Australia Pure-NS2

Comments

• WackOhWackOh Join Date: 2004-07-25 Member: 30100Members
    man so theres like 3 aussie servers i see on the list now and no one has been playing in the last few hours =[
  • ReZReZ Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9684Members
    This is a sad day :(

Thanks for all your effort endar. It's been appreciated.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Aw, you were always a willing guinea-pig for my programming-exploits, a great loss indeed. Why the shutdown? Is it because of the monehz? I bet you're not telling cause you think people would break their piggy-bank to donate. And you would be right.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Thanks Endar for keeping the servers alive for as long as you have :)

it is sad in that I guess I won't be spending so much time on ns2 anymore...

but maybe a blessing in disguise so i can focus on my work/studies lol
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    by the way, anyone know what's going on with AusNS? I know that site turned into a massive troll and spam fest towards the end (aided by bots and the likes of snowblind and myself) but I haven't seen any mention of it for months now.

I wouldn't mind getting hosting a web server and put up some forums as a temp home for all the old wans and ausns players out there. My time is very limited at the moment so
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I would absolutely contribute $ to an Aus Beta server - We just need to find a provider who understands the requirements of NS2 in beta and can provide a server with the oomph.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Oh wow, this is really sad for the australian ns2 community, I hope you guys figure out something!
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OH GOD NO!

Seriously they were the only servers australians ever play now we have to stick with IPGN :(
    I would easily donate 50 bucks to keep it up or more if that would keep it going :)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • OrdeaLOrdeaL Join Date: 2011-08-09 Member: 115110Members
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thank you for supplying the community with quality servers for so long. Your servers were always a pleasure to play on, even from the UK!
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    Ouch I think I just felt kidneys erupt
  • MakoMako Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107766Members
    I have visitors down for 4 days, cant play NS and look what happens. Endar! I didnt realise the fate of the Aussie community depended on my continous spamming of your EPIC servers, this could have been better communicated and I apologise to all fans of Aus Pure for letting you down.

In all seriousness you dont realise what a good thing you have till its gone, we were very VERY lucky to have you around to take us in. I saw you as a sort of digital father figure Endar (too much?) and Aus pure was my digital home from home. Im going to go play World of Warcraft now.

The Australian NS community is tight, we will have something up pretty soon (not as good as Aus Pure maybe?) through joint efforts.

Group hug, cmon!
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1921090:date=Apr 3 2012, 09:42 AM:name=Mako)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mako @ Apr 3 2012, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Australian NS community is tight, we will have something up pretty soon (not as good as Aus Pure maybe?) through joint efforts.

Group hug, cmon!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we get enough contributors, we may be able either rent a dedicated server, or get a GSP (e.g. CloudCube) to host a special server for us.

I've made a google docs spreadsheet for keeping track of this: <a href="http://goo.gl/KLb11" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/KLb11</a>
    Feel free to edit it and add your own details if interested.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    Thank you for contributing your server for as long as you did. Was one of the great ones around and always full (which funnily enough lead to its demise).

All the best.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921180:date=Apr 3 2012, 01:13 PM:name=ceribik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ceribik @ Apr 3 2012, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we get enough contributors, we may be able either rent a dedicated server, or get a GSP (e.g. CloudCube) to host a special server for us.

I've made a google docs spreadsheet for keeping track of this: <a href="http://goo.gl/KLb11" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/KLb11</a>
    Feel free to edit it and add your own details if interested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure rental companies are going to be willing to provide the extremely overclocked boxes that ns2 currently needs for any decent player size. I'm sure UWE is aware of this already though... Server optimisation is currently the biggest chokepoint preventing mainstream server rental, which is for the most part our cheapest option in aus because of the high bandwidth costs.

So yea, i think it'd be pretty awesome if the aus community ended up pooling together for a server but just wanted to let people be aware of the cpu limitations before putting their money down.
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    Im not sure why we are all suggesting Overclocked boxs? my stock 2500k runs a server perfectly fine, you need to have atleast this but more importantly a decent upload connection.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    I've rented a Hypernia one for now

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117539" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117539</a>
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921196:date=Apr 3 2012, 01:51 PM:name=Drakennz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drakennz @ Apr 3 2012, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im not sure why we are all suggesting Overclocked boxs? my stock 2500k runs a server perfectly fine, you need to have atleast this but more importantly a decent upload connection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1920807:date=Apr 2 2012, 05:09 PM:name=Drakennz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drakennz @ Apr 2 2012, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i will be hosting a server in New Zealand (not too far across the ditch) very soon, <i><b>currently it begins to run a little strange when more than 10 or so people join </b></i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be why. 10 isn't even enough to have a balanced match, though it's nice that you're trying :)
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    I do not think this is the reason, it is due to upload speed. The server runs perfect with 10+ the problem is with Ping/Latency which is a result of my small upload link, i doubt my CPU is the cause at all.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921211:date=Apr 3 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Drakennz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drakennz @ Apr 3 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do not think this is the reason, it is due to upload speed. The server runs perfect with 10+ the problem is with Ping/Latency which is a result of my small upload link, i doubt my CPU is the cause at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps, I've yet to try it out. Will do tonight.
    I have a server up right now :D

Just need players to see how good the performance is.
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921194:date=Apr 3 2012, 01:49 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Apr 3 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could be wrong, but I'm not sure rental companies are going to be willing to provide the extremely overclocked boxes that ns2 currently needs for any decent player size. I'm sure UWE is aware of this already though... Server optimisation is currently the biggest chokepoint preventing mainstream server rental, which is for the most part our cheapest option in aus because of the high bandwidth costs.

So yea, i think it'd be pretty awesome if the aus community ended up pooling together for a server but just wanted to let people be aware of the cpu limitations before putting their money down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know a few of the people that work at one particular place (CloudCube), and so depending on how much $$ we have, I'm fairly sure it's reasonably possible. We'll see what happens.. (e.g. with Kabab's server)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Wow, so ends NS2 for down under.
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    US-EU SERVERS PREPARE FOR HIGH PING AUSSIE INVADERS :|
    Are you people blind :) I've put up another Australian server <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117539" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117539</a>
    edited April 2012
    Why would you write:
    <!--quoteo(post=1921260:date=Apr 3 2012, 04:23 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Apr 3 2012, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you people blind :) I've put up another Australian server <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117539" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117539</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

After in the other thread you've already realised this:

<!--quoteo(post=1921238:date=Apr 3 2012, 03:03 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Apr 3 2012, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well it seems they only have either dual E5530's or dual E5645's at hypernia where i rented the server from...

It doesn't seem like enough grunt for NS2 :(

Server code needs more optimisation!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure I remember a Hypernia server being up for some time last year before it was taken down due to poor performance.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    For any of the Aussies looking in to dedicated servers, here's what I've found so far.

Hosting a 12-18 slot server:
    <ul><li>You need a top end CPU. Older xeon's won't cut it, you probably need something above 3GH. Anything less than that and the server tick rate will crumple and you'll get that elastic-banding effect when walking around. The Aus Pure servers were overclocked 2600, for example.</li><li>Home internet connections probably won't cut it. It looks like you'll need at least 3-5 MB/s Upload per server instance.</li><li>A successful server will use 500GB+/month each way.</li></ul>

Getting the server hardware is easy enough (once off cost ~$800) but finding a place to plug it in is the problem. Conversely, renting a server from a hosting company, it's hard to find a host with enough CPU grunt and they are ~$300/month anyway.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    edited April 2012
    I know I'm a bit late to the thread but I'd just like say thankyou, endar. I wouldn't be able to enjoy this game as much as I have without your contribution. 95% of my game time was on your servers. They will be missed.

Also;

<!--quoteo(post=1920900:date=Apr 2 2012, 09:25 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Apr 2 2012, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->by the way, anyone know what's going on with AusNS? I know that site turned into a massive troll and spam fest towards the end (aided by bots and the likes of snowblind and myself) but I haven't seen any mention of it for months now.

I wouldn't mind getting hosting a web server and put up some forums as a temp home for all the old wans and ausns players out there. My time is very limited at the moment so<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be interested in that, though I do not have much to contribute other than my presence.