Diablo III Launch Date

123457»

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    The thing is, it does seem like there's an epidemic of lost accounts. I'd ask Blizzard how many accounts have been compromised since launch to settle the debate, but I don't think I would get an answer. So all I have to go on is hearsay, and hearsay says "people be losin' they accounts, yo." So why Diablo 3? Why isn't everyone losing their Steam accounts if they have keyloggers on all their computers?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939914:date=May 29 2012, 08:10 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ May 29 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting indeed but I still don't get how armor works with physical resist. If I have 50% damage reduction from armor, it's for all sources according to video but what if I have 50% physical resist as well? Will I get 100% damage reduction for physical attacks then or what? I can't imagine that being the case but still. I also didn't know dodge actually worked on puddles and whatnot, I can't recall a single time it has said dodge when I've run over fire behind an elite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    According to <a href="http://www.clicktoloot.com/p/combat.html#damagereduction" target="_blank">this article</a> (a lengthy read, but very detailed), all damage reduction sources are multiplicative, not additive. In this case, you would have 75% damage reduction.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939993:date=May 30 2012, 12:02 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 30 2012, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing is, it does seem like there's an epidemic of lost accounts. I'd ask Blizzard how many accounts have been compromised since launch to settle the debate, but I don't think I would get an answer. So all I have to go on is hearsay, and hearsay says "people be losin' they accounts, yo." So why Diablo 3? Why isn't everyone losing their Steam accounts if they have keyloggers on all their computers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because there is no money in Steam accounts. All the MMOs or other mulitplayer games on steam aren't worth hacking, since you're not making your money's worth. Blizzard accounts on the other hand are quite lucrative.

Also, in my time we had about 2500 compromised accounts per day in Europe alone. Add the 4000 from the US and china, korea had similiar stats, so there you go, about 10000 a day, if not more. And a new release always has higher numbers than on a normal day.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1940021:date=May 30 2012, 02:08 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ May 30 2012, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->According to <a href="http://www.clicktoloot.com/p/combat.html#damagereduction" target="_blank">this article</a> (a lengthy read, but very detailed), all damage reduction sources are multiplicative, not additive. In this case, you would have 75% damage reduction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alright, thanks.

I just met a hilarious elite mob on inferno. It was a mortar, waller, extra health, vortex and illusion type as a zombie. So they basically walled me in with them, shot bombs over my head on nothing and kept me near them from their own bombs with vortex. All while their illusions clump around me inside the walls as my pillars detonate 20 of them each time I use it. Splort splort splort.

P.S. Enrage is bull######. I'm already forced to kite like a moron but now I have to do it fast as well or just automatically die to face the group fully healed again? That just ain't right.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1939914:date=May 30 2012, 02:10 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ May 30 2012, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting indeed but I still don't get how armor works with physical resist. If I have 50% damage reduction from armor, it's for all sources according to video but what if I have 50% physical resist as well? Will I get 100% damage reduction for physical attacks then or what? I can't imagine that being the case but still. I also didn't know dodge actually worked on puddles and whatnot, I can't recall a single time it has said dodge when I've run over fire behind an elite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I understand it, physical resistance lowers the damage that has already passed through the armor.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939993:date=May 30 2012, 07:02 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 30 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing is, it does seem like there's an epidemic of lost accounts. I'd ask Blizzard how many accounts have been compromised since launch to settle the debate, but I don't think I would get an answer. So all I have to go on is hearsay, and hearsay says "people be losin' they accounts, yo." So why Diablo 3? Why isn't everyone losing their Steam accounts if they have keyloggers on all their computers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because a steam account is fairly useless? It's not like you can sell off the games piece meal, and you aren't going to be keeping it for very long anyway (or at least I assume that valve either reverts the accounts to the proper owner, or just bans them). There is simply no profit in it.

DIII Gold has a real world value (quick Google says something like $8 for 300K). On top of that, these people have been compromising BNet accounts for ages now, with the exact same goal (nick the gold, sell it for real world money). DIII has similar trappings as an MMO. Lots of people playing, huge time investments for progression, large virtual currency sinks, etc. It's just the gold sellers getting into a new game. Why are they compromising so damn many accounts? Because it's a new game, they don't have any gold to sell so they need to steal it first. Also, with all the new players, and people rushing for the end, there is a large customer base, just like at the start of wow expacs (Blizz has said that there are a similar number of reported compromises as there were with the release of cata).

Also, Blizz has said that all the accounts have been compromised in regular ways (aka, some one logged into the account), which means phishing, key loggers, compromised web sites.

I mean, if you really think that blizz had their servers compromised, there isn't much to be said about that.

<!--quoteo(post=1940030:date=May 30 2012, 09:41 AM:name=Tykjen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tykjen @ May 30 2012, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I understand it, physical resistance lowers the damage that has already passed through the armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Doesn't really matter which one is applied first, use this hypothetical:
    50% reduction from armor and 25% reduction from resist on 100 damage.
    Apply the armor first:
    100 X (1 - .5) = 50 X (1 - .25) = 37.5
    Apply Resist first:
    100 X (1 - .25) = 75 X (1 - .5) = 37.5

Which is the same as saying (stolen from the article):
    Total damage reduction = 1 - ((1 - DR from Armor) × (1 - DR from Resistance) × (1 - other DR))
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    In other news they nerfed monk again, regarding an ability that hardly worked as it was in the first place.

Monk
    Active Skills
    Serenity
    Skill Rune - Tranquility
    Duration of immunity granted to nearby allies from crowd control effects reduced from 2 seconds to 1 second

Then there's this:

Mantra of Healing (tooltips will be updated in a later patch)
    In addition to increasing Life regeneration for you and nearby allies while active, Mantra of Healing will now also shroud you and nearby allies with a mystical shield that absorbs damage for 3 seconds after activiation (up to a limited amount, based on level)
    Skill Rune - Boon of Protection
    Boon of Protection has been renamed Boon of Inspiration
    Mantra of Healing will now heal you when dealing damage to an enemy (heal amount will be based on hero level)

It seems they merged unruned MoH with BoP and added BoI as a new rune. Neat, if the protective shroud is anything like it was.

Complete list:
    <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6020042/Patch_102_Now_Live-5_29_2012" target="_blank">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6020042/Pa..._Live-5_29_2012</a>
    edited May 2012
    Well, lets say a 10000 life monk activates the new BOI that's 930 life.
    If he did the same with the old BOP, he'd gotten 1500 life... now, usually at 60 you have more like 20-50k life. So the new one stays at 930, the old one would've easily scaled to 3000-7500.

I quit my monk. I'm changing to Wiz so I can farm inferno already.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940099:date=May 30 2012, 07:05 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ May 30 2012, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, lets say a 10000 life monk activates the new BOI that's 930 life.
    If he did the same with the old BOP, he'd gotten 1500 life... now, usually at 60 you have more like 20-50k life. So the new one stays at 930, the old one would've easily scaled to 3000-7500.

I quit my monk. I'm changing to Wiz so I can farm inferno already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's going pretty well for me as monk @ Inferno, I just fought the butcher but I was unaware it was a timed event and after that time it just burns all the floors simultaneously leaving you dead within seconds. Then I got "servers are down, you are disconnected" with 5 stacks of nephalem valor. Woop.

I got myself a spirit regen of 9 and a 500ish weapon damage (not dps) 2 handed Daibo. Things are going so much better with over 9000 dps than with one handed claws.

I'm pretty sure any other class fares much much better though with similar gear.
    I'm at 11000 dps, 60% res and over 600 lph, but I do pretty crappy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1940158:date=May 30 2012, 09:22 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ May 30 2012, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm at 11000 dps, 60% res and over 600 lph, but I do pretty crappy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Strange, but I must say it goes to ###### if I play with someone else. It only goes so-so while soloing.

<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aejQcg!YcU!ZccZZY" target="_blank">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk...;YcU!ZccZZY</a>

I basically run out of danger with Tempest rush which is great since it goes through enemies while waiting for serenity to cooldown and then slapping 1-2 pillars before it wears off while potshotting occasionally if the elite type allows it. Earth ally is great as it does 60% damage, adds 10% life and always keeps one of the elite mobs off me as I've said before, and can be respawned infinitely for very little. My recent change was going from FoT quickening to the extra 15% dodge instead, now that I have pretty high spirit regen. I regret saying tempest rush was useless, it's great for getting away and can be used for extended periods with high regen. Compare it to dash which leaves you no real option between immediate danger and 0.2 seconds before imminent danger.

I'm getting killed more by the rubberbanding than anything else, even with 100ms everything goes back and forth as soon as I try to flee from a large elite group with tempest rush. It seems that the more objects, of any kind like mortar fire, illusions, puddles etc, present on the screen and the faster you try to move the more rubberbanding you will get. It's quite frustrating to die mostly thanks to a DRM feature and this is while SOLOING.
    <!--quoteo(post=1940034:date=May 30 2012, 03:48 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ May 30 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean, if you really think that blizz had their servers compromised, there isn't much to be said about that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am not making that allegation. However, dismissing it out of hand is ignoring facts. SOE had their servers compromised and data stolen, and though my memory is hazy at this time of night I could swear it happened to several other companies as well. And in some cases they were not exactly forthcoming with admitting, for understandable if still questionable reasons.

So I'm not saying their servers were compromised. But you can't say that's ridiculous, either.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940169:date=May 30 2012, 04:43 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ May 30 2012, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm getting killed more by the rubberbanding than anything else, even with 100ms everything goes back and forth as soon as I try to flee from a large elite group with tempest rush. It seems that the more objects, of any kind like mortar fire, illusions, puddles etc, present on the screen and the faster you try to move the more rubberbanding you will get. It's quite frustrating to die mostly thanks to a DRM feature and this is while SOLOING.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seriously, ugh. I've only had a couple deaths due to this, but it does drive me up the wall.

<!--quoteo(post=1940235:date=May 30 2012, 06:59 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 30 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am not making that allegation. However, dismissing it out of hand is ignoring facts. SOE had their servers compromised and data stolen, and though my memory is hazy at this time of night I could swear it happened to several other companies as well. And in some cases they were not exactly forthcoming with admitting, for understandable if still questionable reasons.

So I'm not saying their servers were compromised. But you can't say that's ridiculous, either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not dismissing it out of hand, I gave my reasoning for why I think it's not likely a security breach on their end. (Short version: It's more harmful to lie about it then it is to come out with the facts)

<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5593230785?page=8#146" target="_blank">This</a> and <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5593230785?page=8#154" target="_blank">This</a> basically. If they were compromised, it would be better for them to announce it.
    edited June 2012
    <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012#blog" target="_blank">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Pa...w-6_6_2012#blog</a>

Woo! I guess.

I also found out that the monk passive that increases resists to the highest resist value DOES benefit from having items with All resist AND your chosen stacked resist in the same item. I was pretty sure I had tried that theory earlier on but apparently I read it wrong or something. Not that it matters much in the end, all "All resist" items with more than 2 beneficial stats start at one mil gold.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I wish any of that made me want to play D3 again...
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1941864:date=Jun 6 2012, 11:54 AM:name=Monkfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkfish @ Jun 6 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish any of that made me want to play D3 again...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel the same way.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941860:date=Jun 7 2012, 02:06 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jun 7 2012, 02:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012#blog" target="_blank">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Pa...w-6_6_2012#blog</a>

Woo! I guess.

I also found out that the monk passive that increases resists to the highest resist value DOES benefit from having items with All resist AND your chosen stacked resist in the same item. I was pretty sure I had tried that theory earlier on but apparently I read it wrong or something. Not that it matters much in the end, all "All resist" items with more than 2 beneficial stats start at one mil gold.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1 mil? o.0 wow you must have looked at a really unlucky time :o. I've found alot of really good pieces for less than 500!

Also, just something else that might be helpful i only just discovered. Intel and strength on your monk arn't always useless stats. Do (intel + strength + armour)/10 to get an equivalent of +all resist. +Intel stacks with one with everything, +strength works with deadlyreach +50% armour rune. So like something with <b>+dex/vit +100intel +150armour +40resist</b> is better than <b>+dex/vit +60resist</b>
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1941953:date=Jun 6 2012, 10:20 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jun 6 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've found alot of really good pieces for less than 500!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

500 or 500,000? -.-
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1942014:date=Jun 7 2012, 10:55 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Jun 7 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->500 or 500,000? -.-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh oops 500k lol. But theres always some good bargains on 1d11h items!
    <a href="http://diablo3blog.blogspot.se/" target="_blank">http://diablo3blog.blogspot.se/</a>

New patch! Monks further nerfed into the ground. At least they can use more types of weapons now and hopefully the legendary fist weapons will be better.

"Mantra of Retribution
    Damage will now cap based on the maximum Life of the target"

I don't get this, does it mean it will AT MOST reflect 100% HP of the enemy hitting me or what? It would seem obvious it shouldn't reflect damage once the target is dead.
    More than likely it's a change like the Wizard diamonds skin reflect rune, and the dmg reflected caps at your life.
  • ambermollersambermollers Join Date: 2012-06-20 Member: 153493Members
    edited January 2013
    I waited for years or diablo 3 to come out, and I finished it in 6 hours. haha:) oh well, love the game!:)

The final word Solution For <a href="http://termlifeinsurancemales.com/life-insurance-company-reviews/the-most-honest-farmers-life-insurance-review-ever-written/" target="_blank">farmer s life insurance</a> & <a href="http://termlifeinsurancemales.com/life-insurance-with-health-risks/life-insurance-for-people-with-diabetes/" target="_blank">insurance for people with diabetes</a> That You Might Understand Right away
    You should've filmed that and uploaded it to youtube or something. The official first clear was over twelve hours, you would easily have beaten that.
    They should have renamed the difficulties to something like:

Normal = For the one armed and onefingered
    Nightmare = Normal
    Hell = Hard(er)
    Inferno = I hope you like farming and frequently visit our (RM)AH© to avoid kiting elite enemies for 10min just to get them enraged in the end.
    <!--quoteo(post=1945539:date=Jun 21 2012, 09:36 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jun 21 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should have renamed the difficulties to something like:

Normal = For the one armed and onefingered
    Nightmare = Normal
    Hell = Hard(er)
    Inferno = I hope you like farming and frequently visit our (RM)AH© to avoid kiting elite enemies for 10min just to get them enraged in the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately with patch 1.03 it is now

Inferno = wait, did i accidently pick hell difficulty?

Monks are now Gods. All you need is decent life on hit and its quite literally a walk in the park. A very slow walk with IAS nerf, but easy nonetheless.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Is that a bot quoting part of one of my old posts or something? :o
    <!--quoteo(post=1948700:date=Jul 3 2012, 04:32 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Jul 3 2012, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that a bot quoting part of one of my old posts or something? :o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was wondering wth was up with the random new person putting in a perfectly good (though slightly odd) post to only this thread :P
    edited July 2012
    It may be a spambot setting up credibility so it can make <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119266&hl=" target="_blank">this kind of thread.</a> Had me fooled at first. Looked at the thread, "hmm, suspicious," looked at post history, "odd, three perfectly good posts," came back to this thread and started to connect the dots.

I'll admit that despite my disgust for spambots, I am impressed with the level of sophistication they're beginning to attain.

Edit: Yep, that's what it's doing. In <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119088&st=100&p=1948757&#entry1948757" target="_blank">this thread</a> it's quoting <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119088&st=0&p=1945558&#entry1945558" target="_blank">this post,</a> and <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104340&st=160&p=1948756&#entry1948756" target="_blank">here</a> it's quoting <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104340&st=0&p=1680038&#entry1680038" target="_blank">this.</a> It takes a post or part of a post from the first page and reposts it. Does this a few times to establish itself as a "normal user," then proceeds with the spampost. Clever.
    I suspect that they aren't actually bots, it's likely cheaper to pay some one to do this than it would be to develop/buy a program that good.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Possibly, but once you've developed it you can just reuse it infinitely for practically nothing.