Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 199 released

1235»

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    A few marine notes:

1. Phase gates are rather a poor design. For marines that is.

2. Ip arms stop bullets but not marines? so, cf: 1 above, why do phase gate arms stop marines?

3. If fades move at close to 1% light speed in blink, why do they also move so fast in normal walk mode? also, with those funny looking legs, why don't they fall over when they attack? ie: why does swipe have such an effect on model anims/momentum, even if it isnt shown in 1st person?

4. Armouries show weapons available but you can't buy them coz it's not an upgraded armoury...maybe 'red out' unavailable but researched weapons?

5. "build structure" commands are on auto, not so bad but are they audiable to 3rd party? does this give away positions too much when you want to be sneaky?

6. Now that Onos has disrupt, should power nodes be rethought? also, power node in Refinary hive/spawn on Mineshaft doesn't affect buildings build closer to it than other nodes. What determines the 'power node' radius?

7. Lasers on turrets. Nice looking, but seems as the turret spins and shoots depsite this visual effect / without regard to laser direction, a bit superfluous?

8. What does 6 shotgun blasts in the bum have to do with an Onos? Nothing, if your in another country....

:)
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1910103:date=Mar 5 2012, 07:02 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 5 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1 - 8<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds to me like you play Marines way too much and aliens not at all.

1 - Your opinion and i disagree.

3 - Fades have to be able to catch up to marines. Blink costs a lot and you need to walk to your target some to attack.

4 - They are grayed out.... if that isnt clear enough maybe it does need to be red. I have never have a problem.

5 - Not sure, but the act of building causes noise and so does footstep 0_o

2, 6-8 - someone else can tackle those.

Are you trolling or serious? Biggest advice is play aliens at least some.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1910103:date=Mar 5 2012, 09:02 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 5 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A few marine notes:
    1. Phase gates are rather a poor design. For marines that is.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean with poor design?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I kinda like how they look but I often find myself having trouble getting places because I go back and forth without reason, possibly due to FPS/net lag.
    Having to press use on a phase gate was less disorienting, actually walking through is faster though.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4. Armouries show weapons available but you can't buy them coz it's not an upgraded armoury...maybe 'red out' unavailable but researched weapons?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That still confuses me at times as well, I vote for a line text "not available" through the icon or making the icon red.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5. "build structure" commands are on auto, not so bad but are they audiable to 3rd party? does this give away positions too much when you want to be sneaky?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Third party being the Kharaa team? No. Well I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure they can't hear those.
    Actually, hearing voice chatter would be interesting, noisy probably.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->7. Lasers on turrets. Nice looking, but seems as the turret spins and shoots depsite this visual effect / without regard to laser direction, a bit superfluous?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It's a gimmick yes, looks cool though.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/2/build_199_released" target="_blank">This link for 199, from the NS2 page</a> goes to Build 198.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    after maybe 30 marine games... balance is broken in b199!

aliens win 90-95%!

onoses are impossible to kill - unless they are suiciding. half marine team can empty 3 mags into one and he still gets away. 2 are a nightmare, with 3 it's simply impossible for the marine team team to dish out enough dmg. and seemingly aliens can get them as much as marines get shotguns. it's impossible to hold ANY map control.

fades are impossible to kill even with sg+FT. as soon as they are in the picture marines lose map control and aliens have onos.

skulk movement is F*CKED THE SH*T UP! they twirl and jump around COMPLETELY unpredictably, this coupled with desynch of the model with actual current gamestate means you're confused as b*lls. i get SG skulk-kills by shooting around 1 skulk length BEHIND the skulk seemingly scoring perfect 1-shot kills. then there's the sh*t with visual skulk somehow lagging behind the skulk-players actions, which means the skulk already bit 3 times when i see him coming into biterange! i'm not done! add that shotgun fires a 0.5-second-ETERNITY after you press means you have to PREDICT SKULK POSITION: READ ABOVE!
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I think phase gates are one of the best designs in NS2. It was so good in NS they had to steal it to make the nydus network in Starcraft 2, and that thing's not as cool as phase gates. Please try to explain when you say things like that...otherwise it's kinda useless to post!
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    New fade movement; not sure what I think of it just yet.

I often find myself hitting my directional keys twice therefore screwing up my kills.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911179:date=Mar 8 2012, 05:14 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Mar 8 2012, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->after maybe 30 marine games... balance is broken in b199!

aliens win 90-95%!

onoses are impossible to kill - unless they are suiciding. half marine team can empty 3 mags into one and he still gets away. 2 are a nightmare, with 3 it's simply impossible for the marine team team to dish out enough dmg. and seemingly aliens can get them as much as marines get shotguns. it's impossible to hold ANY map control.

fades are impossible to kill even with sg+FT. as soon as they are in the picture marines lose map control and aliens have onos.

skulk movement is F*CKED THE SH*T UP! they twirl and jump around COMPLETELY unpredictably, this coupled with desynch of the model with actual current gamestate means you're confused as b*lls. i get SG skulk-kills by shooting around 1 skulk length BEHIND the skulk seemingly scoring perfect 1-shot kills. then there's the sh*t with visual skulk somehow lagging behind the skulk-players actions, which means the skulk already bit 3 times when i see him coming into biterange! i'm not done! add that shotgun fires a 0.5-second-ETERNITY after you press means you have to PREDICT SKULK POSITION: READ ABOVE!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I share your frustration.
    @IE, its called an opinion, I don't need to validate it, certainly not for your benefit.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911375:date=Mar 8 2012, 06:19 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 8 2012, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@IE, its called an opinion, I don't need to validate it, certainly not for your benefit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But what use is it to anyone other than you? If you're not willing to discuss it and elaborate on things, why post it on a forum?
    Nobody asked for your opinion on phase gates. This thread is called "Build 199 released." Did the phase gate appear in build 199, and you don't like it? No.
    I will discuss anything, but your the one who dismissed my view as 'un based' when I've played NS and NS2 for many many years, what, do you want me to show you medals or something?

Oh, and LOL at 'play aliens some' ... my Forum handle is ONOS FACTORY. Muppets :)
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1911179:date=Mar 8 2012, 04:14 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Mar 8 2012, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->after maybe 30 marine games... balance is broken in b199!

aliens win 90-95%!

skulk movement is F*CKED THE SH*T UP! they twirl and jump around COMPLETELY unpredictably, this coupled with desynch of the model with actual current gamestate means you're confused as b*lls. i get SG skulk-kills by shooting around 1 skulk length BEHIND the skulk seemingly scoring perfect 1-shot kills. then there's the sh*t with visual skulk somehow lagging behind the skulk-players actions, which means the skulk already bit 3 times when i see him coming into biterange! i'm not done! add that shotgun fires a 0.5-second-ETERNITY after you press means you have to PREDICT SKULK POSITION: READ ABOVE!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed it is rather frustrating for the moment but try and remember that there are a few marine upgrades that are not available for the time being that will help counter fades + onos', for example the exo-suit.
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1911375:date=Mar 9 2012, 12:19 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 9 2012, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@IE, its called an opinion, I don't need to validate it, certainly not for your benefit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The point is that....
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Phase gates are rather a poor design. For marines that is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...is pretty pointless feedback as your not explaining why you you think its a poor design. You may as well post that you like lollipops for all that it helps anyone :P

For example, my feedback about PGs is that i'd prefer to have to 'use' (E button) a PG to go through it as currently with a bit of lag its too easy to skip through several PGs in a row without meaning to.

See, useful feedback with an explanation and a suggestion on how to fix it. Now you try!! :D
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    i just hope the server problems get fixed soon. and cant wait for a HMG if they ever put it in we really need one.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I keep teleporting as a fade when I don't mean to. The double tap teleport didn't add anything to the game IMO I like the old system fine.
  • HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
    I am loving the game at this stage. Great sustained games are normal and slowdown/performance bugs are, for the most part, not a huge problem.

Phase gates are a little bit of a problem (as stated above) but this has only been an issue for me when having multiple marines trying to rush through multiple gates. Perhaps we could either walk through the gate (to the next in line) or hit E and use the gate. The number of uses would indicate which gate we were going to appear at. (Eg.. A double tap would take us to the second gate in the line).

Marines typically memorize the gate order so this may be used as an advanced movement technique.

As for those OnosFactory's post - Unknown worlds still needs to know if something is poorly designed or is a problem point for the user. The user isn't paid to develop or even offer the suggestion to fix it. Suggestions are free and wonderful but the simple act of illuminating a pain point is helpful feedback.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    Fix the drifter spawn bug on TRAM. Also, eggs spawning outside the hive room doesn't help much either.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1911857:date=Mar 10 2012, 03:12 PM:name=Melancor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melancor @ Mar 10 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fix the drifter spawn bug on TRAM. Also, eggs spawning outside the hive room doesn't help much either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Regarding the eggs spawning outside hive rooms, we've changed the code so that they only spawn wherever the location name for the relevant Hive techpoint room is. So, mappers will just need to make sure that the location name does not extend outside of the room, into adjacent hallways/rooms/areas and it should be fine.

Tram Shipping and Server are in the process of being heavily reworked, and hopefully the drifter spawn bug will be fixed along with that.

--Cory
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Noticed an annoying bug today - get a Skulk to go beneath the metal gangway in central drilling and he can bite marines standing on top. They can't fire through.
    PhOenix, well i must respond because, well, duh...

IT WASN'T FEEDBACK...it was an opinion. I'm not building a game. Im testing it for someone elses profit.

See the difference guy? I don't tell people what to do, I share my experiences and knowledge. Go figure.

And now, some alien qualms:

1. Gorge build menu is rubbish, a step backwards indeed.

2. Still no evolve in vents, yet I can fit a fade into those vents. Logic please...

3. No evolve on hives. It's my MF mummy! If I wanna have a sleep on it an wake up happier I should be able to. This isn't Somalia right?

4. Might be a good idea to allow Gorge building on any visible surface. Just sayin....
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1912020:date=Mar 11 2012, 05:24 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 11 2012, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. Still no evolve in vents, yet I can fit a fade into those vents. Logic please...

3. No evolve on hives. It's my MF mummy! If I wanna have a sleep on it an wake up happier I should be able to. This isn't Somalia right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hold Ctrl(disable wallwalking) and then press B.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1912162:date=Mar 11 2012, 08:35 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Mar 11 2012, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hold Ctrl(disable wallwalking) and then press B.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would love to be able to evolve on walls as a skulk or lerk!
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    Thanks for the patch UWE, keep up the work.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    I don't like double tap controls, especialy when they can make you jump into a death pit in combat situations.
    It's colliding with my way of moving.

guess fade is unplayable for me. again.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912205:date=Mar 12 2012, 01:27 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Mar 12 2012, 01:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like double tap controls, especialy when they can make you jump into a death pit in combat situations.

guess fade is unplayable for me. again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Next patch it's going to be using shift as a modifier instead of the dreaded doubletap, on a side-note a bill has been dispatched in your general direction for repairs on my sarcasm meter :P
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912205:date=Mar 12 2012, 02:27 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Mar 12 2012, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like double tap controls, especialy when they can make you jump into a death pit in combat situations.

guess fade is unplayable for me. again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Changed in the next build. You will need to press shift to perform a shadowstep.

Need to learn to write faster on my phone...
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    anyone else think that green alien stuff spread is broken? if you put a cyst on top of a box for example, most of the time the green stuff won't spread over the corners, it's like that for a lot of surfaces, mostly ceilings and such
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912219:date=Mar 11 2012, 06:36 PM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Mar 11 2012, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912219"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone else think that green alien stuff spread is broken? if you put a cyst on top of a box for example, most of the time the green stuff won't spread over the corners, it's like that for a lot of surfaces, mostly ceilings and such<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, mostly because the current infestation mechanic is a placeholder using the decal system.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912210:date=Mar 11 2012, 08:37 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 11 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changed in the next build. You will need to press shift to perform a shadowstep.

Need to learn to write faster on my phone...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if you hold forward, right, shift, -> which way do you shadow step?

if answer is diagonal then.. awesome :p
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    This is a beta so the answer will be: Up! ;p