Xenocide planned?

2»

Comments

• Egad!Egad! Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128250Members
    Yeah, xenocide needs a bit of tweaking.

The sound effect is really good and creepy, kudos to simon for that. However, like others have noticed, the shriek is the same as the hive uses, so it's a bit confusing at first. If that were switched to a slightly different shriek, it would be perfect.
  • Gorge_LucasGorge_Lucas Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109352Members

I never liked Xenocide
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xenocide is a wildly explosive fun time. Seeing the marines try to run away as you scream and kablooey!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Xeno is a great way at 3rd hive, when you've just lost your 81 res onos, and need to wait a short time to afford your next one.

Plus there is nothing like a sustained assault on MS with a skulk flying in and exploding every 4 seconds. It is hilarious to take part in, but takes a lot of organisation :)
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908003:date=Feb 28 2012, 07:27 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 28 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well that sort of Xenocide just isn't likely to return under the current resource model. When everyone can afford to go Onos, why would anyone (but the most die-hard skulk fans) go skulk?

Make lifeforms much scarcer, and we'll see Xenocide become a powerful 3rd-hive mechanic again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Na man, this wasn't a problem in NS1. It was very common for people to go fully upgraded skulk into the end game.

Leap + focus + cloaking made you very versatile.
  • John BlackthorneJohn Blackthorne Join Date: 2012-02-23 Member: 147245Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908086:date=Feb 28 2012, 10:41 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Feb 28 2012, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Na man, this wasn't a problem in NS1. It was very common for people to go fully upgraded skulk into the end game.

Leap + focus + cloaking made you very versatile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was wondering about that zas I want to to be usefull and versatile as you put it, from the start to finish of a match with the skulk.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Xenocide was ninjaed in! Atm though it does just about nothing to buildings (like the dmg of one bite, if that) is this intended or will it be changed later?
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908086:date=Feb 28 2012, 11:41 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Feb 28 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Na man, this wasn't a problem in NS1. It was very common for people to go fully upgraded skulk into the end game.

Leap + focus + cloaking made you very versatile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The difference is: upgrades didnt cost res in ns1, at least from version 3.1 on. That made it possible to be quite effective in lategame with focus cara and celeration.
    Could you imagine someone spending 6 res for upgrades while intending to blow up on first contact? Me neither.

Btw your example leap focus cloak is kinda weird as you couldnt select focus and cloak at a time as they were both sensory chamber upgrades. And leap would automatically uncloak you :-)

Ah i miss silence cara sof for a suicide leap right into ms :-D
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    I find the xenocide to be a last resort technique, for when you either are backed in to a corner, faced up 1vlots of marines and only sure death is in store for you and etc. In my opinion it should not be tweaked so that it works as a viable, constant strategy to push marines (i can already see people constantly using it without thought resulting in a huge pain in the ass). Ns2 skulks differ from Ns1 skulks, i don't find it hard at all being useful as a skulk during late game: With so much happening, and the dominant lifeform being something probably "bigger" the skulk actually becomes less noticeable.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xeno is really usefull. 2 exploding Skulk and all marines in range are dead. It already saved alot of Hives when 5 marines were rushing it.

That cloud that is left by the Skulk, is that Umbra?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...by the time you have 3 hives up, the only people still playing skulks are people skilled enough with their movement to get kills without exploding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not true. If you have bad luck and die with your onos / fade shortly after gestation, you have too few res to gestate again. Because carapace doesn't really help the skulk in end game, you are pretty much screwed and can sit out the rest of the endgame on a ceiling. The skulk isn't useful in endgame because you need 4 bites against armor 3. Even the blindest of the marines can kill you in the time you need to chew him. The Xenocide could change this and further shorten the stalemates.

I'm surprised but happy that they ninjad in. Can't wait to try it out today.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    recent prototype implementation of xenocide is great.
    I feel it needs to do a little more damage. Also its missing the push back that it had in NS1.
    Felt great when a skulk would xeno and scatter marines, leaving them more vulnerable for a few seconds necessary for other lifeforms to pick them off.

Xeno has always been an AoE infantry killer, good for defending hive rushes or scattering, crippling and killing larges groups of marines and a good softener of armor and health so that higher lifeforms ie: fades can clean em up.

My only 3 complaints:
    lack of push back
    less hive-like sound
    graphic needs to look more like a biological explosion. (I'm thinking like a combination of a baneling burst, a grenade exploding in ballistic gel and a water balloon popping, with a spherical spore-like gas extending from the origin for aesthetics, which could act as a smoke bomb, causing additional chaos.)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Xeno isnt finished yet, it managed to sneak into 198. We'll be testing it more in the future.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    how do i become a playtester?
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908280:date=Feb 29 2012, 04:42 PM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Feb 29 2012, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how do i become a playtester?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have to earn it, not in days, not in weeks, not in months but in years.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908280:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:42 AM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Feb 29 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how do i become a playtester?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The majority of the PTs are just lucky individuals who got an invite early on, or knew someone that did.

UWE are busting their butts working on this game, so they don't have the time to handpick PTs based on any real play related means.