Natural Selection 2 News Update - Indie Booth the Movie

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Indie Booth the Movie here

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited April 2012
    Totally awesome :D

In half of the video, let you know when I finish!

Edit: Epic video is epic, a toast to UWE and the community!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <3 & thanks for making ns2 UWE!
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    Superb! Awesome! I love the fact that you took pieces of the 2 by 4s with writings on them.
  • TailorTailor Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13927Members, Constellation
    I have to say that getting hugh to do this PR work has been giving returns, at least in my eyes, and I hope it will be showing in the numbers of hits to the site and sales of the game.

And, having been around for a while now, the last 10 seconds got me pretty good. Thanks guys for sticking it out and delivering a great game for us. You'll always have a fan.
  • FightmasterFightmaster Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149328Members
    Sweet guys, glad everything went swimmingly. I hope we get loads of new people to join us in enjoying NS2!
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    Fantastic video, looks like you lot had a great time at PAX. Great work everyone, thank you again for the amazing game and all the hard work you've put into it.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Manly tears all around.
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927440:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:10 PM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Apr 20 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Manly tears all around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha. Yeah good job Hugh and team at UWE....I want more though! MOAR! :-D
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great video! I love the way Hugh says 'Home Depot'
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yea, we didn't take all of the signatures but we got as many as we could fit into our luggage!
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Very cool video. Now I am even more excited to meet you guys at PAX Prime (I think I heard Hugh say that you guys would be there. Hopefully anyway).

Keep it up!
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    Very nice video and awesome job at PAX guys. :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1927444:date=Apr 20 2012, 10:13 AM:name=Chops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chops @ Apr 20 2012, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea, we didn't take all of the signatures but we got as many as we could fit into our luggage!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually incorrect! We took every single one we could chop out of the booth :) You just didn't see how many bits of wood I had in my bag Chops :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1927447:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:16 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Apr 20 2012, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is actually incorrect! We took every single one we could chop out of the booth :) You just didn't see how many bits of wood I had in my bag Chops :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That must've been awkward when going past the TSA (the weird people)
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Great video! I love this game lol.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    i was looking for my "i love you ns2hd" thread, but i can't find it ...

but

I LOVE YOU HUGH!

you are such a talented guy!!!

keep on working in that business! ns3 to come ;P!!!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Man, should've totally written on those pillars as well. Perhaps you could keep that trend up for your conventions and make a wall of the community one day. :D
  • DiscoDisco Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104584Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927440:date=Apr 19 2012, 08:10 PM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Apr 19 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Manly tears all around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed.

Great work you guys! You shouldn't have been worrying about people not playing Natural Selection 2, we all know
    its too awesome not to play. Truly inspiring stuff. Keep it up! :D
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited April 2012
    Hey Hugh, I want to give you some feedback on your filming. I studied television production for a few years but I'm by no means an expert. From watching the video some beginner mistakes stand out, I understand you are not a professional camera operator but I thought I could give you some feedback to up the production quality a little. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to bash the video. You did a great job and the editing and music was really good.

First of all, what kind of camera are you using?

Many shots were blurry and out of focus. If you are using autofocus then turn it off and learn to manually focus each shot. Zoom right into the subjects eyes and then focus, and then zoom out to frame your shot correctly.

Many shots were overexposed and blown out. It can be difficult to have the correct exposure while filming against a window like you did in many situations. Again, make sure you use manual exposure settings rather than the auto mode. You can also try and use an ND filter (many cameras have one built in) to try and reduce the light intensity. In an ideal situation you would be able to close the blinds and shut out all daylight and then use a lighting kit. Even without professional lighting equipment you can still prevent the shots from being over exposed by avoiding windows where possible. Film against the wall and have the window at your back so that the scene is evenly lit and no parts are blown out and overly white. Don't be afraid to move the furniture around in order to get a better shot.

Note: Try not to have your subjects sitting right up against a wall. It is better to have some space between the subject and the wall so that when you focus on the subject the background is out of focus and a bit blurry. This helps to give your shot some depth and highlight the subject.

Framing - When interviewing someone it is best not to place the camera below or above their eye level. Keeping the camera at eye level gives the most natural look. Also make sure that you (as the interviewer) are also sitting at eye level, so that your subject isn't looking up or down when making eye contact. You should try and position your subjects slightly off to the side (rule of thirds) and you (the interviewer) should sit on the opposite side so that the subject is facing slightly towards the space. (e.g. <a href="http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/12/18/world/middleeast/18lede_karroubi/blogSpan.jpg" target="_blank">http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/1...bi/blogSpan.jpg</a> ) Also, make sure their eye level is about 2/3 up in the frame. If their eyes are in the middle of the frame there is often too much empty space above their head (like your interview with Charlie at his desk). Try not to have plants or any big distractions directly behind your subject, it can often look like it's growing out of their head xD (your interview with dushan in the office was a good example of framing a shot well)

I don't know if you have a tripod or not, but when panning you should try and move a little slower and smoother (this can be hard to do handheld though) Also, try and have a start and an end frame where you are focusing on something rather than just panning randomly. You can also sometimes use movement within the shot to lead the viewers eyes in that direction (e.g. following a person or a car moving in that direction)

That's it for now. Keep making videos :)

EDIT: One last thing: Sound! The microphone is sometimes positioned too far away from the subject and it sounds quite echoy. It would be better to have a tie clip mic or give the subject a mic to hold rather than using the one on the camera.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1927453:date=Apr 20 2012, 01:28 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Apr 20 2012, 01:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That must've been awkward when going past the TSA (the weird people)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When u said TSA i was thinking NS2 TSA lol. It finally clicked 4 minutes later.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    loved that vid. nice & brisk - didnt overstay its welcome.
    tight ending as well.

excellent.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Good to hear everything went well and nice video.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    Absolutely amazing guys, one of the most inspiring movies I have seen. Seeing people who want something so bad and going through the motion to climb to the top is just amazing.

Don't give up and keep aiming high, your dreams will come true, your almost there!
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    Awesome job! congratulations UWE good to hear everything went well

<!--quoteo(post=1927464:date=Apr 19 2012, 04:48 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 19 2012, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Hugh, I want to give you some feedback on your filming...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i know about filming quite a few things too (im studying actually) and i can say that i agree in most of the points he mentioned. however, there were mostly great shots and the final result is superb great editing. congratulations hugh!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927480:date=Apr 20 2012, 02:39 AM:name=Pekerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pekerman @ Apr 20 2012, 02:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i know about filming quite a few things too (im studying actually) and i can say that i agree in most of the points he mentioned. however, there were mostly great shots and the final result is superb great editing. congratulations hugh!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, the editing was really well done. I am a total perfectionist so I tend to always focus on things that can be done better. I hope I didn't come across too negative.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    ohh lol vn video :D
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Fabulous booth!

I know it was a little barebones but you made excellent use of the space and made it extremely inviting.
    People were walking over and playing your game constantly.

I only went Saturday but I kept swinging by the booth and you guys were so busy talking to everyone.
    i think i caught a glimpse of everyone ...all at different points of weariness and excitement.
    Some of you managing conversations with multiple people.

Did you guys rotate and take naps?
    (Me and my buddy ran into NS2HD in the food court ...and he claimed he was sneaking off for one)

Great great exposure guys.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1927469:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:58 AM:name=RiCexEaTeR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RiCexEaTeR @ Apr 20 2012, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When u said TSA i was thinking NS2 TSA lol. It finally clicked 4 minutes later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They changed their name to Trans System Federation (TSF) now because of those guys :P

<!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I was hoping the F would stand for Frontiersmen though :(<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited April 2012
    OMG

I want those NS2 T-Shirts, Especialy Max is wearing :D Dont wash it :D

Also Max mailed me to fix crashes, haleped me to how dump file and gonna be done in Build 206 he said.

GJ GUYS !
  • MakoMako Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107766Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927464:date=Apr 20 2012, 10:48 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 20 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Hugh, I want to give you some feedback on your filming....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some decent points there Wilson, I know Hugh is more of an 'in game camera man' and will appreciate your feedback. I too am just starting out with a bit of low budget video production and probably have similar kit to Mr NS2HD over there in San Fran. The focusing issues are probably due to it being a DSLR without auto focus on video.

Myself, I am using a Canon 550D (t2i in the U.S). It has <a href="http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki" target="_blank">Magic Lantern firmware</a> installed on the SD card which opens up a whole world of extra video features not available with the standard firmware (please, please get this if you havent already but spend some time learning its functions). Have been using a <a href="http://www.rodemic.com/mics/videomicpro" target="_blank">Rode Pro shotgun mic</a> but lapel mics are definately better for speech. Also worth noting is the <a href="http://www.b-hague.co.uk/hague_mini_motion_cam_steadicam_type_camcorder_stabilizer.htm" target="_blank">Hague MMC stabiliser</a> to take that natural bounce out when filming on the move or getting slow pans without a tripod.