Xbox 360 Controller Compatibility

TrevStarTrevStar Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148116Members
Quick question - Can I use an Xbox 360 controller to play Natural Selection 2?

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1909974:date=Mar 4 2012, 06:51 PM:name=TrevStar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrevStar @ Mar 4 2012, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quick question - Can I use an Xbox 360 controller to play Natural Selection 2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right now, I'm afraid not. It might be possible in the future though.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It is possible by mapping your xbox controller buttons to keyboard buttons with programs like xpadder.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Learn to use a keyboard and mouse.

Trust me, you'll never go back.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2012
    Going to echo the general sentiment which is even if you could get the actual controller to work, the game probably wouldn't be very fun. Everyone else would have way better response times than you, and you'd probably find aiming very very difficult.

So, I would hesitate to say you could 'play' the game with it, even if the controller worked.

Although I suppose it's possible that someone might make a mod for the 360 controller to make the game more playable with one, but it's unlikely, people are a bit... hostile? towards the idea here.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xpadder would work, but why would you want to do it?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just going to say that adding controller support is a good idea for the longer run, as some people won't purchase and only would want to play with a controller. As some people find gaming with a keyboard and mouse uncomfortable, seen by my experience of trying to get others to try the game.

Also with Steam's "big picture mode" or the Steam console. Adding controller support would gain more support from those crowds as well.
  • Enfurn0Enfurn0 Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146430Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    xpadder seems to work okay. Native support would be nice.

Maybe he wants to do it because he likes his couch? Big picture mode? 50+ inch screen? That is why I want it. I would prefer native support and with the direction that gaming has been going for the past decade, I was surprised that the option wasn't available in the settings.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I can't begin to fathom how badly you're likely to do playing on a controller. Please let me know if you're going to join a game playing on a controller, though. It would be highly entertaining to see!
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    As I said before in this exact topic, maybe he(or she) just wants to be comfortable while playing and it isn't about winning or losing.
  • the9thdudethe9thdude Join Date: 2007-08-02 Member: 61753Members
    The game does not natively support the Xbox 360 controller. Which can be good or bad depending on the boat you're in.

I've been brainstorming ways on how to make controller support work and I'd love to implement it, but my coding skills just aren't up to snuff to do that sort of thing. (Hint: it requires a near-total rework of the comm ui.)
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    Xpadder works fine. You'll get the most use out of it this weekend as a marine, when everyone is ground skulking.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SoundFX wrote: »
    As I said before in this exact topic, maybe he(or she) just wants to be comfortable while playing and it isn't about winning or losing.

That's as maybe, but can you imagine commanding such a dude? 'Okay, build the ninja phase, wait controller dude, you've got incoming... Oh God, not again... Recycling phase'

I'm not trying to be elitist when I say this, though I realise it runs the risk of sounding that way, but I simply can't imagine why anyone would want to handicap themselves so completely and utterly in such a way.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    SoundFX wrote: »
    It's not about winning or losing, it's about playing or not playing. You are not really playing the game if you can't do nothing else than build things. Or you are playing in explore mode and then... ok.

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    you'd have to.make controller only servers... and disable jumping...
  • sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    edited March 2013
    *Post Redacted* If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all... - Angelusz
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Controllers might be halfway decent if you check out the ones with a trackball instead of a joystick. If you do get one of these, please let us know how it turns out.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    edited March 2013
    sumo0 wrote: »
    *Post Redacted* If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all... - Angelusz

This comment is in no way constructive.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    edited March 2013
    Everytime I see the topic of controller vs keyboard+mouse. I think of high school.
    I had a heated argument (being a dumb high schooler) trying to explain how and why the keyboard+mouse is better for first person shooters than the controller. I even went on to say that the controller is better for other game genres, but its simply impossible to argue that the controller is superior to the keyboard+mouse when it comes to first person shooters.
    But my friend kept insisting that because he gets high KDR in Halo, this means that the controller is superior to the keyboard+mouse.
    I wanted to somehow play a game of Halo with him, me using a keyboard+mouse and him using a controller. So I could utterly destroy his dumb face. But I don't think that was possible. There might be keyboard+mouse mods for the Xbox360 though.

Anyway, I don't think there is a way to play NS2 with an xbox360 controller unless you use XPadder.
    And if you do, it won't be as fun.
    But I do agree that giving players the option to play with a controller is awesome.
    Options, options, options, always a good thing.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    Everytime I see the topic of controller vs keyboard+mouse. I think of high school. I had a heated argument (being a dumb high schooler) trying to explain how and why the keyboard+mouse is better for first person shooters than the controller. I even went on to say that the controller is better for other game genres, but its simply impossible to argue that the controller is superior to the keyboard+mouse when it comes to first person shooters. But my friend kept insisting that because he gets high KDR in Halo, this means that the controller is superior to the keyboard+mouse. I wanted to somehow play a game of Halo with him, me using a keyboard+mouse and him using a controller. So I could utterly destroy his dumb face. But I don't think that was possible. There might be keyboard+mouse mods for the Xbox360 though. Anyway, I don't think there is a way to play NS2 with an xbox360 controller unless you use XPadder. And if you do, it won't be as fun. But I do agree that giving players the option to play with a controller is awesome. Options, options, options, always a good thing.

Just let him in on a few little secrets:

1. He's playing with people who are also using a controller
    2. His "superior" controller has aim assist. Seriously, rub this one in!
    3. Mouse tracking and twitch aiming are not tied to a constant movement (analog sticks)
    4. Slap him upside the head!

Spark engine should have controller support in any case it would be silly for it not to have it. But for NS2, it's not a priority or even needed imho...
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    rocket jumping and circle and strafe jumping with controller would equal lols + railguns...
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited March 2013
    This reminds me a quake 1 where usual player with mouse+keyboard can with easy defeat a pro player that uses only a keyboard.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    I play NS2 with my xbox360 controller all the time and I do well. I often have the most points by the end of the game on both marines and aliens. On average I get about 30-6 KD on aliens. However I do admit aiming is three times harder, but I am more used to the controller than a mouse and keyboard. Playing with the controller is not as hard as it seems, just takes getting used to.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I play NS2 with my xbox360 controller all the time and I do well. I often have the most points by the end of the game on both marines and aliens. On average I get about 30-6 KD on aliens. However I do admit aiming is three times harder, but I am more used to the controller than a mouse and keyboard. Playing with the controller is not as hard as it seems, just takes getting used to.

Yes, we heard you the first time ;)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Screenshots plz!

Also, I suspect you'd do even better if you stuck to the keyboard and mouse. The only good use of using a controller for PC gaming is to help with RSI.
  • SkyfishSkyfish Norway Join Date: 2013-11-23 Member: 189525Members
    Hello, I have been playing Ns2 a lot lately, and it has caused my thumb and index and middle finger to go numb. I always get shoulder pain in ns2 games because they last so long and are very intense, I grip the mouse hard, it is a Razer lachesis mouse and I use the side button for push to talk since my thumb is the only one available really.

I have realized that if I keep palying with a mouse and keyboard I may develop carpal tunnel syndrome or other mouse related damage to my arm, I cannot afford this as I am an artist and it is the skill I live on.

I have decided I must play with a 360 controller from now on. Xpadder cost money and Ns2 does not support xbox controller, so It's looking like I can no longer play ns2 unless I pay for xpadder. I have had a hard time getting xbox controller to work, I'm no computer geek who knows how to troubleshoot things intensely. (I liked how halo worked without issues... but halo is no longer the game for me, so pc is where I must live now. where ns2 is, great game, sad it's a bit "unfinished")

Please add controller support. It would make your game accessible to normal human beings who don't cope well with more than 45 minute long games. Accessibility is an important thing that every game developer should think about when designing. Ns2 just is not a healthy game to play, sad as it is, because of how long the matches tend to go on in the rare event that teams are actually balanced.

I play as a lerk, and have my left hand i n claw mode in order to reach the control and shift buttons with my pinky since this was the most convenient setup I could figure with wasd and other buttons being occupied. Skulking and lerking with constant flapping and sneaking and hanging on the roof with shift causes unnatural hand posture.

Controllers maybe not have the response times as mouse and keyboard, but alteast they are far more ergonomic and I'd rather play with a handicap than not play at all.

I know halo was heavy on the magnetism and auto aim, but I still feel like I will shoot better with a controller on NS2 since I panic shoot like crazy on ns2, the slower pace is probably going to help me provided i'm not being attacked from behind, but I will play to compensate for my slow turning.

As much as I think the mouse and keyboard is so far the most responsive gear to connect us to our video game worlds, I view them as primitive. Complexity isn't automatically good, if you can acheive one thing with fewer buttons through radial menues or button combination for a more elegant solution, then I'd say that is better. One hotkey per voice command, taunt, sneak, flap is not a good solution, but at the moment there is no alternative. I'd love to see interfaces that can distinguish between pressure levels or combinations. Peripherals are limited by standardizations, we don't use pedals or voice commands because they are clunky and underdeveloped, but that doesn't mean they are not potentially better solutions than the mouse. The mouse and keyboard are the oldest.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    posture1.jpgoNcqznE.png

Pay special attention to the arm angle.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    Skyfish wrote: »
    Xpadder cost money
    try 5.3, it's the last freeware version.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Meh, no point in bashing it if he wants to use one. But, i don't see it happening anytime soon (it's not really a high priority IMO).

Personally, I agree that a PC is better for this game (and most fps). But if it works for him/her then why not. They have to get xpadder so it's up to them.