Fade Blink

2»

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1908250:date=Feb 29 2012, 02:44 PM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Feb 29 2012, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115631" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115631</a>
    Anyone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm still here +1'ing everything that implies fades being less invulnerable and take more skill to play effectively.
    Fade momentum mod achieves that.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 to this momentum mod from me too, but don't forget the shotgun. A weakened fade will only push the usefulness of the shotguns even more over the top.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    fades are fine the way they are. If played carefully they can get high k/d ratio's just like in NS1, but a good shotty or misclick can allow the fade to die very easily, given that marines are travelling in groups and working together with a good weapon composition, ie: shotty, shotty, flame, lmg, welders.
    With the recent addition of obs and fade's trailing smoke shadow while in blink, its easy to see where fades are and are going to be. At times, fades feel too weak, other times, just right. Depends on the skill level of the fade and marines and even the best fades have quite some difficulty with jetpacking marines or fully armored marines or full weapons shotties.

Allowing fades to take damage while in blink will make fades too weak.

The problem at the moment is the lack of HA and the resource model. Both of which problems will be addressed, since this is a beta.

tl:dr fades are just right, wait for HA and polished resource model for better fade balance.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do not like the idea of Fades being vulnerable during Blink. It just wouldn't feel like blinking if that was the case IMO. And for most marines that wouldn't even help them. Blink should just be balanced by tweaking stuff like energy cost, speed, cooldown, etc.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908258:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:32 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 29 2012, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Blink should just be balanced by tweaking stuff like energy cost, speed, cooldown, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what the Mod is doing:P

From current:
    Cost - speed
    Gain - invulnerability

To:
    Cost - invulnerability
    Gain - speed (preserving)
  • Bobo44Bobo44 Join Date: 2011-11-02 Member: 130749Members
    within the current situation though, theres gotta be some changes. i feel like a god when i'm a fade. especially on summit with the decent frames and much flat grounds.
  • DooM-AUDooM-AU Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106715Members
    Sigh.

This is not going to fix anything with the Fade, the problem is not the blink, it's not the damage, it's not the health and it is certainly not the invulnerability it has while blinking. The problem is the complete delay the Fade has showing up on the screen after blinking. A Fade takes anywhere from 1-3 seconds (if not longer) to actually render and show up on the screen, in that time they can attack you and make a pretty easy getaway, its not a balancing issue, its the bug that causes Fades not to render straight after blinking that's the issue.
  • SarosuSarosu Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147573Members
    Fades are are expensive. And when they die, they can't be picked up like shotguns. Imo it would be unfair if 1 marine could kill 1 fade of equal skill. Marines are stronger in groups, and a rambo marine should indeed be fragile and punished, especially by a fade.

If blink gets nerfed, fades would have to get more armor/hp, or they wouldnt even be able to solo 1 skilled player with a shotgun.

I think fades will be more balanced why fps/lag issues are getting better, and when more aspects and upgrades are implemented for marines.
  • EstevooEstevoo Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 138993Members
    Fade can't get shot while blink, 'cause it/he's teleportin'!!!
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Honestly while fades are a bit OP right now they would become UP if changed.

Reasons:
    -Flame Throwers are already fantastic anti Fade weapons, Most of them bugging out instead of trying to fight
    -Shotguns are also already Fantastic anti fade Weapons. 2-3 hits and they are done, It just takes practice.
    -Exosuits have yet to be added to the game, when they are im certain fade's ability will diminish greatly.
    -With the addition of the Obs passive scan, they can be seen and outlined even when in Blink

Honestly, If i wanted to change the fade the only thing i would remove is the ability for them to get frenzy (Heals alien on kill).

That is really the only thing that makes them next to impossible to kill
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I don't see how the momentum mod 'fixes' the fade
    but i like it
    it makes blinking far more interesting

other than that leave fades as is
    they are awesome in the right hands
    they are fun in unskilled hands
    they are beatable

As performance gets better aim will get better and more will go down.

if you strip the fade of all his powers his arrival and death will be meh.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The main goal of the mod is to make the fade more pleasant to play. But it turned out that with a huge increase in energy (vanilla is 35 and mod 250) the fade spent most of the time out of blink, which kind of fix it. To go from A to B with the mod a fade will be maybe 75% of the time out of blink while the vanilla one will be 100%.

Also for those who might have missed it there is a video of the fade without invulnerability here : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115653&st=0&start=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t=0&start=0</a>
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I love the fade the way it is. Even though I like to play fades more than anything, because i'm good at it, flamethrowers and shotguns scares me at times lol. When fades are on fire and ran out of energy they are very vulnerable.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Fade is almost perfect IMO. He is very powerfull but fragile at the same time. 1 little fault, 1 little unexepted thing can cause a fast death.

I don't think the blink is the problem, because you don't need to be in blink all the time, it's his 2. Attack that still 1 hits marines with armor 2.
    Short upwards blink in combination with this attack is the power of the fade and I'am sure the blink changes won't affect fades that play for perfection alot, and I would miss the actual blink in trolling purposes.

And a Fade that shows no respect to a flamer or to a cyrclestrafer, is a dead fade.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    As random point, blink conserves vertical momentum but not horizontal momentum for some odd reason. Can cause some pretty funny deaths to natural causes.