Skyrim!

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Hey!

Listen!

/me hides from Gem
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QS7CcTLdzLo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QS7CcTLdzLo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Laughing with tears.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Does anyone else think the giant one hit should just smash you in to the ground instead of making you fly like you're some sort of space man... in space?
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    the best one is 0:48-0:52
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1885853:date=Nov 20 2011, 06:38 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 20 2011, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The primary appeal of wizarding is that they're actually the most mobile characters.

Run around like a pansy and use flames to keep things set on fire, you don't need to keep firing it, just use it in bursts so the npc stays on fire, they burn to death fairly easily.

I went through about 20 levels using just flames, really, and burning everything to death, and running away all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have level ~35-40 imperial "mage". Before every tough battle I surround myself with atros and companions and then I proceed to spam dual cast fireball (staggers opponents). The only hard thing is not to hit your ###### companions because they can die from a single spell if something goes wrong.

When it comes to leveling skills it's just as stupid as in Oblivion - I kept spamming useless illusion spell on my companion (200-500 times total I think) to get to level 75 so I can get first useful spell - Invisibility.

Only thing that'd make me really angry would be if I couldn't max all skills even after absurd play time.

Anyway is there a mod that would fix annoying "HDR" tone mapping switches that happen every 0.5 s?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited November 2011
    Wizarding and mobility... feh! The mobility that Skyrim allows is NOTHING compared to Morrowind. Morrowind allowed you travel across cities by jumping from rooftop to rooftop once you had trained up the ability to do so. Skyrim has a small hop that'll get you over a waist-high obstruction and nothing more.

Athletics and acrobatics were first, then removed because people "don't want to grind running." And they never had to. The only change that was necessary was that in Morrowind, running consumed endurance, and in Oblivion it didn't. That was a good change. But it's not like someone who didn't "grind running" or jumping could only run at a snail's pace and couldn't jump at all.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Wait, what?

They removed the massive bouncy/floaty jump that I so love from the series?

I'm now starting to second guess buying it from D2D today...
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I already uninstalled.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I loved that in Oblivion. Leaping around from rooftop to rooftop like a putz. Many funs.

--Scythe--
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    so uuh after watching my buddy play I can assure you all that the horse Shadowmere is extremely gangster.

one main factor is the horse regenerates heath at a pretty rapid pace, so much so that groups of npc will attack it and it never dies.

My buddy has gone of some cliffs with it as well.

seems like the best non dungeon damage soak in the game I've seen so far
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I loved how in Morrowind your jump depended on your acrobatics skill and the weight you were carrying. As a result I had some climbing moments where I had to leave a few pillows behind just to reach some higher ledge. It felt like some higher science on more than a few occassions.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887008:date=Nov 26 2011, 07:23 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Nov 26 2011, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I loved that in Oblivion. Leaping around from rooftop to rooftop like a putz. Many funs.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oblivion was NOTHING compared to Morrowind. They nerfed the ###### out of acrobatics. And athletics. And speed. All so you couldn't jump over the walls of their ###### enclosed cities (which Morrowind never needed, despite the city of Vivec being bigger than anything seen in Oblivion) or outrun monsters/guards.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    edited November 2011
    On the plus side of things:

1. Oblivion had a 'no city walls' mod so there was no loading screen needed to walk into town and
    2. athletics and endurance can be modded in and
    3. jump spells lol

thus - it's doable in skyrim
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim" target="_blank">Entire Tamriel Landmass -built-into-skyrim</a>

Mind=blown.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9g_g7uYFWYw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9g_g7uYFWYw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><div align='center'><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_g7uYFWYw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_g7uYFWYw</a></div>
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Creation Kit — Beginning in January, PC players will be able to download the same development tools we used at Bethesda Game Studios to create Skyrim. In tandem with the Creation Kit’s release, we will roll out a new Wiki and videos to help you get started. It also features something we think you’re going to love…"

Cant wait!

Someone will have to create a Game of Thrones addon...
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886920:date=Nov 25 2011, 09:11 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Nov 25 2011, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I already uninstalled.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Shield Charge is quite ridiculous... I just knock down or stagger everything and than just smash some heads in... doesn't work on large enemies, but solo mobs aren't a real challenge either...
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888429:date=Dec 4 2011, 08:34 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Dec 4 2011, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shield Charge is quite ridiculous... I just knock down or stagger everything and than just smash some heads in... doesn't work on large enemies, but solo mobs aren't a real challenge either...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find that makes a little sense, since you're this dragon killing machine a lone bandit, no matter how well equipped, shouldn't give you trouble. You can just shout them, dual-destruction magic stagger them, shield stagger them, etc.

The problem is they come in groups most of the time, and while you can perma stagger one powerful guy you can't perma stagger /two/ of them.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSHvPJD_558"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSHvPJD_558" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1888474:date=Dec 5 2011, 08:38 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Dec 5 2011, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888474"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSHvPJD_558"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSHvPJD_558" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1709" target="_blank">http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1709</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1888459:date=Dec 5 2011, 05:08 AM:name=NeonSpyder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeonSpyder @ Dec 5 2011, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find that makes a little sense, since you're this dragon killing machine a lone bandit, no matter how well equipped, shouldn't give you trouble. You can just shout them, dual-destruction magic stagger them, shield stagger them, etc.

The problem is they come in groups most of the time, and while you can perma stagger one powerful guy you can't perma stagger /two/ of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can with shield charge. As long as you have some stamina left you can knoch down/stagger whole groups.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1888526:date=Dec 5 2011, 05:31 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Dec 5 2011, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888526"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can with shield charge. As long as you have some stamina left you can knoch down/stagger whole groups.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't met a lot of shield wielding mini-bosses but I remember one bandit captain who slapped me with shield-bash every time I got a bit near him (I'm using 2hand). It was the most annoying fight I've ever had. Literally every shield-bash staggered me and he could do it at the same speed of 1handed weapons strike, felt like he cheated stamina too. So I agree, shields are OP, especially when you get ones that "block XX% more damage". I wonder if you can enchant that to something ridiculous like 80% with max enchant, perks, enchanted equipment and enchant boosting pots?

On another note I don't get why some companions can die (Lydia) while others cannot (Mjoll).
    <!--quoteo(post=1888533:date=Dec 5 2011, 06:16 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Dec 5 2011, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't met a lot of shield wielding mini-bosses but I remember one bandit captain who slapped me with shield-bash every time I got a bit near him (I'm using 2hand). It was the most annoying fight I've ever had. Literally every shield-bash staggered me and he could do it at the same speed of 1handed weapons strike, felt like he cheated stamina too. So I agree, shields are OP, especially when you get ones that "block XX% more damage". I wonder if you can enchant that to something ridiculous like 80% with max enchant, perks, enchanted equipment and enchant boosting pots?

On another note I don't get why some companions can die (Lydia) while others cannot (Mjoll).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I think it works differently...

You have your armor, which absorbs x% of damage and your shield, which absorbs x damage +x% from perks and enchants.

So, lets say an ebony shield will absorb 40 damage, +25% from perks and your armor at 500 will absorb 70% damage.

If a hit does 100 damage that means that 50 damage is blocked by your shield, the remaining 50 will be reduced by 70% so you'll get hit for 15 damage.

I'm pretty sure this is not acurate but it kinda works that way, since you can completely block any damage from weak hitting mobs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1888542:date=Dec 5 2011, 06:59 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Dec 5 2011, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually I think it works differently...

You have your armor, which absorbs x% of damage and your shield, which absorbs x damage +x% from perks and enchants.

So, lets say an ebony shield will absorb 40 damage, +25% from perks and your armor at 500 will absorb 70% damage.

If a hit does 100 damage that means that 50 damage is blocked by your shield, the remaining 50 will be reduced by 70% so you'll get hit for 15 damage.

I'm pretty sure this is not acurate but it kinda works that way, since you can completely block any damage from weak hitting mobs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah yes the "block % more" perks, forgot about those, but I was talking about the enchanted shields that can FURTHER increases the amount of blocked damage (highest I've found had 35%) and how high you can get that % if you disenchant it and then buff your enchanting like mad to make another one with higher stats. It sounds theoretically possible to block 99% if you minmax everything (or more? Remember 100+% chameleon in oblivion).
    edited December 2011
    I mean that is true, but having +100% block doesn't mean you'll block 100% of damage. It just means your blocking base value increases by 100%... so instead of blocking 40 damage per block, you'll block 80.

At least that is how I understand that mechanic.

Shields = absolute value
    Armor = relative value

Edit:

Actually I think it subtracts armor first...

Damage from monster per hit: 100
    % reduction from armor: 50%
    # value from block: 50

If armor is calucated first:
    If you don't block: Get hit for 50 damage. (100 * 0.5 = 50)
    If you block: You'll get hit for nothing. (100 * 0.5 - 50 = 0)
    <!--quoteo(post=1888570:date=Dec 5 2011, 10:36 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Dec 5 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean that is true, but having +100% block doesn't mean you'll block 100% of damage. It just means your blocking base value increases by 100%... so instead of blocking 40 damage per block, you'll block 80.
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, I see now. That sounds better balanced.
    All I can tell you is that those "shields block X% more damage" enchantments become superfluous at high levels. After abandoning my first character I played a classic sowrd & board heavy armour fighter. By the time I retired her she was past level 40, full daedric, ebony shield, armour skill at 87 or so and block at 100. The only time she takes physical damage of any consequence is when she isn't blocking. Blocking basically renders her impervious to any physical attack.
    You'll want some kind of magic resist on your shield instead, because even with the 50% magic resist while blocking perk, magic damage is still far more likely to be an issue than physical damage.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    level 30 with full epic daedric armor set, all enchanted to do +35% damage for one handed. I don't even need a shield because everything dies in one hit from my epic daedric mace.
    No no no no. I didn't mean to turn this into an e-penis waving contest. I meant to provide an example that illustrates the merits of shield blocking.