[199] Mouse aiming delay

Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Posts: 897Members
any way to reduce it?
when i'm moving my mouse, there is a delay before my view is turning on the screen. for me, this adds a significant difficulty to aiming.
are there any ways e.g. settings to reduce this? what does it depend on?

Comments

• SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Posts: 656Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This might be machine/settings specific. Personally I don't have noticable mouse delay. Is it significantly lagging behind for you? Vsync might be the culprit, try forcing it on/off from your video card settings.

I know mouse delay when I see some, having dealt with bad monitors and vsync problems before.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Posts: 1,301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try r_rawinput 1. Maybe it helps.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Posts: 443Members, NS2 Map Tester
    QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Mar 10 2012, 04:19 AM) »
    when i'm moving my mouse, there is a delay before my view is turning on the screen. for me, this adds a significant difficulty to aiming.
    are there any ways e.g. settings to reduce this? what does it depend on?

you arent using the flash menu mod by chance are you? I get this same problem when I use that mod.
    Ryne aka R-W-Ryne (twitch)

Trying to stream NS2 often: everything from scrims, to gathers, to pub play!
    Ryne's Twitch Page | Ryne's Casts (Steam Group) | Blind's Twitch Page
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Posts: 897Members
    edited March 2012
    the delay is not horrible as in unplayable. i'd estimate it's like 300ms but this is more like a guess :)

Vsync might be the culprit, try forcing it on/off from your video card settings.

Try r_rawinput 1. Maybe it helps.

ty, i will try those.

you arent using the flash menu mod by chance are you? I get this same problem when I use that mod.

no, i'm not using it. it seems quite handy but i'd rather wait for the official improvements.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    sadly neither worked...

what i figured out though, is that the delay is significantly reduced when i put the game to the lowest res, also disabling atmospherics, shadows and bloom. it feels like theres still some minor delay though.
    well, could this be a performance issue in the end? however, i did these observations in the ready room, having 40 fps while idle and about 30 fps while moving around, which is not so terribly bad...
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Posts: 1,352Members, Constellation
    Are you playing in window mode? Try disabling Aero, I heard it can cause mouse lag. I think you do that by going to the NS2.exe properties.
    This is the kind of thing that goes on behind close doors on normal game releases, where they are optimizing it right up until the end. You guys are just getting to play with a version of the game that normally only the developers see.

--Cory
  • WebbieWebbie Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24769Posts: 36Members
    edited March 2012
    Is it actually this issue (which is still unresolved):
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115976
    ?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Are you playing in window mode? Try disabling Aero

no i'm not playing in window mode. and i've chosen the classic, non-transparent theme for win 7 (i guess this disables aero?).

Is it actually this issue (which is still unresolved):

no, although i know this issue as well. dead zones in aiming can be annoying if you try to snipe something, yes.
    but my issue is about a delay between physical mouse movement and mouse movement on the screen.
    i_rawinput actually helped (i didn't know it started with i_). that's breaking mousebuttons 4 and 5 though, i'll try console binding them sometime.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Posts: 1,301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh sorry my bad... Forgot that it was i_rawinput and not r_rawinput. Sorry buddy
  • hamptonhampton Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Posts: 186Members, Constellation
    Take this opportunity to ensure your polling rate is set to 1000hz and disable mouse acceleration if you haven't already.
    aka GORGEOUS GORGE