Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I dont like the words croach, creep and such, I think that infestation is a good name tbh. If ppl need to type it short, they can just say DI.

But I suppose that an option would be Khaara bacterium.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Growth is better, as said in the other thread, croach sounds like crotch, I prefer using actual words for things when possible.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2011
    Kharaa plague
    plague

maybe? :s it does cause marines to run slower on it
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1851561:date=Jun 10 2011, 11:07 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jun 10 2011, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont like the words croach, creep and such, I think that infestation is a good name tbh. If ppl need to type it short, they can just say DI.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • Eletro BullEletro Bull Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101560Members
    edited June 2011
    I researched the word "croach", the word croach does not exist in the english dictionary but there is a result in an urban dictionary here: <a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Croach" target="_blank">http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Croach</a>

I don't think it'll be wise to use that word.

I then searched "Infestation" through a thesaurus I got this result:

Main Entry: blight
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: disease; plague
    Synonyms: affliction, bane, blot on the landscape, canker, contamination, corruption, curse, decay, dump, evil, eyesore, fungus, infestation , mildew, pest, pestilence, pollution, rot, scourge, sight, withering, woe
    Antonyms: blessing, boon, health, prosperity

Main Entry: plague
    Definition: disease that is widespread
    Synonyms: affliction, contagion, curse, epidemic, hydra, infection, infestation , influenza, invasion, outbreak, pandemic, pestilence, rash, ravage, scourge

I feel blight and plague are overused and that Infestation is a four syllable word, which can be a mouthful at times. In this instance I would pick Scourge because it links to both blight and plague, but also infestation. On the plus side it's one syllable.

On to the definition of the word "Scourge"

<b>scourge</b>
       [skurj] <b><i>noun, verb,</i> scourged, scourg·ing.</b>

<i>noun</i>
    1. a whip or lash, especially for the infliction of punishment or torture.

2. a person or thing that applies or administers punishment or severe criticism.

3. a cause of affliction or calamity: Disease and famine are scourges of humanity.

<i>verb</i> (used with object)
    4. to whip with a scourge; lash.

5. to punish, chastise, or criticize severely.

Hence I think the word scourge is quite fitting.
  • Jschmuck2Jschmuck2 Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103641Members
    I'd also pick blight if I had to pick something else.

Also: I'm new - nice to be here :)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851578:date=Jun 10 2011, 02:41 PM:name=Eletro Bull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eletro Bull @ Jun 10 2011, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation is a three syllable word<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

acchh, <i>noooooo</i>

my word to be thrown on the table is GOOP. it sounds funny. it sounds like something that would come from a funny gorge. it sounds like something you wouldn't want to step in. Hell, it even sounds like the graphic for DI!

Therefor, LET THERE BE GOOP.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2011
    Yes but that's a good thing that these words are "overused". It allows us to reference what it is, without describing what the "Scourge" is. I like Blight also, pretty good. I think of more darkish stuff though not a green tint.

offtopic// Hopefully UWE makes this "infestation" look good!!!!!!!!! (Atleast make it better than Zerg creep - PLZ! *It has slow waves/ripples to it and bubbles*)
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    edited June 2011
    -1 for Croach

<b>Suggestions:</b>

<b>Hypha</b> (plural hyphae)

<i>A hypha (plural hyphae) is a long, branching filamentous structure of a fungus, and also of unrelated Actinobacteria.[1] In most fungi, hyphae are the main mode of vegetative growth, and are collectively called a mycelium</i>

<b>Mycelium</b> (plural mycelia)

<i>Mycelium (plural mycelia) is the vegetative part of a fungus, consisting of a mass of branching, thread-like hyphae. The mass of hyphae is sometimes called shiro, especially within the fairy ring fungi. Fungal colonies composed of mycelia are found in soil and on or within many other substrates. A typical single spore germinates into a homokaryotic mycelium, which cannot reproduce sexually; when two compatible homokaryotic mycelia join and form a dikaryotic mycelium, that mycelium may form fruiting bodies such as mushrooms. A mycelium may be minute, forming a colony that is too small to see, or it may be extensive:

Is this the largest organism in the world? This 2,400-acre (9.7 km2) site in eastern Oregon had a contiguous growth of mycelium before logging roads cut through it. Estimated at 1,665 football fields in size and 2,200 years old, this one fungus has killed the forest above it several times over, and in so doing has built deeper soil layers that allow the growth of ever-larger stands of trees. Mushroom-forming forest fungi are unique in that their mycelial mats can achieve such massive proportions.
    —Paul Stamets, Mycelium Running

It is through the mycelium that a fungus absorbs nutrients from its environment. It does this in a two-stage process. First, the hyphae secrete enzymes onto or into the food source, which break down biological polymers into smaller units such as monomers. These monomers are then absorbed into the mycelium by facilitated diffusion and active transport.</i>

<b>Reasoning:</b>

I figured:

* The "Infestation" is (often) large

* The "Infestation" is spreading

* The "Infestation" is living

* The "Infestation" is hard to get rid off

* The "Infestation" supports buildings and regenerates health for both rooted as well as mobile lifeforms (feeds buildings/players)

* e.g. a Crag can "pop up" as mushrooms on the Hypha/Mycelium/Infestation fairly quickly

* The "Infestation" feeds on it's surroundings, as in cutting the power and/or "Infesting" powerlines and powergenerators (e.g. Hive @ "build complete" ripping up the floor to get to the powersource underneath it (tech point))

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypha" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypha</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium</a>

Any comments?:)
    Here is a quote from the wiki for ns2, hopefully this will help your creativity guise.

"The Khaara creatures themselves did not start from bacteria, various alien creatures were "infected" by this alien infestation, which evolves and mutates the creatures into what is referred to as the Khaara. It evolved them to be better fighters, builders, and lovers (you should see the amount of women the gorge gets). So, spike claws to walk on walls, or slash through armor, or spikes that can shoot from tubes on the side of the head.

Evolving armor is a natural step in the mutation, especially after years of encounters with the marines. This starts as small bone bits that break through the surface of the skin and form into little bone clusters. In specific areas of vulnerability these continue to spread and grow and build up to form into larger bone plates that serve as armor."

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Aliens" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Aliens</a>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2011
    Scourge is a nice word, but it's too formal here (remember, the stuff is supposed to be like something a marine came up with to describe it immediately on seeing it). How about just "goo"? Or "mold".
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Infestation is fine with me.
    not a fan of Croach.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I like infestation. Croach sounds weird.
  • LeonLeon Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58131Members
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851600:date=Jun 10 2011, 03:54 PM:name=Leon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Leon @ Jun 10 2011, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Muck.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Arbok.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    How about growth? <i>"Can we get some growth over here?"</i>, <i>"The alien growth is everywhere"</i>...just a thought. Also I like infestation.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Oh also I like croach. I was just throwing an idea out there because everybody else was. Really it doesn't matter what it's called to me.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    edited June 2011
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_tissue" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_tissue</a>

Looking at the wiki I got the idea of Epidermis. Playing around with this you could get Epiderm or dermis? This made sense to me because it is the outer-most layer of skin (in this case infestation.)

Also, Xylem is short and makes some sense.

In reference to pustles, we should call the veins that connect them "Vericose Veins"

Lastly,
    Main Entry: lamina
    Definition: skin
    Synonyms: bark, carapace, case, casing, coating, crust, cutis, derma, dermis, epidermis , fell, film, fur, hide, hull, husk, integument, jacket, membrane, outside, parchment, peel, pelt, rind, sheath, sheathing, shell, shuck, slough, surface, tegument, vellum

One I like that most will know is Membrane.
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    <b><u>Descent</u></b>

It can mean:

A sudden visit or attack; an onslaught
    A downward incline or passage; a slope
    A decline or degeneration
    Hereditary derivation; lineage
    One generation of a specific lineage

It fits the Natural Selection theme perfectly.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited June 2011
    I prefer "Infestation" over "Croach". It sounds like a couch that drunk/stoned people crash on (And encroachment, but mostly a couch). I will probably end up calling it creep half the time anyway, but blight sounds okay. You're still ripping off Blizzard, but at least you haven't used as much from Warcraft III.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    yeah, i'm not really fan of "croach". I don't really know what's wrong with the word infestation. It sounds fine to me. Just call it infest or DI for short.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Also don't forget you need a distinct verbal form of the word.

For example.

Infestation - noun 'Infestation here' meaning that there is a quantity of the stuff present.

Infest - verb 'infest here' meaning that you need infestation to be placed in the area.

Croach being a made up word doesn't have a verbal form.

Whereas growth has grow, another reason why it's better.
  • CowTsignCowTsign Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36215Members
    I prefer Infestation to Croach.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1851641:date=Jun 10 2011, 05:20 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 10 2011, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also don't forget you need a distinct verbal form of the word.

For example.

Infestation - noun 'Infestation here' meaning that there is a quantity of the stuff present.

Infest - verb 'infest here' meaning that you need infestation to be placed in the area.

Whereas growth has grow, another reason why it's better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Croach" isn't made-up, it's a shortened version of "encroach," which means "to intrude" / "advance gradually in a way that causes damage"

that... pretty much nails Infestation, don't you think? It totally sounds like a military or other working guy to come up with a nickname for that ugly 'croaching sh*t that gets all over your shoes and gums up the machinery.

I kinda like it.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Croach sounds like Crotch to me.. 0_o
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851641:date=Jun 10 2011, 05:20 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 10 2011, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also don't forget you need a distinct verbal form of the word.

For example.

Whereas growth has grow, another reason why it's better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would keep infestation. It fits gameplay-wise, it fits as an easy to understand word and is easy to use in sentences.
    + all the promotion about dynamic INFESTATION is going down the drain otherwise
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1851675:date=Jun 11 2011, 01:52 AM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Jun 11 2011, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Croach sounds like Crotch to me.. 0_o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this man
  • FrostFire626FrostFire626 Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63207Members
    Croach sounds pretty darn weird to me. Hard to find a more appropriate word than infestation though.