NS2 Aussie/Kiwi community website
So this one is already in the works and ive made a decent start but thought I would put it up here to make it official and gain more support.
Original Post: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=117698&hl=
Its a bit of a read below this paragraph so to summarise whats needed for this project:
Why create www.ns2au.com ?
- Someone with sketching skillz who could put together an awesome logo - thinking something with native animals hanging out with the Kharaa. Koalas hanging off the hive, wombats riding the back of Onos, Kangaroo with a skulk in its pouch - fun stuff like that.
- Someone with photoshop skillz who wants to do website background (decorate our home)- liking the idea of a clean light interface with cool art style infestation wrapping around all over the place.
- Good tacticians who want to contribute to content writing.
- People on the NS pulse who have a way with words and want be news mans/womans.
- Anyone with Drupal7 skillz who wants to also be involved in backend dev.
Recently the Aussie community lost its 3 servers and has been struggling to find a suitable replacement, the community banded together to find a solution. Internode came to the table and helped out but the hardware still doesnt provide as decent an experience as Endars Aus Pure boxes (now looking for co-location for that hardware). During this time there were a few people who suggested the community needed its own place on the web, I took it upon myself to offer this service.Who is the target audience for ns2au.com ?
A community of Australian and Kiwi gamers who have a real interest in NS2 and the people they play with regularly on those servers. Those who dont want to contribute and are just passing by may wish to browse the interesting articles or tactics section to learn a new trick or two.
Main Features of ns2au.com
- A community website by the community for the community, I am making the foundation but the members are the 'gardeners' tending to the content and growing the site to maturity. Members gain points for tending to the garden and may loose points for being weeds ;)
- Articles will be community members opinions on the game in general and its development, not all players will be keeping an eye on dev logs, official forum posts and tweets - our articles can provide an overview of the games evolution
- Extensive tactical knowledge base, articles on tips for playing the game and strategies to try (well categorised and tagged)
- Member profiles are detailed, the website is about 'the players' and we want them to be a major highlight
- All members can register using their steam accounts (steam community API) - certain parts of their profile are then populated from this connection
- Forums powered by phpBB3
- Members can create clans and add information about them, they get a clan sub forum with an open recruiting section and private clan only sections
- Top level links to competitive ladders and leagues but none arranged or tended by ns2au.com itself (others are doing this better)
- Top level links to offical NS2 website, NS2HD videos and streaming matches
- ns2au steam group for keeping track of community members and where they are playing
The above is obviously just whats planned for go live, the website is built on the Drupal 7 framework and as such can evolve any way we like as more ideas arise or features are suggested.
The main intention is to have a place that the Aussie/Kiwi community feel ownership of.