NS2 design decision log

Comments

• WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited November 2011
    Please don't remove bile bomb, at least until the other aliens have valid anti-structure weapons. It's already a pain to try and take down sentry farms.

I also don't really like the speed decrease for marines on infestation. I feel like it's a huge disadvantage for them - it makes it a lot harder to evade skulks. Infestation takes so long to die off that it's not really a valid tactic to destroy it before pushing forward.

I feel like the aliens should get regen within a short distance of the infestation, rather than being required to stand directly on it. This would allow skulks on the walls and celling to regen within alien territory. Perhaps just make it that the aliens are required to sit still and not move, or if they do sit still then regen will be quicker (as right now it's often better to just run back to the hive).
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I'm for faster Belly Slide speed while on infestation. The Gorge would be just as slow while walking, but better at maneuvering/escaping while on home turf.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    what about a bile bomb that is a temporary "turret disabling" infection that grows to X size from where the bomb lands? needing to be accurate for a distance anti structure weapon is imbalanced considering the GLs are the furthest thing from accuracy, you can lob them over objects, around areas, they have splash damage, and you are armed with a lot of them. the bile bomb has none of these attributes so lets give it a structure specific one that is in the same style as what he already does? (spreading the chaos!)
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited November 2011
    From NS1 to NS2, spit fire rate was reduced by 25% and damage was reduced by 20%. I've been wondering if this change was intentional or just an oversight. Either way, it might be a good idea to consider making some adjustments to spit that will improve the gorge's combat effectiveness.

Healing other players can also take too long, especially when armor 3 researched. This is really a problem with all forms of healing - not just healspray. Since healing scales with max health, and armor heals at half the rate, there's too much importance placed on the health / armor ratio of the target. The health / armor ratio should be used for adjusting weaknesses to damage types. Trying to juggle damage weaknesses and healing rates is probably going to be a nightmare. Either make armor heal at the same rate as health, or incorporate armor into the scaling factor.

It might be a bit early to scrap bile bomb. I just don't see how whips can be used offensively if they require infestation to survive. Also, won't a single ARC totally destroy them before they get close enough to do damage?
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    That's surprising, considering all the guns I've checked have received a hefty DPS upgrade, presumably to offset the way armour works now (or did it always work like this with damage types? I don't remember anything like that in NS1 though).
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really really love the UI Mockup :) It's looks stunning!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice evolution of the old ui style.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/images/ns/screenshots/ns-hera.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/images/ns/scr...ots/ns-hera.jpg</a>

Although the map should be semi transparent and maybe have the death notifications below the map. The upper left hand corner is a bit out of the way.

Other than that it's looking pretty impressive.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    New HUD looks gorgeous.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It's not the real thing (yet), mind you.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    The new HUD is looking great. I can't wait to see the effects applied to it. I really hope they focus on making it look like an extension of the marines helmet. It would fit in with the model very well. Could even have the effects distorted by being attacked or have the hud start to become really statiticy around sensory chambers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1884269:date=Nov 8 2011, 12:35 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Nov 8 2011, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new HUD is looking great. I can't wait to see the effects applied to it. I really hope they focus on making it look like an extension of the marines helmet. It would fit in with the model very well. Could even have the effects distorted by being attacked or have the hud start to become really statiticy around sensory chambers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really don't think we need to arbitrarily muddle marine information/notifications to provide atmosphere.
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    Nice work on the mockup, but I think that it is to busy. Huds should really be quite minimal. Obviously thats hard to do with a mini-map, but it can be done on the rest of the HUD. I would say change the container for the tech messaged in the upper left hand corner, compacting them down. Also decrease the size of the tech unlock message. The container texture just looks to busy. Will it be possible to implement a hud scaling feature as an option?

My idea for the HUD, if I were to start from scratch, would be to stack all the hud elements into the lower right hand corner. I'll try to do a simple mockup but here is the best description I have. Essentially, stick the mini-map in the lower right hand corner. Under that, stack the health and armor, leave the stamina (I assume thats what that other bar is) where it is but squish it up against the right side of the map and the edge of the window. Above the mini-map you could have tech-unlock/ messages shoot up similar to a steam notification, or just have a running list that fade out after a while. Along the left side vertically, you could have resource icons with their respective value, and possibly tech tree status icons. You could probably fit the commander name in somewhere. Having all the information in one space is my style and what I prefer.

Is it possible to do a scaleform style 3D hud? Those always look very visually appealing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1884271:date=Nov 8 2011, 12:40 PM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 8 2011, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice work on the mockup, but I think that it is to busy. Huds should really be quite minimal. Obviously thats hard to do with a mini-map, but it can be done on the rest of the HUD. I would say change the container for the tech messaged in the upper left hand corner, compacting them down. Also decrease the size of the tech unlock message. The container texture just looks to busy.

My idea for the HUD, if I were to start from scratch, would be to stack all the hud elements into the lower right hand corner. I'll try to do a simple mockup but here is the best description I have. Essentially, stick the mini-map in the lower right hand corner. Under that, stack the health and armor, leave the stamina (I assume thats what that other bar is) where it is but squish it up against the right side of the map and the edge of the window. Above the mini-map you could have tech-unlock/ messages shoot up similar to a steam notification, or just have a running list that fade out after a while. Along the left side vertically, you could have resource icons with their respective value, and possibly tech tree status icons. You could probably fit the commander name in somewhere. Having all the information in one space is my style and what I prefer.

Is it possible to do a scaleform style 3D hud? Those always look very visually appealing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem with condensing large amounts of hud information into one space or one part of the screen is that it creates a HUD blind-spot that enemy players can exploit. Also, cramming all the information into one place increases the information density and can make it harder to quickly access desired pieces of info.

Also, I don't see why we need a mini-map, to be honest; I'm fine with pushing a button to bring the full version up, and if I'm not pushing the button, I'm generally not too interested in seeing the map.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    I like it. I know its just a rough mockup (and liable to change anyways), but some feedback:

1) The part that lists the commander. At game start it should be a slowly pulsing blue color before any player has hopped in the chair yet, welcoming somebody in. Once a commander has been in the chair, if he exits this area will flash red like a warning light (and maybe a little non-irritating beeping noise). When occupied again, it'll go back to the normal blue.

2) There should be an icon for a beacon alert instead of the current text one that shows on the bottom of the screen. Maybe next to the commander part in the top middle it should flash red or something when the comm is beaconing along with the location of the beacon.

3) Waypoints should show on the top right minimap (along with the full one) and other squad info when that gets implemented.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1884241:date=Nov 8 2011, 12:24 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Nov 8 2011, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It might be a bit early to scrap bile bomb. I just don't see how whips can be used offensively if they require infestation to survive. Also, won't a single ARC totally destroy them before they get close enough to do damage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Whip probably is not going to require infestation to survive, anymore. Or maybe it will more time off of DI before it starts taking damage compared to other buildings or something. But, however it works, they will move faster, and be easier to maneuver into position and be much more useful at the front lines then they currently are. Moving the bilebomb only to the whips bombard attack means it can have a longer range and have a much bigger area of damage then the Gorge can have.

--Cory
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884276:date=Nov 8 2011, 10:50 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 8 2011, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Whip probably is not going to require infestation to survive, anymore. Or maybe it will more time off of DI before it starts taking damage compared to other buildings or something. But, however it works, they will move faster, and be easier to maneuver into position and be much more useful at the front lines then they currently are. Moving the bilebomb only to the whips bombard attack means it can have a longer range and have a much bigger area of damage then the Gorge can have.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you are trying to make it more symmetrical to the ARK? Ah I see now.

<!--quoteo(post=1884273:date=Nov 8 2011, 10:44 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 8 2011, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem with condensing large amounts of hud information into one space or one part of the screen is that it creates a HUD blind-spot that enemy players can exploit. Also, cramming all the information into one place increases the information density and can make it harder to quickly access desired pieces of info.

Also, I don't see why we need a mini-map, to be honest; I'm fine with pushing a button to bring the full version up, and if I'm not pushing the button, I'm generally not too interested in seeing the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hopefully it would be implemented so the blind spot would be minimal, and any that is created could be addressed with transparency. Also, in terms of however the HUD turns out, the mini-map should be out of the way of my reticule, when open, and toggle able. In terms of the idea I was promoting, this could be an extension of the tech unlock mechanism. Pressing your hud button slides it out, letting it go slides it down. Or it could be a toggle. I don't really care.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here’s a very rough mockup...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't mean to be rude but this just screams "I've seen it in crysis and i want to do this too". I mean the tilted hud elements. Why can't they just be straight? I've seen some modern games copying this more and more and it always looks stupid. It's just something the crytek guys invented to "add immersion" but instead it just looks silly.
    So here's the constructive part of the criticism: make the hud straight again.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited November 2011
    can whip be in vents?
    can whip run around corners, attack and retreat quickly?
    can whip be as mobile as gorge?
    will the whip can suddenly immune to ARCs?

what's going with this bad gameplay change, really.
    bile bomb at the hands of the gorge, making it far more mobile and useful ability.

IF you want bile bomb to have bigger splash, simply make it as it was in ns1. It worked wonderfully throughout the years.
    All you doing is nerfing the gorge role further more, and putting useful ability into easy-to-kill target which is completely useless chamber.

imo, charlie trying to make the whip useful but refuses to understand how easy its killed, and useless it actually is on the battlefield.

I just love to see alien commander move his whips so they can bile bomb, I guess marines will just wait until the whips in the position right?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can whip be in vents?
    can whip run around corners, attack and retreat quickly?
    can whip be as mobile as gorge?
    will the whip can suddenly immune to ARCs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was a lot of fun having skulks boost your gorge into the vent to bile bomb marine PGs, and as a marine, fishing those gorges out with hand grenades. If it is removed from the gorge, he should get another ability that is just as useful.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited November 2011
    I like the decision. As long as the bombard whips are comparative in strength, range (needs to be able to siege without LOS), and cost to ARCs (maybe a bit shorter range) and ARCs can't easily counter them, it should be much better than the current gorge bilebomb (which is too mobile but doesn't do enough damage).

You could make the upgrade to whip bombard turn the whip into a unit (like the ARC).
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Not sure about moving bilebomb to whip either. Maybe it'll work better in larger maps, but i dont see longer range as being as useful as better mobility unless there are plans to scrap root/unroot entirely and improve commander selection. Right now controlling whips feels really clunky to me (same can be said about arcs). Poor gorge can't build, can't bilebomb; hope we'll see combat buffs if so? :) Or am i missing something, are they planning to make bilebomb be able to go through walls? That would be strangely interesting.

New HUD mockup does look awesome but if there was an option to disable the minimap i would tick that straight away. Bringing up the full map when i need it in the middle of my screen nice and easy to see suits my needs and i found it way more useful to do that than look at the minimap in ns1. Also, kill feed should be on the top right side - i cant think of any game that puts it on the left and it doesn't look like theres enough space top left for commander activity notifications (notifications definitely need to go in) and a kill feed. The notification for weapon unlocks also seems a bit big too perhaps.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    I love the ui mockup...

Ideas:
    From the positioning point of view, I would move the commander name over the minimap (like "Name of the player - Commander, so the length of the name is not a problem) and the res info more to the top... so those 2 graphical boxes(minimap, and this other things on the left) are at the same height
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1884280:date=Nov 8 2011, 08:03 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Nov 8 2011, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't mean to be rude but this just screams "I've seen it in crysis and i want to do this too". I mean the tilted hud elements. Why can't they just be straight? I've seen some modern games copying this more and more and it always looks stupid. It's just something the crytek guys invented to "add immersion" but instead it just looks silly.
    So here's the constructive part of the criticism: make the hud straight again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Crysis didn't invent HUD elements made to look like part of the game world (in this case part of the soldiers helmet).
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    UI mockup is great. Perhaps you can give players the options to close certain screens for those who want a more minimalist approach?
  • AlchemyAlchemy Join Date: 2005-02-08 Member: 40330Members
    Bile bomb should not be removed from the gorge. Arcs would become part of a commanders static defence and too easily keep whips away.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1884280:date=Nov 8 2011, 07:03 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Nov 8 2011, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't mean to be rude but this just screams "I've seen it in crysis and i want to do this too". I mean the tilted hud elements. Why can't they just be straight? I've seen some modern games copying this more and more and it always looks stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, the tilt is actually something we mocked up to do years ago with the original UI, before Crysis 2, and all the other recent FPS games that are using it. However, the limitations of how were were doing the flash UI at the time prevented it, and now that we are redoing the marine HUD we decided to go with this look again. It fits in with the Marine's holographic visors and gives it some more visual interest.
    <!--quoteo(post=1884284:date=Nov 8 2011, 07:34 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2011, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Poor gorge can't build, can't bilebomb; hope we'll see combat buffs if so? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We do have plans for giving the gorge more to build. So, along with the Hydras and cysts, he could create a variety of traps, like webs, land mines (those are not actual examples, but along those lines). So, his role would be more engineer, and he could really have fun setting up an area in a way to make the best use of that stuff. Another idea in the works is giving him an "encrust" ability, where he can spray alien structures and give them an armor buff. He'll also probably be able to "shoot" his hydras and cysts and other things, so that he can get them into more places.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1884300:date=Nov 8 2011, 01:09 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 8 2011, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He'll also probably be able to "shoot" his hydras and cysts and other things, so that he can get them into more places.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please extend that ability to cists. Getting infestation on the ceiling would be awesome!
    <!--quoteo(post=1884302:date=Nov 8 2011, 03:12 PM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 8 2011, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please extend that ability to cists. Getting infestation on the ceiling would be awesome!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From what I've heard, ground nfestation is planned to slowly but naturally spread up walls (and possibly the ceiling) in later builds.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Is the health/armour display prototype intended to wiggle around like that? I find moving HUDs like in Crysis 2 pretty distracting and annoying.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Yeah no moving please / Or better if, only with option to turn it off and control the amount with a slider...