Skyrim!

Comments

• konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Svenpa, I find I keep accidentally pressing Z and end up shouting at innocents because Z is sprint in another game of mine and I keep forgetting.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    so is the combat really clunky and boring in this like it was in oblivion?

Also,

Are the quests fun, or are they nothing more than go here and kill this thing or go here and bring me that thing?
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1885414:date=Nov 18 2011, 12:47 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Nov 18 2011, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so is the combat really clunky and boring in this like it was in oblivion?

Also,

Are the quests fun, or are they nothing more than go here and kill this thing or go here and bring me that thing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. There are a lot more options how to approach and engage a battle but the AI rarely does anything else than shoot arrows from a distance (if they have a bow) and swing wildly along with some blocks close up. Mages spam their spells with fearsome accuracy.

2. Most quests are go fetch but the interesting stuff is often overhearing people, reading books/journals and finding random humor in the dungeon/place. The best part for me is seeing NPCs enraging each other and duking it out with mixed results. That and shouting people off cliffs and tearing them apart as werewolf.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I've watched my flatmate shout some people of precipices it's glorious

Any nudges thou on class? I was thinking trying to do full magic.

Any protips please???

This game is basically going to be the time sink that I use when I'm on call and have to pause and put whatever I'm doing away.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885401:date=Nov 17 2011, 10:10 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Nov 17 2011, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else whom usually sheath your weapons as you enter unknown camps and forts because you see normal people doing nothing in particular and as soon as you get close enough everyone drops whatever they are doing and proceeds to try and make you dead? I don't want an imperial bounty just because I accidentally sneak attacked someone crafting stuff :(

The worst thing with a bounty isn't paying it off with blood or gold, it's that they ALWAYS take all your stolen ###### as well. Stupid guards and their item hivemind. I don't suppose they only take stolen stuff which was taken within their own area? It's global right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you kill all the witnesses the bounty goes away.

Admittedly this may result in you having to wipe out an entire garrison.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885426:date=Nov 18 2011, 03:27 AM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Nov 18 2011, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've watched my flatmate shout some people of precipices it's glorious

Any nudges thou on class? I was thinking trying to do full magic.

Any protips please???

This game is basically going to be the time sink that I use when I'm on call and have to pause and put whatever I'm doing away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As with all characters you'll want to make sure you keep your fighting abilities on par. With a full mage this would entail (imho at least): Destruction magic (make sure you invest in some damage perks as well), Alteration (so you can get armour spells cast on yourself, to make up for those mage robes that lack armour rating), and restoration so you can heal yourself (this school also has a ward spell, but that is one you have to continually keep up rather than cast once for a duration).
    ... As an alternative to destruction, you could look into Conjuration (you can summon daemons and undead to your aid, and can use spells to summon a weapon). not sure what is best though - I went a spellsword rather than fullmage, so I simply don't have the experience to tell you.

Some interesting perks you might want to look at: Restoration has one (at 40 and 60 iirc) that increases your magicka regeneration by 25% and then 50%. Quite good little bonus. Alteration has a very late one that lets you absorb magicka from spells that hit you - also ones along the way that make you more resilient to magick and boosts your shield spells. Destruction has a lot of extra damage perks (which you will definitely want to invest in to some extent, if you go with destruction for your damage output).

Other than that: you should know that your base magicka regeneration depends on your maximum magicka (think I read 3% somewhere), so it's also important you have a good amount of magicka reserves. A small sidenote: you do not regen magicka when you have a spell charged and ready to cast. Finally, as for race, it seems the High Elves (Altmer) would be the best race for an allout mage - they get +50 magicka, have small initial bonusses to all the magic schools, and their daily power is vastly improved magicka regen.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Other good mage races are breton and argonian.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    Argonian simply because of 'lizard wizard' :P?
    The problem with shouting people off of precipices and cliffs is... THEY DON'T DIE!?! What the hell?! That was a 100 foot drop!
    <!--quoteo(post=1885448:date=Nov 18 2011, 01:14 PM:name=Dirty_Harry_Potter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirty_Harry_Potter @ Nov 18 2011, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Argonian simply because of 'lizard wizard' :P?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. I just made a lizard wizard because that's what I felt like. Then Monkfish was like "what are you playing" and I'm like "a mostly wizardy character" and he's like "a lizard wizard?" and I'm like "yeah" and he's like ":3" and now everyone else here is also like ":3" and I'm slowly becoming aware that apparently I stepped in some meme?

Switching topic, I shouted a guy off a cliff and according to his health bar he took no damage. But after I safely climbed down I found him dead anyway. So I guess falling damage doesn't update the health bar of enemies? Maybe that's the source of your troubles, konata.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. I went Sneak/Dual wield (One-Handed)/Archery/Light Armor and although it got hard around level 10-15, it feels pretty smooth now around level 28. I guess the dagger back stab perk (15x damage) coupled with double damage gloves (total of 30x) is kind of overpowered though.

I kind of miss the "Perception" stat in Fallout 3 a little though, as it would help in situations like Svenpa described. It got better with time as I can now sneak very close to those unknown targets and find out what they are. Other than that, the AI isn't great but I can live with that. I just find it silly that if a bandit gets an arrow in the neck and doesn't die, he'll eventually give up, go back to his post and relax.

As for the side quests, I didn't find the Companions that interesting, but the Thieve's Guild was alright and I'm deep into the Dark Brotherhood now and it sounds very promising. I like how some assassinations are dynamic and require some more thoughts to pull them off right and get the bonus.

And something maybe in partial spoiler category: <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I kind of dislike the idea of becoming the leader of very damned guild in Skyrim. I mean, seriously, who can be a worse leader than someone who will probably never come back to check up on the guild? I'd rather name someone else in charge but have a respectable position in the guild or something. Right now it just feels like I'm letting them all down because I'm moving on.</span>
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I bit the bullet- I like it!

Is there any easy key combo to use both hands for a one-handed weapon? Whenever I select a skill such as the heal it puts that in my off hand, and the only way to get both hands back on the swod (so I can block) is to turn off the heal, turn off the sword, then equip the sword.

(Two-handed swords have no style!)
    You should just be able to turn off the spell and then you can block again. What happens if you press the key assigned to the now empty hand?
    <!--quoteo(post=1885497:date=Nov 18 2011, 06:12 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 18 2011, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should just be able to turn off the spell and then you can block again. What happens if you press the key assigned to the now empty hand?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If my main hand is my sword and my off hand is a spell, pressing the spell button again removes the sword and gives two hands of the same spell.
    <!--quoteo(post=1885498:date=Nov 18 2011, 06:18 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Nov 18 2011, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If my main hand is my sword and my off hand is a spell, pressing the spell button again removes the sword and gives two hands of the same spell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Assuming you're playing it on the PC, the right mouse button assigns to the left hand, and vice versa.

It's kinda dumb I know, but it means that LMB is right hand, which is the one you always use for weapons, while the RMB controls your shield arm.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Philosiraptor ftw.
    Yeah, I've switched the two around. It means that I attack with RMB and block with LMB now, which is a bit counter-intuitive, but when I was using spells a lot trying to remember that LMB sets and activates the RIGHT spells and vice versa was just too much of a hassle.

If you're holding a spell in your left hand and a weapon in your right hand, clicking the button bound to left hand on the spell again will remove it, emptying the hand and allowing you to block again. If that doesn't work you're doing something wrong.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1885638:date=Nov 18 2011, 05:37 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 18 2011, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I've switched the two around. It means that I attack with RMB and block with LMB now, which is a bit counter-intuitive, but when I was using spells a lot trying to remember that LMB sets and activates the RIGHT spells and vice versa was just too much of a hassle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is the primary reason I got out my Xbox controller. I realized that the controls in these games are just not tuned for PC. I have been much happier since.
    edited November 2011
    I realize this isn't exactly a twitch shooter, but seriously? You'd rather plug in a controller than swap two keybindings? In a first person game?
    <!--quoteo(post=1885638:date=Nov 19 2011, 03:37 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 19 2011, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're holding a spell in your left hand and a weapon in your right hand, clicking the button bound to left hand on the spell again will remove it, emptying the hand and allowing you to block again. If that doesn't work you're doing something wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I might be confusing myself, tell me what I'm doing wrong:

- My one-handed sword is hotkeyed to 1
    - My heal to 2

- I'm wielding my 1H sword with both hands. I take damage so I have to heal
    - I press 2. My off hand switches to heal
    - I heal up with RMB

Now;

* Pressing 2 again will make both hands have the heal; pressing 1 after this will go back to sword+heal
    * Pressing 1 will unequip the sword in the main hand and replace it with my fist
    Hotkeyed?

I didn't realise skyrim did hotkeys?

I've been selecting things off the favorite menu.
    <!--quoteo(post=1885713:date=Nov 19 2011, 04:16 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 19 2011, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hotkeyed?

I didn't realise skyrim did hotkeys?

I've been selecting things off the favorite menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Highlight the item on the favourite menu and press a key =3
    edited November 2011
    Yeah I've just been using the favourites menu. But considering that I'm using a sword & board setup, hotkeys should work for me just fine.

<strike>Also, I think I remember that you can also set off-hand hotkeys. Hold down shift + number. So with your weapon & spell setup, you should be able to set your healing spell to offhand-2 and then toggle it by hitting 2?</strike>

Edit: No, doesn't work.
    Using the favourites menu instead of hotkeying has advantages, such as thinking time.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Since someone complained about it in this thread:

I've seen an NPC guard get picked up by a swooping dragon and just dropped from midair. It looked awesome.

It was less awesome when the dragon did it to me and I died instantly due to its powerful grip. If I were a fighter with HP instead of a squishy wizard I might not have been insta killed which would have been *epic* when I flew through the air after.

I've also never been hurled into the air by a giant, but oh my god it's happened to my Lydia about 5 times. IN THE SAME BATTLE!
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1885728:date=Nov 19 2011, 06:43 PM:name=NeonSpyder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeonSpyder @ Nov 19 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since someone complained about it in this thread:

I've seen an NPC guard get picked up by a swooping dragon and just dropped from midair. It looked awesome.

It was less awesome when the dragon did it to me and I died instantly due to its powerful grip. If I were a fighter with HP instead of a squishy wizard I might not have been insta killed which would have been *epic* when I flew through the air after.

I've also never been hurled into the air by a giant, but oh my god it's happened to my Lydia about 5 times. IN THE SAME BATTLE!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yay @ picked up :D

You never been hurled into the air by a giant? That's like, their primary attack, but double strangely enough, I've never had a companion launched into orbit. I thought it was because companions generally can't die to NPCs and thus giants never get to punch em into the sky.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1885687:date=Nov 19 2011, 03:36 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 19 2011, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I realize this isn't exactly a twitch shooter, but seriously? You'd rather plug in a controller than swap two keybindings? In a first person game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The game just doesn't seem to be made for PC controls. The movement feels clunky or sluggish to me, as does the aiming/looking around. Switching to a controller removed a lot of my frustration with the game. I didn't have to deal with swapped bindings and the sluggish controller masks the sluggish movement.
    I wouldn't play half-life or call of duty on a controller because they both have PC-tuned controls. (Though Halo and Mass Effect are middle of the road on this...)
    <!--quoteo(post=1885733:date=Nov 19 2011, 08:15 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Nov 19 2011, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game just doesn't seem to be made for PC controls. The movement feels clunky or sluggish to me, as does the aiming/looking around. Switching to a controller removed a lot of my frustration with the game. I didn't have to deal with swapped bindings and the sluggish controller masks the sluggish movement.
    I wouldn't play half-life or call of duty on a controller because they both have PC-tuned controls. (Though Halo and Mass Effect are middle of the road on this...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To continue: It's all about playing the game the way it was designed to be played, and to me it feels like this game was designed to be played with a controller, not a mouse and keyboard.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    After mulling it over I restarted with a new character: another sneaky type but this time more focussed. I recently got my hands on the bound weapon spells (swords for now) on conjuration and holy heckles! It does twice the damage of my orc swords :o I hear the bound bow is super powerful too, something equivalent to a daedric bow with daedric arrows. Best of all the bow also comes with it's own arrows when you summon it so you essentially have infinite ammo :D

Only downside is that if you sheathe the bound weapons for any reason then you need to resummon them again when you want them back.

I also bought some ward spells as the only thing giving me major trouble last run was spellcasters. With the ward I was able to wander up to a dragon mid-breath without taking damage before proceeding to saw its face off with the ghostly, blue, glowing bound blade in my other hand. It died pretty fast :3

I'm only level 8 but I already feel considerably more competent than my old level 14 character.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <a href="http://www.thedailyblink.com/2011/11/when-skyrim-meets-wow/" target="_blank">http://www.thedailyblink.com/2011/11/when-skyrim-meets-wow/</a>

xD