Natural Selection 2 News Update - Alien Commander v2.0

Comments

• Dawsum BillDawsum Bill Join Date: 2012-04-16 Member: 150572Members
    Ive been lurking on these forums since the first ns and I finally registered just to say that this new alien commander update is awesome. I really like what alien commander play is evolving (har har) in too.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1926138:date=Apr 16 2012, 09:51 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Apr 16 2012, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current idea is that all of the alien abilities can be unlocked from hive given enough time. This allows one base play. What getting extra hives brings is: eggs, more energy and allowing more than one upgrade to be used at a time. Hope that clears it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So basically you either pick the security of one hive at the cost of extra time/map control, or you can expand and cover more of the map/res nodes, at the cost of security and the resources put into the second hive.
    Me likey.

Gorge sounds like it's a good direction so far, but I agree it needs more "combat" in its combat support role. Maturing hydras with more health and damage would be great.

Obviously we have to play the build before making judgements, but I do see a couple issues.
    -First, now it's possible for Marines and Aliens to both play on one tech point. Cool. However, marines still have the transportation advantage with phase gates. Are movement chamber teleporty upgrades planned?

-Second, let's say both marines and aliens choose to play on one tech point. Marines still have to spend res on all their upgrades, but it sounds like aliens will have to spend more time than team res. So what is the sink for all that res on the alien team? Yes, you'll probably spend more res repairing creep chains and harvesters, but it seems like it would build up faster than used.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very bold changes, and they sound like they're going in a very promising direction. I'm really excited to try them out.

While I agree that aliens have had the advantage overall, I've always felt that there's little aliens can do against an onslaught of arcs and GL/JP's once the marines get that far. With mature structures on the way, cyst abilities, ARC armor getting decreased and Onos stomp working on ARC's, I'm very optimistic about finally seeing some strong alien fortifications.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Next patch someone should boot up ns_junction and see how that plays with aliens not requiring additional techpoints now.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited April 2012
    I meant to ask earlier: are chambers still tied to Hive count? I know the tech now costs TRes and time to evolve, but do you need 3 Hives for all 6 chambers?
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    Can't wait to see the new direction in-game! Sounds very game-changing (for the better) and playing gorge should be even more interesting now (been playing it a lot lately and having a lot of fun with it, but hey you can never have too much :P)

And the doc answered the only question I had, regarding whether or not there will be a visual indication to marines in particular what maturity the structure is at (for those that didn't read it, the answer is yes... difference in color vibrancy, size, armor plating amount, etc. sound like the current general ideas for it).
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    This sounds pretty good, though a little bit of a change from the original "aliens and marines are becomming more similar". The 'old' alien comm was more similar to the Marine commander.

Though the new commander sounds much more exciting and fun to play. Much more interaction and a lot more decisions to be made.
    Cyst spikes sounds a little like direct damage though..
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1926157:date=Apr 16 2012, 10:11 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Apr 16 2012, 10:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I meant to ask earlier: are chambers still tied to Hive count? I know the tech now costs TRes and time to evolve, but do you need 3 Hives for all 6 chambers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1926138:date=Apr 16 2012, 09:51 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Apr 16 2012, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current idea is that all of the alien abilities can be unlocked from hive given enough time. This allows one base play. What getting extra hives brings is: eggs, more energy and allowing more than one upgrade to be used at a time. Hope that clears it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    =P
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Thanks Techercizer, but upgrade could mean # of lifeform evolutions (which is tied to hive count). I guess I'm confused whether Crag, Shade, or Shift will lock the Hive into a type, or evolve-able at a single Hive, one after the other.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    Sounds interesting.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sorry I don't want to re-rail this thread. so after this comment I'm walking away.

<!--quoteo(post=1926139:date=Apr 17 2012, 12:52 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Apr 17 2012, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be terrible if the comm could just drop buildings from the sky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats what makes the Marine command interface so smooth and just like every other RTS game.
    And I'd rather alien building grow out of infestation than drop from the sky. Like a gardener growing from seeds. Not planting a ready grown tree.

The alien commander has 3 layers to building
    Where the marines only have 2

1st Infestation. this is great mechanic and should be the only one needed just like marines power requirements.

2nd Drifter. Is this layer really nessesary. The Marines don't have this layer. Compare it to building a MAC each time I wanted to drop a building as marines. It's nothing but filler, silly micro and a res sink for the alien com.
    I've shown where i'm building to players by spreading infestation.

3rd Time to build. like the marines.
    <!--quoteo(post=1926166:date=Apr 16 2012, 10:22 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Apr 16 2012, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry I don't want to re-rail this thread. so after this comment I'm walking away.

Thats what makes the Marine command interface so smooth and just like every other RTS game.
    And I'd rather alien building grow out of infestation than drop from the sky. Like a gardener growing from seeds. Not planting a ready grown tree.

The alien commander has 3 layers to building
    Where the marines only have 2

1st Infestation. this is great mechanic and should be the only one needed just like marines power requirements.

2nd Drifter. Is this layer really nessesary. The Marines don't have this layer. Compare it to building a MAC each time I wanted to drop a building as marines. It's nothing but filler, silly micro and a res sink for the alien com.
    I've shown where i'm building to players by spreading infestation.

3rd Time to build. like the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2nd, builders. Marines either have to build MACs (a costly and risky endeavor at 5 tres each, not including Robo cost and build time, which eclipse that of a MAC), or send out Marines to stand around building their structures; Kharaa get their Drifters on the cheap straight from their well-fortified Hive at the very start of the game, and as such have no research/investment component they need to jump through to get a building down.

There's your missing tier.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1926147:date=Apr 17 2012, 02:58 AM:name=Unknown_Soldier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unknown_Soldier @ Apr 17 2012, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Gorge is spending enough resources on one mini-cyst to equal three normal cysts. That is not an efficient use of resources, especially when Gorges already have another inefficient resource sink in the Hydra.

Yes, I've seen some great hydra positioning at times; but it usually only works once, as players are typically smart enough to just avoid them or run by the next time around. Marines shouldn't be able to so easily ignore a batch of Hydras when you've invested enough resources into a location to match the cost of an Onos. Would you rather 7-8 Hydras, or an Onos?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As someone mentioned earlier, the Gorge res model will probably be changing, as well. What we are planning to do is not have his structures cost res, but he will have a limit of how many of a structure type he can build at one time. For example 3 hydras and 3 goo walls or something. Then he can "eat" his structures to replace them if he wants to move them. This could also allow us to possibly buff Hydras a bit more if there are going to be fewer of them. All of this is subject to change of course, but that is the current train of thought that we are on regarding the Gorge and his structures.

--Cory
  • MetalGarretMetalGarret Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138953Members
    Im still gonna say that the lerk's bile bomb at one hive is a big mistake. once the whole team lerks the games over for marines. unless something is done about it. that's the biggest problem with this proposal.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current idea is that all of the alien abilities can be unlocked from hive given enough time. This allows one base play. What getting extra hives brings is: eggs, more energy and allowing more than one upgrade to be used at a time. Hope that clears it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a great design decision because it increases game play possibilities while streamlining and simplifying the tech system. Kudos UWE. Keep it up.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As someone mentioned earlier, the Gorge res model will probably be changing, as well. What we are planning to do is not have his structures cost res, but he will have a limit of how many of a structure type he can build at one time. For example 3 hydras and 3 goo walls or something. Then he can "eat" his structures to replace them if he wants to move them. This could also allow us to possibly buff Hydras a bit more if there are going to be fewer of them. All of this is subject to change of course, but that is the current train of thought that we are on regarding the Gorge and his structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was having this exact same thought last night. Gorges shouldn't really be worrying about static defenses. The gameplay is to fast and the maps are to large. Instead, he should be working like a front line support engineer. When the commander can't get structures and support to the front line for whatever reason, the gorge fills this role temporarily by putting down infestation, putting up quick but useful defenses, and in general healing and sustaining his team through the conflict. Once the battle is over, all the static defenses he built should be devoured and he should move to the next conflict area. In order to do this though, his buildings would need limited while being buffed so they could survive longer then 10 seconds when a marine onslaught approaches. An example of this would be the Tribes 2 turrets and repair guns, and the Tribes Ascend Engineer class.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1926171:date=Apr 16 2012, 10:27 PM:name=MetalGarret)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MetalGarret @ Apr 16 2012, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im still gonna say that the lerk's bile bomb at one hive is a big mistake. once the whole team lerks the games over for marines. unless something is done about it. that's the biggest problem with this proposal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Armor 3, weapons 3, and Exosuits for everyone would be game over for Kharaa right now too, and all those come from one CC. As long as they balance its cost and the time it takes to get, there shouldn't be any issue.
  • MetalGarretMetalGarret Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926176:date=Apr 16 2012, 08:38 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Apr 16 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Armor 3, weapons 3, and Exosuits for everyone would be game over for Kharaa right now too, and all those come from one CC. As long as they balance its cost and the time it takes to get, there shouldn't be any issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe. I hope so.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Slightly off topic, but I have to say that I agree that drifters are unnecessary.

IMO the alien commander experience would feel a lot smoother if the build menu was globalized, so that you only had to press a single button to place cysts and at most two for other buildings. The buildings would then ripple through the infestation towards the intended location.

I touched on this subject and proposed a way to move the focus from micromanaging drifters towards micromanaging buildings in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116380" target="_blank">this thread</a> a few months back.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Slightly off topic, but I have to say that I agree that drifters are unnecessary.

IMO the alien commander experience would feel a lot smoother if the build menu was globalized, so that you only had to press a single button to place cysts and at most two for other buildings. The buildings would then ripple through the infestation towards the intended location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Second that. Drifters are only adding friction to the system.
  • AlterNickAlterNick Join Date: 2012-03-15 Member: 148830Members
    Sounds great, read the whole thing twice. Only one complaint.

I feel that when striving to achieve asymmetry, it makes little sense to move farther away from multiple hive dependent aliens. With aliens able to survive and upgrade with only one hive, what differentiates the commander experience and overall play-style from that of a marine? Considering the differing natures of marines and aliens, an expanding play-style for aliens, and a fortify one for marines would make more sense in my opinion. In addition, this single hive option for aliens certainly does not help with the balance issues. If anything, that particular feature worsens them!

I do love the other ideas though, and hope the changes help to make the alien experience unique.

I can't wait to see the gorge become a much more important player to have on a team as well!
  • jepojepo Join Date: 2012-04-15 Member: 150473Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926185:date=Apr 16 2012, 07:51 PM:name=Agiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Agiel @ Apr 16 2012, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Slightly off topic, but I have to say that I agree that drifters are unnecessary.

IMO the alien commander experience would feel a lot smoother if the build menu was globalized, so that you only had to press a single button to place cysts and at most two for other buildings. The buildings would then ripple through the infestation towards the intended location.

I touched on this subject and proposed a way to move the focus from micromanaging drifters towards micromanaging buildings in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116380" target="_blank">this thread</a> a few months back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Love it!

Additional idea: What if life forms matured in the same way as buildings? JNot as extreme an effect, but motivation for aliens to not just rush in waves but get away and regen. As they get older they move from -10% to +10% power.

If you've seen the episode 'scar' of BSG then you'll know what I mean.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Drifters add balance in allowing the marines to deny buildings from starting. Killing drifters is an important part of competitive play.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926197:date=Apr 17 2012, 12:03 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Apr 17 2012, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drifters add balance in allowing the marines to deny buildings from starting. Killing drifters is an important part of competitive play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How do you deny marines starting a building? Cysts?
    <!--quoteo(post=1926198:date=Apr 16 2012, 11:06 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 16 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you deny marines starting a building? Cysts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Teeth ^.^

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->also cysts<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1926197:date=Apr 17 2012, 06:03 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Apr 17 2012, 06:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drifters add balance in allowing the marines to deny buildings from starting. Killing drifters is an important part of competitive play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cysts already fill this role. Their cost and HP could probably be tweaked to make them even more important.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited April 2012
    These changes..

LOOK F*****G SWEEEEEET

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9KGQafNORw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9KGQafNORw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • promanowpromanow Join Date: 2011-08-12 Member: 116037Members
    Wow I really like these changes, can't wait to test them. Might actually <b>want</b> to be a comm (always avoided that, because alien comm was kinda boring) - seems like no more!

Also, the changes really differentiate marine vs alien comm experience.

I love you guys.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Looking forwards to trying this out. :D
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This sounds really awesome. I love the asymetrical duality in this game, and this further extends that into new territory and I LOVE it.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1926198:date=Apr 17 2012, 12:06 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 17 2012, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you deny marines starting a building? Cysts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cysting up areas to deny phase gates or forward armies happens quite a lot in competitive play.

Or you can simply kill the marine to stop the building production. Alien buildings build automatically. Killing the drifter is the easiest way to stop an alien building, otherwise it takes many factors more effort to kill a building once it goes up.