NS2 Gathers

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1890655:date=Dec 17 2011, 07:19 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Dec 17 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think in the long run something like the ENSL gather system works quite alright. It's kind of similar how Steam handles DRM - it offers enough of benefits that people don't get awfully disgruntled about the nuisances like logging in and so on. ENSL offered a lot of good things for a competetive gamer in general and gathers were added there only later on while almost everyone playing gathers had an account anyway.

One of the useful thingys about the ENSL method is how much potential room for developing it has. The ENSL plugin can for example force players to use their ENSL account handles as ingame nicks, see account information ingame and in general manage the players easily. In community bigger than the everybody-knows-everyone NS1 community I could definitely see a lot of use for such smooth management.

As for NS2 I don't know. Right now this site is probably the only link between smaller clusters of players. I guess right now IRC bot should do just fine, but I don't know if it's the best solution for a longer establishment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The thought process behind this is to give the current NS2 players somewhere to meet, at least until a better alternative comes up(ENSL?).
    I'm not sure we are going to host ladders or leagues like ENSL did for ns1, I hope we can leave that to the ENSL, and others, when ns2 has shaped more up.
    But we do have the (only?) maps/mods database for NS2, which we intend on keeping up to date and improve, hopefully with the help of the authors. But you dont need an account to access the database.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1890511:date=Dec 16 2011, 08:25 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 16 2011, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ENSL gather system is rubbish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We've used it for over 4000 gathers before. Most people are quite happy with it, and some have asked the source code for other gaming sites. How many gathers have you played? I think the issue with our gathering is more of embittered competitive players if you want pick on something. I don't know if many of them would play NS2 gathers though.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: The ENSL one also likes to break quite a bit. I've seen it not allow captains to pick members, wipe teams mid-pick a fair few times. If it were to be used quite heavily, this would be extremely frustrating and would require so much time to fix.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We have used it heavily for like 2-3 years (1000+ gathers per year), and while some gathers have broken it has been mostly a marginal issue. Right now all bugs have been fixed except for a few cosmetic ones. AFK captains are much more of an issue.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both systems can work, they do work, I'm just suggesting IRC based more strongly as it's typically easier to run and harder to break; or rather it fails less and is easier to access.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I haven't done a survey, but I haven't heard anyone asking for the old IRC-based system back on ENSL. Especially none of the active gatherers. After I created the gather system on website, replacing IRC bot, the gather activity spiked so hard it killed half of the pcws.

Modifying it for NS2 is rather easy, and I can do it if you're interested.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Which brings us back to the question of logins, it'll kill your potential player-base.

Anyway, it saddens me to see how IRC has fallen from grace in the eyes of the people playing NS2, back in the old days (NS1 1.0-2.0), it was the premier way to organize gathers\pugs\mixs.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    I've set it up <a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45" target="_blank">here</a>. It's the same as NS1 but there're no NS2 servers available so you can't play yet.

swalk has admin so talk to him about this.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2011
    Many thanks to jiriki for setting this function up, saves us alot of work.
    Now all we need is a gameserver and this should be rolling :)
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1890684:date=Dec 18 2011, 03:32 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Dec 18 2011, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've set it up <a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45" target="_blank">here</a>. It's the same as NS1 but there're no NS2 servers available so you can't play yet.

swalk has admin so talk to him about this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh finally! Thanks a lot Jiriki!
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1890684:date=Dec 18 2011, 01:32 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Dec 18 2011, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've set it up <a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45" target="_blank">here</a>. It's the same as NS1 but there're no NS2 servers available so you can't play yet.

swalk has admin so talk to him about this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you very much!
  • BitPonBitPon Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75104Members
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Should just use AJAX for chat.
    <!--quoteo(post=1890957:date=Dec 20 2011, 07:14 AM:name=aCId_rAIn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aCId_rAIn @ Dec 20 2011, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Should just use AJAX for chat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just the livechat on ensl, works well enough?
    Anyway, that discussion no longer makes sense, since jiriki already opened for NS2 gathers.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1890957:date=Dec 20 2011, 09:14 AM:name=aCId_rAIn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aCId_rAIn @ Dec 20 2011, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Should just use AJAX for chat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Eh.. I don't want to be rude but that's like saying that you should use legs to walk.
    The chat already uses Ajax requests to send and receive the messages.
    edited December 2011
    We're testing out the gather system with Koruyo's listen server.
    Help us, and play some ns2!
    <a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers/4341" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/gathers/4341</a>
    Good games!
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1890957:date=Dec 20 2011, 09:14 AM:name=aCId_rAIn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aCId_rAIn @ Dec 20 2011, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Should just use AJAX for chat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is AJAX.

p.s. Whops sorry, Zeikko was faster.
    We will try to get some gathers running again tonight, Koruyo is online so we have his server available tonight!
    Here is the direct link for NS2 gathers on ENSL:
    <a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45</a>
    We'll try to put up a new gather in 30 minutes. Feel free to join!
    Most of my videos taken from last gather are incompatible to Youtube for some reason but here's video of one round:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffGPrCgcZcs"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffGPrCgcZcs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    do you mean gather as in get to gether some where physically or as an website to talk and stuff to i thought that was what forums where for?
  • Dr_Cox1911Dr_Cox1911 Join Date: 2011-04-25 Member: 95575Members
    Please don´t punch me but I´m new to this whole "gather"-thing and just don´t get it. How exactly does it work what are the steps to do.
    Is there already a TS3-server up (can´t understand the ingame voice most of the time)?
    You go to the <a href="http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45" target="_blank">ENSL website</a> and sign up to the website and for the gather. There is teamspeak set up with and you will get the server info when the gather begins.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891344:date=Dec 22 2011, 08:58 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Dec 22 2011, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do you mean gather as in get to gether some where physically or as an website to talk and stuff to i thought that was what forums where for?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a gather system for people who want to play some 6v6 games in a more competetive setting compared to publics.

<!--quoteo(post=1891354:date=Dec 22 2011, 10:05 PM:name=Dr_Cox1911)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr_Cox1911 @ Dec 22 2011, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please don´t punch me but I´m new to this whole "gather"-thing and just don´t get it. How exactly does it work what are the steps to do.
    Is there already a TS3-server up (can´t understand the ingame voice most of the time)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is no shame not to be able to reconize a system like this. :)
    Not everyone have played in these types of "semi private" games, and are therefore not just logical to everyone.
    But everyone with interest in playing the game competetively, are welcome to join up and play.
    And as zeikko already said, all you need to do is:
    <ul><li>Create an account on <a href="http://www.ensl.org" target="_blank">ENSL</a>, you will need your steam id for this - <a href="http://steamidfinder.com/" target="_blank">http://steamidfinder.com/</a></li><li>Then you log in.</li><li>Go to "NS2 Gather" in the top of the ensl site.</li><li>Now you press "Join Gather"</li><li>Now you need to wait until 12 people have signed up for the gather</li><li>When 12 people have signed up, some music starts playing to notify people that the gather is starting</li><li>Then people vote for captains</li><li>Captains pick teams</li><li>People join teamspeak and the game server. And the games begin</li></ul>

A gather usually lasts two rounds, but you can play more if everyone in the gather are up for it.

Make sure you have NS2 and teamspeak 3 installed before signing up for the gathers.

Only problem is, we currently need Koruyo to be online to play gathers, he kindly provided his PC as the server for these gathers.
    We're still looking into another, more stable server solution.

I am the only admin for these NS2 gathers so far.
    So if you have any other problems/questions, feel free to contact me or just make another post here. :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1890589:date=Dec 17 2011, 03:53 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Dec 17 2011, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890589"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Swalk,

how about this:
    For the beginning just use the Match Box NS2 group on steam. Set up a new event. Everybody will receive and can decide on participating. I did this through the summer and it worked quite good. Matches every other day. I guess today the playerbase is bigger, but I dont know it. This would be a good way to estimate the demand for such a website right now.
    Might saves you a lot of work.

But as always +1 for this ideas and the great community participation!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've been thinking about having a steam group for announcing when we have a server and a gather going.
    Match Box NS2 seems like a very good place to start, do I need to be an administrator to make announcements?
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    wrote you on steam...
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    i signed up for the gather thing, keep stuff informed. I'll be there if I can... in australia, dunno if i have it in me to get up super early.
    <!--quoteo(post=1891856:date=Dec 27 2011, 01:44 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Dec 27 2011, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i signed up for the gather thing, keep stuff informed. I'll be there if I can... in australia, dunno if i have it in me to get up super early.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah that's one of the downsides, timezones :P
    Hopefully after newyears we will have some gathers running again, I will keep the thread updated :)
    I think setting up steam group for this would be good idea to inform people when a lot of people have signed up.
    so there is not one for the us then or what is the reason Koruyo has to be on? im sure you can work out something with tempest.
    or is it mostly you think noone from the us will do it?
    <!--quoteo(post=1891889:date=Dec 27 2011, 09:19 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Dec 27 2011, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think setting up steam group for this would be good idea to inform people when a lot of people have signed up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think so too.
    And I think that the steam group "Match Box NS2" is a great place for this. It's a steamgroup of NS2 players with interest of this.
    Match Box NS2 already have 121 players signed up.

<!--quoteo(post=1891894:date=Dec 27 2011, 09:45 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Dec 27 2011, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so there is not one for the us then or what is the reason Koruyo has to be on? im sure you can work out something with tempest.
    or is it mostly you think noone from the us will do it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The reason is we have no other option than Koruyo hosting, others are welcome to provide a server.
    I believe I can tell you that we are simply waiting for NS2's serverperformance to get better so HBZ can handle two full gameservers.
    That should at least give us a stable server in europe.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As I wrote in a other threat I am somewhat inactive,
    but if yoou ask me on steam and I have time (even if i play something else) I will join the gather :-)
    yea i could do it for the US. just let me know if anyone is intrested as i can access the server from work but will let someone be backup admin just incase im not on steam. i have one of the inversion servers im renting from tempest and also can host one from my house if i need a second one.
    <!--quoteo(post=1891979:date=Dec 28 2011, 08:17 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Dec 28 2011, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yea i could do it for the US. just let me know if anyone is intrested as i can access the server from work but will let someone be backup admin just incase im not on steam. i have one of the inversion servers im renting from tempest and also can host one from my house if i need a second one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a great contribution!
    I'm the admin of the NS2 gathers on ensl, sending you a PM.