Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 167 released

13»

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1836823:date=Mar 11 2011, 01:37 PM:name=c0ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (c0ke @ Mar 11 2011, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do everyone a favour and please stop putting those horrible videos on your mainpage!

unless you sing, dance or do something similar funny.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm never really spiteful in my replies, and I always try to give people constructive criticism.

But you sir, are a ###### bag.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    Very immersing being able to play a game where the sound didn't cut out.. But, I really envy players in other nations (I live in AUS) as every game here is fixed by some *happy panda* putting ghosts on the alien team leaving them outmanned by <u>atleast</u> 2.

<b>~</b>I am confused as to why I had to evolve to gorge in order to manually build hive at a a later stage of the game. (which really made things difficult since I was out hnumbered 2.8:1)
    <b>~</b>Flamethrowers are still penetrating through walls.
    <b>~</b>Whip falls of map if you don't walk it correctly through passages
    <b>~</b> AC's (alien commender) view of fragged item is blocked by log-out button
    <b>~</b> Egg in mainhive 'Tram' falls into darkness (kind of cool)
    <b>~</b> It's nothing new, but I am incapable of hitting with fade...

I can't really comment on marine gameplay because the majority of 'AUSNS' are sheeple and don't like to play Kharaa <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->{img}middlefinger.jpg{img}<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1836829:date=Mar 11 2011, 09:59 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Mar 11 2011, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm never really spiteful in my replies, and I always try to give people constructive criticism.
    But you sir, are a ###### bag.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<3 runteh

<!--quoteo(post=1836832:date=Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>~</b>I am confused as to why I had to evolve to gorge in order to manually build hive at a a later stage of the game. (which really made things difficult since I was out hnumbered 2.8:1)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    wait... what? that's just not true.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836832:date=Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>~</b>Flamethrowers are still penetrating through walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is being worked on, I believe volumetric flames and trailing flame effects were the tracker entries.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836832:date=Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>~</b>Whip falls of map if you don't walk it correctly through passages<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this bothers me too. walking whips in general cause lag.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836832:date=Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>~</b> Egg in mainhive 'Tram' falls into darkness (kind of cool)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, in alien expansion, i've fallen through too. It's something to do with the grate texture there, the tram mapper could fix that with some collision geometry.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836832:date=Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>~</b> It's nothing new, but I am incapable of hitting with fade...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's a big frustration of mine too, fade's too slow to catch a marine and blink never really gets the job done. there's been a lot of complaints for a long time on this. lag makes the issue even worse.
    edited March 2011
    Been trying to post some screen shots of recent crashes, but NS2.exe tends to die before I can pick up my camera - I'll get some Steam Screenshots when I can.

Anyway, I tend to get black screens. The console indicates issues with OnProcessMove, then I get LUA stacks and a crash. Tends to happen in times of fierce action or when many are connected to the server. I'm sure this is all known, and i'm guessing it is to do with the garbage manager?

Also, I am pretty sure I have found a bug whereby the game crashes if you change resolution when next to an armoury and you have activated it. I'll go test it out now, and if so, post on getsatisfaction.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836851:date=Mar 11 2011, 07:27 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Mar 11 2011, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyway, I tend to get black screens. The console indicates issues with OnProcessMove, then I get LUA stacks and a crash. Tends to happen in times of fierce action or when many are connected to the server. I'm sure this is all known, and i'm guessing it is to do with the garbage manager?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Often it has to do with Lua's (not so) wonderful ability of complete variadic function-arguments, and the current Lua-gamecode not having proper error-handling regarding incoming arguments (or rather, lack thereof).
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited March 2011
    I'm unsure and will test it again -- but I was able to click the shift or shade structure button and attempt to place it in the map. The drifter went ahead and tried to transform into it, causing errors and huge framedrops. Was it always like this prior to 167? I'd post on getsatisfaction, but I'm unsure and haven't been able to try it again. Maybe I'll post it as a question rather than an issue.

Good to hear that sounds are doing better. I noticed a few things. Hive burning/flail animation wasn't playing, screech sound played but keep repeatedly starting with a new effect rather than letting it play the full length (like a skipping record). Associated with the damage I'm guessing.

I didn't hear the DI growing sound either.

Great job on the fixes though, it was only a matter of time. More to come -- good luck.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836848:date=Mar 11 2011, 09:50 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Mar 11 2011, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><3 runteh

wait... what? that's just not true.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, really..

The drifters morphed into structure hive/crag etc, but remained at 0% built until I gorged and manually built them.
    It was at about this time that I declared a 'moral victory'.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836789:date=Mar 11 2011, 04:21 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 11 2011, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd suggest some sort of BF2-style spawning system where you can choose which CC to spawn at (as long as there are IPs associated with those CCs) - Same for aliens, they can choose which hive to spawn at. I would go further and say that aliens should be able to switch between eggs, but not for marines and IPs because of spawn queue bottlenecking. Just as the aliens have vision before spawning from an egg, so that they can get a bearing on the situation and their surroundings, I think the same should apply to marines - like three seconds of vision through the IP before spawning; and spawning at the visual orientation that you were at prior to spawning. Of course, there has to be some visual indication that a marine is spawning and has vision, so aliens know when to back off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a concept art where little Drifters would fly around the hive and when they felt like it they would go onto the floor and turn into an egg.

Maybe, we could be the little Drifters ourselves and choose where we want to spawn (have to be in distance of a hive) This way it allows the aliens to spawn where they want to and also show a way of how eggs are created (Randomly spawning on the floor is unusual).
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    The new build is awesome. It''s running smooth on some servers and I really enjoy playing. especially with sound ;-)

Hope there will be an endgame finisher soon (onos, exo or arc, whip-bombard) in the game to get rid of the stalemates which happen a lot lately.
  • MaestroMausMaestroMaus Join Date: 2008-08-25 Member: 64899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836823:date=Mar 11 2011, 02:37 PM:name=c0ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (c0ke @ Mar 11 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do everyone a favour and please stop putting those horrible videos on your mainpage!

unless you sing, dance or do something similar funny.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do me a favor and ignore that. Just don't make the video's when your inmensely tired. That's all.
  • RigorRigor Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80545Members
    I've had FAR fewer crashes with this version. Bravo.

The few have been from entering/exiting the commander "seat" with a single exception. The most recent one was standing in the middle of the Marine Start and there was nothing going on.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    Still doesn't run well enough for me to play it :D I will be sat on the bench until it is I guess
    edited March 2011
    The game runs clearly enough with my current setup (3.4 ghz 12gb);
    The game itself is over-all unplayable as the Kharaa race.. =(

E.g;
    team 2 (Kharaa) had 4 hives early including the west wing (as 3rd hive).
    all bases were loaded with defence; This all happened before 'many' players arrived.
    The teams were well balanced, team 2 had some good players, and latency was not a factor (team 1 also had good players, it was a balanced ratio).
    With the most basic of stragedy on the behalf of team 1, they plundered and raped all hives without the need to expand much.
  • JinPTJinPT Join Date: 2011-03-08 Member: 85212Members
    I'm hopping for more servers in Europe and more players, but I guess that will happen only when the game is fully released. Also the game still doesn't run very well here, but a lot better than before
  • ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
    i have to run the game at extremely an low resolution to play smoothly, so i noticed that the hud does some weird stuff when its x*480, such as the join menu not showing any servers (just not displayed) and commander view has buttons all over the hud.

would it be possible to have these items resized so as to be visible at these resolutions
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837410:date=Mar 16 2011, 03:31 PM:name=Archaic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archaic @ Mar 16 2011, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i have to run the game at extremely an low resolution to play smoothly, so i noticed that the hud does some weird stuff when its x*480, such as the join menu not showing any servers (just not displayed) and commander view has buttons all over the hud.

would it be possible to have these items resized so as to be visible at these resolutions<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait.. you play NS2 at 640x480?
  • commofdoomcommofdoom Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58205Members
    Please fix engine not gameplay bugs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1837411:date=Mar 16 2011, 09:34 PM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Mar 16 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait.. you play NS2 at 640x480?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, and he is not the only one.
  • JinPTJinPT Join Date: 2011-03-08 Member: 85212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837437:date=Mar 16 2011, 10:52 PM:name=commofdoom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (commofdoom @ Mar 16 2011, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please fix engine not gameplay bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    They do both at the same time... the next big performance improvement is on its way - be patient, and happy for the nice few things this patch brought us.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837437:date=Mar 16 2011, 11:52 PM:name=commofdoom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (commofdoom @ Mar 16 2011, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please fix engine not gameplay bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As has been stated numerous times in the past, they have different guys working on each part of the game, and moving one to another would be about as productive as having a football coach for a basketball team.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    "numerous times"
    Such an understatement.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1836776:date=Mar 10 2011, 09:22 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Mar 10 2011, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ya seems the beacon really needs to be fixed. I can understand where having forward bases can become difficult to defend, but I've found as alien comm (admit I play this much more than marine comm), if I secure hives as close to the marines as possible we tend to win more often especially early on. It seems logical that if a marine comm takes those tech points he prevents this. However, I've seen many alien comms not push strong enough early on and this allows the marines the comfort of not having to deny aliens tech points and turtle while teching up as quick as possible. Agreed turtling is quite effective though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have seen this happen way too often lately.

Tram is a great example: Aliens rush elevator transfer and server room, get hives up and tech up, but they don't rush the marines and after a while the marines have Marine expansion and Repair room and get enough res and tech to turtle the hell of of MS and once they have grenades and flamers they simply walk all over the aliens.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845991:date=May 13 2011, 05:47 PM:name=semadurgun27)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (semadurgun27 @ May 13 2011, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice share boss...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For christ's sake will you stop spamming that?
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Why is this thread still open, anyway?