Surprise! Veil re-make

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    ^ RIGHT?!
    First time i saw this i was like "dude, you gotta screenshot this and share it with the world"
    <i>most beautiful room i've seen in the spark engine thus far.</i> it actually is a shame when there's infestation on it lol.
    Plays well too, for all those concerned! (from what we can tell so far in the play tests)
    keep raising the bar, man
    :)
  • Who is Mike Jones?Who is Mike Jones? Join Date: 2011-10-29 Member: 130080Members
    edited April 2012
    This map is really coming together. It flows nicely.

The giant plain walls in double were an eye sore since the whole map is covered in detail. I have a personal thing with seeing to much of a texture.

Cargo is really nice. I love the open concept.

I seen some areas where textures or props look out of place. Its hard to stop and play Twitch for some reason. It constantly starts form the beginning again for me, so its hard to come up with any good crit.

The hallways from MS to Topo were a little dark and cluttered. I like the original lighting that you did which was bright. I felt it would of been a good transition since Topo is a haven for getting ambushed.

Pipe line I feel needs maybe a little more orange and red lighting. The blue and green is a little much when there is infestation. I like the feeling of it looking damp and wet but I just would like to see a few more hints of colors in there. So you feel you are still on the same map. 70% of your rooms have some hint of an orange tone that when you are in pipeline you lose the feel of the map. (Same with Topo.)

Again I will be able to give a little more crit when I can actually play it but good job and keep up the work. I can't imagine the amount of time you donated to make this map possible for some of us old NS players and I wanted to thank you.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1925670:date=Apr 15 2012, 12:18 PM:name=Who is Mike Jones?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Who is Mike Jones? @ Apr 15 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This map is really coming together. It flows nicely.

The giant plain walls in double were an eye sore since the whole map is covered in detail. I have a personal thing with seeing to much of a texture.

Cargo is really nice. I love the open concept.

I seen some areas where textures or props look out of place. Its hard to stop and play Twitch for some reason. It constantly starts form the beginning again for me, so its hard to come up with any good crit.

The hallways from MS to Topo were a little dark and cluttered. I like the original lighting that you did which was bright. I felt it would of been a good transition since Topo is a haven for getting ambushed.

Pipe line I feel needs maybe a little more orange and red lighting. The blue and green is a little much when there is infestation. I like the feeling of it looking damp and wet but I just would like to see a few more hints of colors in there. So you feel you are still on the same map. 70% of your rooms have some hint of an orange tone that when you are in pipeline you lose the feel of the map. (Same with Topo.)

Again I will be able to give a little more crit when I can actually play it but good job and keep up the work. I can't imagine the amount of time you donated to make this map possible for some of us old NS players and I wanted to thank you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some good crit. I've made some headway on C-12 some I'm probably going to start detailing on the side. I think without a complete picture of the map (that twitch thing IS really annoying mate) it's harder to judge. Agreed with almost all of your points.
  • Mr.InTeLeXMr.InTeLeX Join Date: 2009-09-08 Member: 68720Members
    Awesome map you made there. I also have some suggestion for you. :)

I really agreed with how "Who is Mike Jones?" crit'd your map, especially about the nano things. I'm suggesting that you should put some seriously hi-tech props in that part of the map. NS nano never feels right to me because despite its hi-tech name and 2 node, the room seems like a normal and very generic room. There should be something interesting and looks really impressive as nano is the only mighty tech-point with 2 node. A room as important as that should looks important enough to a point that it looks like the main source of power for the entire map. (It's already that important, gameplay-wise)

Keep up the good work. :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pipe line I feel needs maybe a little more orange and red lighting. The blue and green is a little much when there is infestation. I like the feeling of it looking damp and wet but I just would like to see a few more hints of colors in there. So you feel you are still on the same map. 70% of your rooms have some hint of an orange tone that when you are in pipeline you lose the feel of the map. (Same with Topo.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This. Both areas do look great, hopefully you can add in some more "veil" lighting to both those areas so it still reminiscent of the original map in those areas. Although I do like your additions to both areas, hopefully there is a way to mix them well ^^
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BTW I almost forgot.

Gratulation! Official! Whooohoooo!
    <!--quoteo(post=1929718:date=Apr 25 2012, 02:44 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Apr 25 2012, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTW I almost forgot.

Gratulation! Official! Whooohoooo!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks. We made it, guys!
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    good ###### man been following since early days, you earned it! Can't wait to fire it up.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Maybe i'm out of the loop but which build is veil planned to be shipped with?

B207 would make me a VERY VERY HAPPY panda :D
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1929832:date=Apr 25 2012, 06:54 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Apr 25 2012, 06:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks. We made it, guys!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? They confirmed this going to be official map when its final? Big news, well done.

I already played it, was pretty close to the original. I like how all these great maps are being remade by talented mappers.

Maybe we see a follow up by tanith and eclipse too.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I think it's fair to say everyone is dying to play it.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    Awesome! In which build will it be included?
    There is one map that will be coming out before Veil. I can't say anything more than that, it's not set in stone yet.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Oooh, so the teaser for docking means it's ready :)

Will the maps appear in successive builds or will there be a little acclimitisation period first?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1930372:date=Apr 26 2012, 09:33 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Apr 26 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oooh, so the teaser for docking means it's ready :)

Will the maps appear in successive builds or will there be a little acclimitisation period first?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure they'll appear as soon as they're finished.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Astonishing work Fmpone! You really don't "beat the air" when giving advices to others. Just out of curiosity, what is your "background"? Do you have some kind of art degree? What were your past projects? I don't think that NS2 is you first mapping experience :-)
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Yo if you updated the original post with pictures it'd be nice.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait to go to the hungry onos! Also veil will be the best thin ever
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1930508:date=Apr 26 2012, 08:43 PM:name=Rudy.cz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudy.cz @ Apr 26 2012, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Astonishing work Fmpone! You really don't "beat the air" when giving advices to others. Just out of curiosity, what is your "background"? Do you have some kind of art degree? What were your past projects? I don't think that NS2 is you first mapping experience :-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks. I try not to be too harsh giving advise, actually I try not to give advise at all, just a friendly word. Naturally I fail a lot.

My background is writing, so perhaps some kind of art background there. I previously worked on a map called DoD_Anemia <a href="http://www.lanmaniax.com/maps/html/dod_anemia.htm" target="_blank">http://www.lanmaniax.com/maps/html/dod_anemia.htm</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1930536:date=Apr 26 2012, 09:45 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Apr 26 2012, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yo if you updated the original post with pictures it'd be nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll do that! Thanks
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Looks very exciting and nostalgic, I cannot wait to play it in future builds! It will be interesting to see how NS1 layouts work in NS2.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    So if i understand it right, ns2_docking(the only other map i know of that is nearly ready for release) will come out <u>before</u> veil? But you also have time to work on ns2_spines now?

=> This means veil is mostly ready, tho you are waiting for some special props(or more performance improvements?) to release it to the public... ?

Nice nice!
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    You deserve one of the first Gorge plushies for this!
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932119:date=Apr 30 2012, 11:51 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Apr 30 2012, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You deserve one of the first Gorge plushies for this!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there are going to be gorge plushies?!
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    looks awesome

that "octagon shaped" room looks amazing
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    Correct me if im wrong and im not trying to be critical here, but the ns1 look to the map just feels so warm ? As in lighting effects and possibly the density of the colors.

The ns2 version somewhat feels cold and sterile.

But either way awesome i cant way to play it, have all the good ns1 memories rush back :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1934339:date=May 8 2012, 12:07 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ May 8 2012, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Correct me if im wrong and im not trying to be critical here, but the ns1 look to the map just feels so warm ? As in lighting effects and possibly the density of the colors.

The ns2 version somewhat feels cold and sterile.

But either way awesome i cant way to play it, have all the good ns1 memories rush back :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dunno from what you're judging. It's possible. The map definitely has a more creepy vibe than the original.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Any chance we could get some screenshots of the last rooms, or are those still being worked on?
    Probably not, just to keep it a bit more fresh for you guys later on.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    build 20X ???

secret room?

^^

very impressiv work !!!
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    It's end of May ... will we see the map in B210 (probably next week) ?

O know that you want to make this map so good ... maybe wider audience should help (like with summit) in this stage :D :D :D