Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 188 released (Happy Thanksgiving!)

123457»

Comments

• gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    edited November 2011
    This build is very playable for me. No longer have the Video memory loss problem. A few things I do see that might need some adjustments

I am getting sound errors.

"Bullet richochet" (I will post the complete line later)

The pistol is OP in my opinion
    Shotties need a little more juice
    The egg spawning time is way to slow

I would think instead of just one egg when you start to spawn it would produce 3 so the rines could not just camp one egg. Just an idea.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1887267:date=Nov 28 2011, 04:49 AM:name=SloppyKisses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SloppyKisses @ Nov 28 2011, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also in this build when you engage an enemy it's as if everything slows down and you're fighting in slow-mo. It's really weird... I can't exactly describe it, but I don't like it at all. lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In regards to the "slow motion" some people have reported, according to Max that can probably happen if the server is running poorly. If the tick rate gets too low, the server will throw away the client input which could cause it to feel like things take longer. It should also feel kind of hitchy, but if you're just standing in one place firing your rifle you may not notice that. This could be some of the reasons people feel like the skulk movement was slowed down this patch, as well.

--Cory
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1887349:date=Nov 28 2011, 12:50 PM:name=gamester_5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gamester_5 @ Nov 28 2011, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    The pistol is OP in my opinion
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the pistol is buggy at the moment and will be fixed in the next patch.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    Just noticed that the shotgun triggers 10 ricochet sounds per shot. It seems rather unnecessary. Rifle ricochet frequency could also be toned down a little.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    i've seen my fps spike strangely if I stand and fire my rifle at any direction.
    But I have not seen any performance boosts in this version, feels completely the same for me which is 30ish and under fps.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited November 2011
    a small bug report.
    bug that keeps happening is when the commander for some reason crash, the comm chair stays locked. We allso encountered a problem where the chair was open but when u try to go inside and push the login button it keeps pushing you out ( before pushing the button that is ).
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1887362:date=Nov 28 2011, 03:44 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Nov 28 2011, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the pistol is buggy at the moment and will be fixed in the next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've noticed that theres been a serverside patch modifying the secondary fire to use 30 shots to empty the magazine, instead of 10.
    How bout doing it the other way? Each shot consumes 2 bullets, and max 2 or 3 shots per second(400ms between each)? The latter will probably not be possible without a clientside patch though. I feel the 2ndary fire went from OP, to almost useless with the current serverpatch.

Also: Did something happen to the lerk spikes in the serverpatch? It's as if it spreads a lot more now. I think the "OP" lerk balanced out the OP pistol, and it was quite fun to have 1v1 with lerk vs pistol in crevice.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1887479:date=Nov 29 2011, 04:06 PM:name=Skvate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skvate @ Nov 29 2011, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've noticed that theres been a serverside patch modifying the secondary fire to use 30 shots to empty the magazine, instead of 10.
    How bout doing it the other way? Each shot consumes 2 bullets, and max 2 or 3 shots per second(400ms between each)? The latter will probably not be possible without a clientside patch though. I feel the 2ndary fire went from OP, to almost useless with the current serverpatch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The server patch only fixes the pistol secondary rate of fire. But because it's a server side fix your client doesn't know about it and thinks you can shoot with the pistol when you actually can't. Thus you can see your ammo counter going up and down and it looks like you're able to shoot 30 times with a single magazine.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited November 2011
    yes, i know. It was implemented to fix the problem where you could unload the entire mag as fast as you could click the button. It also seems to have reduced the damage per bullet a alot.

As a suggestion for the next patch, i suggest making the 2ndary powerfull, slow and bullethungry.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887267:date=Nov 28 2011, 05:49 AM:name=SloppyKisses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SloppyKisses @ Nov 28 2011, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else having sound issues? Sounds too low, or not working at all?

Also in this build when you engage an enemy it's as if everything slows down and you're fighting in slow-mo. It's really weird... I can't exactly describe it, but I don't like it at all. lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I had this sound bug as well today, a client restart helped though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887482:date=Nov 29 2011, 03:45 PM:name=Skvate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skvate @ Nov 29 2011, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes, i know. It was implemented to fix the problem where you could unload the entire mag as fast as you could click the button. It also seems to have reduced the damage per bullet a alot.

As a suggestion for the next patch, i suggest making the 2ndary powerfull, slow and bullethungry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It didn't change the damage.
    But the damage types are bugged at the moment, which causes heavy imbalances. Very noticable on lerk spikes.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    My feedback so far:

Love random starts, I hope you dont restrict it so that bases have to be far away though, some of my best summit games have been where spawns are closer. The comms really important in these games as its easy to forget about expanding in other regions of the map, and there is an important choice to make about defending the short route and playing for the rest of the map or putting everything into an early rush. Means that games vary in length as well, which is fab.

I've also seen the bug where if comm leaves game the cc doesn't open,

The new hidey hole in crevice is a good addition but the invisible barrier should go. Being able to spy on flight through the glass would be nice even if you can't get in,

Flight control and pipe junction are really positive additions,

There should be some visual indication that destroyed powernodes can be rebuilt by marines, ie. dangling out of the socket as suggested,

Skulk jumping off walls is great, specially when combined with leap. giving a jump range bonus on walls might be a better incentive than proposed speed bonus, its very cool when u see a skulk jump from wall to ceiling but is very fidely/inconsistent,

Now we've got jumping can you make the crouch key to keep us permenantly stuck to walls, so we dont fall off accidently?

Overall, a great release its only a small bit of work but random starts have been the most exciting change for me gameplay wise, and I think with welding doors the gameplay will really start to mature.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Amazing performance boost in this patch, good job ! :) average 60 fps in-game all the time :)

p.s love random start location :)
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1887360:date=Nov 28 2011, 07:36 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 28 2011, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In regards to the "slow motion" some people have reported, according to Max that can probably happen if the server is running poorly. If the tick rate gets too low, the server will throw away the client input which could cause it to feel like things take longer. It should also feel kind of hitchy, but if you're just standing in one place firing your rifle you may not notice that. This could be some of the reasons people feel like the skulk movement was slowed down this patch, as well.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Isn't there a good solution to all slow servers for ns2, to not conflict the client itself performance?
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    edited November 2011
    I must say i like the new HUD.Especially the health/armor bars in the right bottom corner with the res showing over it (nice design and colours).The mini map in the left top corner should be and option for turning on and off.Maybe usefull if you have a very big screen.

Atmospheric lightning ist awesome.Makes the game very beautiful.

Randown spawns are very cool.More tactics and variety of gameplay.But spawns should be more far away from eachother otherwise it gets to much combat then classic.But cant say dont know how it behaves on really big maps.

Multiple commanders should stay ingame leastwise for aliens because creating and recreating cysts network alle the time while building structures and so on can be to much for one alien com.Maybe gives gorges the option to act as 2nd commander.

Whips are now what they should be.

New power system for marines is better then before.The gfx effect should be made more/stronger visible maybe in addition with some soft/pulsating/scfi/ambient sound as counterpart to dynamic infestation sounds.

New tram is better then before.Same for summit.

About performance i talked earlier in this thread.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1887494:date=Nov 29 2011, 04:17 PM:name=ubikjam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubikjam @ Nov 29 2011, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There should be some visual indication that destroyed powernodes can be rebuilt by marines, ie. dangling out of the socket as suggested<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, we actually have a new destroyed version of the power node, that is close to what you describe. We just didn't get a chance to hook it up in the code in time for the last patch, so currently the old destroyed power node model is still being used. This will be changed for the next patch.

--Cory
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887492:date=Nov 29 2011, 12:08 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Nov 29 2011, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had this sound bug as well today, a client restart helped though.

It didn't change the damage.
    But the damage types are bugged at the moment, which causes heavy imbalances. Very noticable on lerk spikes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, if you count the "air bullets" you shoot between the serious bullets, the damage has been reduced a lot.

My solution is to force myself not to click so fast(about one shot every 600 ms or so), and i dont get any "air bullets" at all.

A quick patchnote about this serverpatch would have been nice.
  • zippyzippy Forum Police. Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11956Members, Constellation
    it's unplayable atm, power nodes bug out making frenzy work. At which point marines change tactic and impossible for aliens to win.

Don't get me started on lerk hitboxes :)
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    impossible to win? o.0

Played for 6 staight hrs few days ago and it was like 3 alien wins to 1 marine wins :|
    half the time the aliens only win after a long drag till we got the teamwork to take out the marines.

Maybe u just played a few times with ###### team/awesome opposite side
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Bug in tram - the L shaped vent that connects 2 of the alien start areas doesn't let skulks exit at one end. You can go in from the huge room but can't get out into the other, smaller hive room.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1887728:date=Nov 30 2011, 05:20 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 30 2011, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bug in tram - the L shaped vent that connects 2 of the alien start areas doesn't let skulks exit at one end. You can go in from the huge room but can't get out into the other, smaller hive room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skulk wall walking physics has been messed up for a few months now. The extra padding space around the Skulk probably increased its size.

Even crouching Marines and Lerks have smaller physics model sizes, and can fit through vents and places where Skulks have to disable wall-walking to fit through.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    LOL random start locations. Finally after 2 years some sense was had.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1887772:date=Dec 1 2011, 07:44 PM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Dec 1 2011, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL random start locations. Finally after 2 years some sense was had.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The sense has always been there. The introduction of this concept at a later stage in development and release was the real genius!

Commanding in 188 is fantastic. It's been much improved.
    I really like this patch. The FPS is a bit of a drag..
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Hate to say this, but dont be a smart fulla, *where* is %appdata%?
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    Good work bumping a long-dead thread -__-
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908636:date=Mar 1 2012, 10:41 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 1 2012, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hate to say this, but dont be a smart fulla, *where* is %appdata%?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just type that in your explorer and you'll automatically navigated to the corresponding folder.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I think I'll close this one.
This discussion has been closed.