Kickstarter

TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
<div class="IPBDescription">or "Who wants a Plush Gorge?"</div>So obviously this would have to be a project that UWE would manage, but post your support and comments here.

<b>Goal:</b> again UWE would set their own goals and what they would actually spend the money on, but as a hypothetical here are some ideas: (some blatantly stolen from Hugh ;) )
<ul><li>A big NS2 advertising campaign.</li><li>A PAX/Gamescon hyper mega-booth. </li><li>A 'fly all the press to Hawaii' launch party.</li><li>Start a merchandise line (PLUSH GORGE!)</li><li>Port to other platforms.</li><li>New Hardware, more staff, more polish, help with production etc etc etc...</li></ul>

<b>Rewards:</b> Now this is the fun part, what type of rewards would you want to see?

<u>Low Level Backers</u>
Kickstarter backer gaming tags
Exclusive wallpapers
Name in credits
Ready Room Only models (Be a Drifter in the Ready Room! :D )

<u>Mid Level Backers</u>
A copy of the game.
Black Marine Armor
Female Marine Model (!!!)
Retextured Alien Models

<u>High Level Backers</u>
T-shirts!
Action figures!
PLUSH GORGE!!!
A ticket to the Hawaiian Launch Party
A Scorpian that hovars without flapping.

Add your support below with more ideas for goals and rewards :)

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    Your planned rewards seem a lot too much to me, they might also mean a lot of additional work for UWE, actually decreasing the benefit of the Kickstarter project.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    yea, i'm pretty sure we've discussed the hell out of the bring back black armor topic, and that won't come back. They don't have the money as indicated by Hugh to do a Hawaii launch part. Female marine is coming after launch. I also believe that it has been discussed about re-texturing aliens or giving skulks different eye colors but that was dismissed as well.

That said, i think a kickstarter for a gorge plush toy would be sweet. I also think the ability to be MACs or Drifters in the ready room is awesome, wall papers and gametags would be cool, and t-shirts aren't to tricky, in fact Hugh had one made a while back for ns2hd i believe.

All in all i love the idea of Plus Gorges so much, and i'd love to see a kickstarter, but some of your rewards would be out of reach for UWE, better communicate with them a bit more before you set up rewards for backing the project.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I agree that those rewards seem a bit excessive. A plush Gorge kickstarter as an effective pre-purchase system would be great.

For funding booths and press trips though, I'm not sure that would be a very practical exercise, considering the amount of expense those things tend to incur and the inherent futility in competing with massive corporate marketing budgets. Additionally, I feel that things like the handmade booths, while probably not the bet possible fit for their situations, sort of represent UWE's indie nature in a way no amount of fancy funding could match.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Buying into the alpha/beta pre-orders has been UWE's "Kickstarter" since long before Kickstarter became a thing.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931226:date=Apr 28 2012, 01:35 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Apr 28 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buying into the alpha/beta pre-orders has been UWE's "Kickstarter" since long before Kickstarter became a thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So so true. I think the only reason for a kickstarter would be for those cute little plushies.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    edited April 2012
    +1 best part of the idea is the plushies lol
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    I totally agree that the official "kickstarter" was launched years ago and that the rewards levels will need some serious and realistic attention.

But this idea is more to help generate some interest in the game, get some new players, get some media hype pumping and hopefully raise enough cash to not only see this through to launch, but to make it launch with a huge media presence that grants this game the recognition it deserves :)

Also, plush gorges.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    plus gorges aren't as viable as they seem

to get them done right they wind up costing like $30 USD or something

I recall back when a bunch of people seriously considered it