excuse my tone, I love the devs + NS2 <3
First off: MAJOR ABUSE/BUG: lerks can bile operations in mineshaft through glass
It's simply not possible to play against lerks, THEY ARE SO IMBA!
Assume far into techtree if not A3+W3. Team has to hold main base, maybe another base to that, THIS ALREADY IS A CHALLENGE becuase of the lerks! If an onos or two come in and disrupt "the balance" there's a high risk of losing the secondary base (or something bad happens in MS). All this costs precious res!
...add to this, holding any RT/ground inbetween - it is IMPOSSIBLE! The marine team is only so large, and if an onos shows up somewhere, majority have to go there to have a chance to deal with it.
THAT WAS JUST KEEPING STATUS QUO!
What about pushes/progress? If a push has to have a chance of success majority of marines need to be there - READ ABOVE!
So why? Why is this 30 res weak unit such a big deal?
1. Spikes have an ABSOLUTELY INSANE DPS that can finish a marine in under TWO SECONDS! Plus these tiny light spikes seem to damage buildings like papier-mÃ¢chÃ© (see how looked up the spelling - THAT'S how serious the lerk issue is!)
2. Lerks have HUGE mobility which makes them able to flash in and out of bases.
3. They are REALLY REALLY hard to hit. My fps is among the highest, and I shoot/pistolsnipe them all the time yet I'm saying this. Imagine how it's like for players with 1y old comps? 2y old comps? even older comps?
(shotgun saves the day somewhat)
4. now add BB to this unstoppable, immortal lerk AND DO THE MATH!
Also and that BB blocks welding.
Yes I read in the design document about how the lerk should be a "disruptor" and it sounds very good and logical and all. But this is the reality now. He is a TOO EFFING GOOD disruptor. There are NO SKULKS on the map since they all went lerk - SKULK BECAME REDUNDANT - against design doc!
BB was fine on gorge, just don't make it do freakin 500 dmg vs buildings and shoot twice as far as GL!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Seriously nerf spikes somehow. E.g. make them less effective against anything armored. On marines who still have armor, the armor should absorb/nullify a large portion of the damage. Buildings: the attack type of spikes should do little dmg to buildings!
2. Bilebomb should be changed! Make it a DISRUPTIVE ability not a DAMAGING ability! Like making the buildings "work" at say half speed. Slows down: sentries shooting, research, ip:s spawn, armory heal, energy generation, resflow, pg cooldown, etc.......
This would REALLY add the need for strategy/teamwork instead of ramboing lerks on their own bringing marines to their knees locking them into one base that is a losing battle of not being able to weld.
Maybe it could do some small damage that is just enough to annoy marines (disruptive) but not enough that rt:s need defending against lerks very much.
3. GET BACK BB TO GORGES WHERE IT BELONGS! It fit their role PERFECTLY in ns1 - they were the only non-dmg dealers, they had every function that is not killing marines collected in one place: gorge! So they did structural dmg. BUT! THEY WERE VULNERABLE - which lerks aren't! TRADEOFFS - according to design doc!
my previous criticism/suggestion of BB alone:
QUOTE (weezl @ Apr 20 2012, 04:36 AM) »
bilebomb is still INSANELY imba!
the mobile-ness of the lerk makes it hard to hit/kill (gorge in ns1 was very immobile AND VULNERABLE)
add the weld locking on bilebomb, that even lasts TWICE THE BILEBOMB TIME
and finally, add several lerks herassing a base
NOW DO THE MATH!
lerks are now the top lifeform, they are almost impossible to kill, and in the unlucky case of dying, there's probably res enough to just relerk! THEY ARE THE NUMBER ONE GAME-BREAKER for marines right now. Onoses can be focused and chased with some success, fades die sometimes too - both need time to regain enough res, but lerk doesn't!
suggestion: start by making weld work at half effectiveness during bile.
if this doesn't seem to change the balance much, remove the weldblock altogether.