Right now, marines seem somewhat similar in ability to human players on other games. Given the kharra's amazing uniqueness among FPS/RTS games, I'd like to see the marine players be given something that makes them stand out a bit more.
Marines would get the option to choose a specialty, which is an increased trait at the expense of other trait(s). You could only have one specialty, which could either help the team or the player. As the specialty levels up, the trait would improve more noticeably (along with the expense increasing). Specialty could be changed at any time, although it would reset to level 0. Specialty would be cleared when the round starts.
A few example specialties (just to get people thinking):
- Geologist: Increases nearby harvester performance at the expense of personal speed
- Economist: Decreases nearby cost of building structures at the expense of personal res income and armor
- Nutritionist: Increases nearby player health at the expense of having a rifle weapon (pistol/axe only)
- Athlete: Increases max health at the expense of receiving as fast healing from medpack and armory
- Ninja: Increases axe damage and quiets footsteps at the expense of all other weapon damage.
How a specialty levels up is up for discussion as well. I could be unique per specialty, automatically increase over time, or have to be purchased with res.