Give my welder a boost in popularity (v_v)

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
At current beta stage the armory allows the marines to fully regain streanght, both hp and armor. Meaning the welder is less attractive to players and uses the most of the time welding structors. Usually what commander does is to drop an armory close to the enemy hive so marines can spam reganing full healt.

Having the armory only heal healt and not the armor, gives another good reasons to use welders :) Just like good old NS1 days :)

PS: welders must be drop when dying or it will be to hard to maintain welders for the marines...

Comments

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2012
    Armory in room with base should heal both health/armor, forward armories shouldn't, unless it is advanced. Once welders become better and easier, dropping on death like you said and just being able to use it easier would be nice because right now it is difficult to damn weld anybody.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    I like it the way it is right now.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Lutjens:

Sounds good as well.

It would be important to remove the switch-delay when welders are the only chance to get armor back. Takes too much time to begin welding right now..
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I prefer the Welder in combat against Aliens. He does the same DMG as the axe against lifeforms but has a higher RoF ( 0.45s compared to 0.6s).
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    just no -

welders work fine

marines allready are the only side that has to build / weld/ welders cost res armories cost the com/ team res

it IS ballenced
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    We only need the "close vents and doors" mechanic :)
    then the "welder" will be more activ!
  • Gorge CostanzaGorge Costanza Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148861Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1918249:date=Mar 26 2012, 12:45 PM:name=BuzterOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BuzterOne @ Mar 26 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We only need the "close vents and doors" mechanic :)
    then the "welder" will be more activ!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, give welding some points and you'd see it purchased more often.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Welder has a much shorter range though?
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    You can still weld players' armor right now in any situation where you could after this change.
    The difference would be that marines lose out on extremely important early game (i.e. before welders) combat viability.

Why not just tell your teammates to weld each other a bit more instead of crowding around armories and making themselves easy targets? Not everything needs to be a design change.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918211:date=Mar 26 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ Mar 26 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Armory in room with base should heal both health/armor, forward armories shouldn't, unless it is advanced. Once welders become better and easier, dropping on death like you said and just being able to use it easier would be nice because right now it is difficult to damn weld anybody.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    And add weldable vents and doors tbh. For some reason that reminds me of that NS map with the HUGE elevator at the marine spawn, god I miss that map.
    <!--quoteo(post=1918312:date=Mar 26 2012, 07:19 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Mar 26 2012, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1
    And add weldable vents and doors tbh. For some reason that reminds me of that NS map with the HUGE elevator at the marine spawn, god I miss that map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hera I think? Damn fine map.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918248:date=Mar 26 2012, 09:44 PM:name=NecropsY)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NecropsY @ Mar 26 2012, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just no -

welders work fine

marines allready are the only side that has to build / weld/ welders cost res armories cost the com/ team res

it IS ballenced<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Based on your answer you dont play much NS2. No one is buying welders anymore because macs those the repair ability, thats why we must have the new suggested changes which i mentioned
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918334:date=Mar 26 2012, 05:07 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Mar 26 2012, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Based on your answer you dont play much NS2. No one is buying welders anymore because macs those the repair ability, thats why we must have the new suggested changes which i mentioned<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are you talking about? Tons of people buy welders to keep rt's and structures repaired. Not everyone goes early robo. Any time silly suicide skulks bum rush the com chair, it forces welder research. I've never seen someone respond to that by getting early robo.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918392:date=Mar 27 2012, 02:10 AM:name=mechanicalDR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mechanicalDR @ Mar 27 2012, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are you talking about? Tons of people buy welders to keep rt's and structures repaired. Not everyone goes early robo. Any time silly suicide skulks bum rush the com chair, it forces welder research. I've never seen someone respond to that by getting early robo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easy for you to say who's been a member of this community for seven days. But for me who started to play since the first alpha test, I've seen all types of situations. Based on experince both from ns1 and ns2 is the solution i wrote on my first post in this topic. So don't tell how a old man should walk...

No offence, I'm a littlebit too sensitive today :) lol .... xox
    MACs were in the game before welders, and they're worse than welders in a lot of cases. I personally use the welder a lot. If players don't use it a lot over all, it could be because the game is young and many people don't know everything about it yet. If it's the same in 2 months I'll eat my words.
    <!--quoteo(post=1918404:date=Mar 26 2012, 06:40 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Mar 26 2012, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easy for you to say who's been a member of this community for seven days. But for me who started to play since the first alpha test, I've seen all types of situations. Based on experince both from ns1 and ns2 is the solution i wrote on my first post in this topic. So don't tell how a old man should walk...

No offence, I'm a littlebit too sensitive today :) lol .... xox<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So try not to be offensive? I've played plenty of NS1 , have my E-Penis black armor and have been playing far too much NS2 into the early hours of the morning lately. I don't feel like its a problem currently. I see plenty of welders. Your accusing people of not actually playing the game. Not a very good way to discuss things in a friendly manner.
    <!--quoteo(post=1918407:date=Mar 26 2012, 06:57 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 26 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MACs were in the game before welders, and they're worse than welders in a lot of cases. I personally use the welder a lot. If players don't use it a lot over all, it could be because the game is young and many people don't know everything about it yet. If it's the same in 2 months I'll eat my words.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Expense. Any time I com, I'll build mac's only if I float res. Most of the time I see com's preferring arc over mac. Especially early game where robotics fact was a risky move compared to just getting upgrades. With the cost reductions, I'd still rather go early proto than robo.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    +1 to the OP.
    However, I would like to see advanced armories give armor back.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited March 2012
    Bad idea imo, unless marines can weld themselves with the welder they are carrying. There is already a problem with it taking too long to get armour back.

Example: If marines start in DC on summit and I move down to reactor and then atrium building RTs, if I get bit once I then need to run all the way back to the base. If I don't heal my armour up then it'll only take 2 bites to kill me, quite easy for a decent skulk. Welders aren't out at the start of the game and even when they are you never see people on public servers welding each other.

The only option I have is to run back to base and then let the skulks chomp the RT in atrium for a while until me or one of my team mates gets back there. Or the com can choose to drop an armoury down there but it's pretty impractical, if the marines die then it'll go down easily and it's a big waste of res when important upgrades are needed. It also causes this bad play style of camping the one area that has an armoury and never moving forward because you won't be able to heal in time for the next alien attack.

Even when you didn't need a welder you had to ask over and over for people to weld you.

Contrast that with the aliens, they can easily get back to the hive and heal both health and armour quickly before the marines have time to do much damage. They also have regen and gorges can spam a fast healing spray at a group of aliens. As an alien I never really find myself low on hp for long.

There definitely needs to be a better way for marines to repair their armour on the fly so that they can continue to push around the map. Perhaps meds should give some armour back as well, or allow the com to drop a fresh suit of armour for marines for a few res.

Making armouries only heal health would just make the game even more unbalanced towards aliens. If your getting attacked in the base you wouldn't even be able to get back to 3 bites for you to die unless guys were constantly welding you.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918525:date=Mar 27 2012, 02:31 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Mar 27 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 to the OP.
    However, I would like to see advanced armories give armor back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This!
    I'm all for: Only advanced armory gives armor back. It's a beta. Lets try it.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1918536:date=Mar 27 2012, 03:05 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Mar 27 2012, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bad idea imo, unless marines can weld themselves with the welder they are carrying. There is already a problem with it taking too long to get armour back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You weld a marines armor almost instantly with the welder.
    Slow welding was a problem before the welder was implemented, not anymore.
    Normally they are carrying a builder tool, which is not to be confused with the welder.
    But due to previous implementation, I can see why you confuse them.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited March 2012
    I don't mean welding time. I mean the time from me taking damage until I can get healed, be it via a team mate coming with a welder or running to an armoury.

I just think that this would force marines to get early welders every game or else they wouldn't be able to push out.
  • sad. Clownsad. Clown Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147407Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918250:date=Mar 26 2012, 01:46 PM:name=Gorge Costanza)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorge Costanza @ Mar 26 2012, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, give welding some points and you'd see it purchased more often.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This 1000 times. If there was some sort of system implemented where players would get points for welding, it'd be much more popular to weld, and people would be more likely to pay attention to building health. Maybe something like .5 points for every 10% repaired? Something similar to assists in TF2.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Just wait for the exo, you will see welder support alot more.

Exo holding the line with mini guns and a medpack spam while a marine behind him welds and lobs nades
    <!--quoteo(post=1918580:date=Mar 27 2012, 04:55 PM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Mar 27 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just wait for the exo, you will see welder support alot more.

Exo holding the line with mini guns and a medpack spam while a marine behind him welds and lobs nades<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, indeed, just wait for the exo.
    Then it will be even more obvious that armories should <b>not</b> give back armor.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welders will probably play a bigger role when the marine heavy armor suits are released.

Heavy armor = slow to walk, making it more bothersome to get to an armory to heal + will most likely have ton of armor that will need to be welded after an attack.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    two problems with welding players:
    a) requesting it needs game implementation akin to structure welding notifications.
    b) players move too much!! or welder doesn't reach very far.
  • Gorge CostanzaGorge Costanza Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148861Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1918725:date=Mar 27 2012, 12:45 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 27 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->two problems with welding players:
    a) requesting it needs game implementation akin to structure welding notifications.
    b) players move too much!! or welder doesn't reach very far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I definitely agree with (b). Unless they totally stand still, it's really difficult to weld someone.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918592:date=Mar 27 2012, 05:13 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Mar 27 2012, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, indeed, just wait for the exo.
    Then it will be even more obvious that armories should <b>not</b> give back armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jup even more when the ppl find out that the exo can't use PGs.

<!--quoteo(post=1918725:date=Mar 27 2012, 09:45 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 27 2012, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->two problems with welding players:
    a) requesting it needs game implementation akin to structure welding notifications.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You want something, that is already in the game, as soon as you wear a welder, you will get notifications about marines, sturctures and even the marinecom if he spectates you.