The first trickjumping map aaahahahahgrahgjhgfUpdate: Not compatible with build 209! Needs some reworking on...Update, 12th May 2012:
- Added missing turtle skybox files. Credits go to evilbob for them!Changes, 11th May 2012:
- Tuned jumps for beta build 207.
- Added scaffolding underneath the easy route.
- Added a practise area.
- Added a new challenge: Column Challenge!
- Now with skybox, better lights and entity/geometry/prop groupings. Thanks to Koruyo!
After a 10-year-break from mapping (a decade), I decided to open Spark and had a go with it. It was violent. Last time I played with vertices was in 2002 with Worldcraft for Quake2. After three full days of work I crafted the first trickjumping map for NS2: ns2_skulkjumpDownload: ns2_skulkjump.rar from duplexgaming (release 3, for B207)Installation:
Extract to steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2
How to play:
Walkthrough video. If you are a beginner, check the next video!
Beginner walkthrough for Easy route. Covers main concepts of skulk jumping as well.
- Create a server.
- Set "cheats 1" from the console and join aliens, either from the ready room or with "j2". Cheats sadly doesn't bypass the spawning queue anymore. You will have to wait 8 seconds every time you die. If you get fsfod's menumod, you can press F4, F2 to join the readyroom and back to aliens, instantly out of the egg!
- Typing "debugspeed" in the console gives you a speed/momentum/timing info which is necessary for this level.
- jerkstoresup's Top Speed display
will also come in handy!
- CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY DIFFICULTY: 1 pink skulk: Easy. 2 pink skulks: Medium. 3 pink skulks: HARD.
- There's also an extra challenge now: Column Challenge!Walljumping tips:
- As soon as you land on a wall and jump again, you will get a jump boost.
- The speed boost is applied towards the direction you are moving and watching, so aiming upwards will send your skulk in an arc.
- By chaining jumps, you can get up to 30 speed.
- You can only get a jump boost from a wall every 0,6 seconds.
- If you only barely graze against a wall and jump, you will not get a boost. (bug)Difficulty info:
- Easy: This section is for teaching you all the basic jumps.
- Medium: This section is all about chaining jumps and doing long jumps!
- Hard: This section requires a lot of precision to execute the jumps. However, not a lot of speed is needed. At the final meters, it will also destroy you psychologically.
- Column Challenge: Jump from column to column many times and see how far you can jump along the deathly platform! You can recall where you landed by looking at the creatures, who cheer for your failure. Only by reaching the pink skulk will you beat the challenge.Lastly:
The map is subject to change if skulk walljumping mechanics change dramatically from build 207. Which is very likely because you will have to distort physics quite a lot to beat the Column Challenge.