries (requiring welders to rebuild)
Power node spam has bugged me for a while especially when I see some newcomers munching at a node in a contested area knowing they will do little good.