Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 160 released

Comments

• lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818828:date=Dec 23 2010, 11:20 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Dec 23 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its worse for fades as you have flaming objects, screen flame, flame from marines, the blink "xhair" and the blink animation sprite AT THE SAME TIME. you cant see a damn thing and end up aimlessly blinking around if there are more than 2 marines with them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

two problems here.

1. flame thrower still too powerful
    a. can be used through walls
    b. flames on the screen still painful to see through
    c. holding the button on the flame thrower you can rotate yourself any direction, keeping straight line of fire. when turning while firing it should break the straight line of fire.

2.blinking system still isn't fixed. The fade has poor aiming, and can't catch moving targets. Its still slow process to blink.
    In many cases you run after your target on foot after blinking. we need to figure out quicker ways to blink or adding two forms of blinks. keep the current one, and bring back blink from ns1 as well.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Steam has updated the game successfully every single time since the first release on my side, and I notice that you have made great improvements on the framerate side of things, keep up the good work!

The fade blink effects are wicked by the way!
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    My though about build 160 : Very bad game.
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2010
    First off the game rocks I have been playing the S$%^ out of it. A few things I would like to see when in comm who the players are on your team from above. But the new fad is rage alien joining Marine and recycling everything! I had this happen 4 games in a row as Marine today.So I can see this as being a huge issue with asshats. With a good team you can win with either class but Alien is easier because they can roam the map and still help their team but not the same for Marines. Aliens can come back from flame I have done it lots of times but the best way is to just prevent Marines from com 2= slow death with no flame Alien should win every game easy. Small bugs and glitches still can effect the over outcome of a game. Can we report asshats for a beta ban? See you guys online.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818879:date=Dec 24 2010, 01:20 AM:name=Paul-Hewson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paul-Hewson @ Dec 24 2010, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My though about build 160 : Very bad game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because....?
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited December 2010
    1. Lit textures
    When the lighting goes dark and then red, please (I figure UWE is aware of this) make sure that the bright white lamps go out. It looks super unrealistic otherwise.

2. Pro stacking
    This has been a persistent issue in NS1, and I'm sure that it's very important to many players. Pros are easily recognized over time by their k/d ratios (or amount of won matches), and I "demand" that everybody puts some effort in reducing pro stacking in the future.
    I know it's not easy to automize that. A ranking system would be required, and pros (as well as very weak players) would have to be limited as to which server or which team they are allowed to join. Some won't like this, but it's crucial to a challenging and exciting game that BOTH TEAMS have a somewhat equal amount of skill.
    I have seen too many boring matches due to rape from the first minute. The community will die quickly if noobs are discouraged by being forced into the weaker team, just because strong players always team up (I wonder what makes them tick). Please try to put an end to this, one way or another. I also ask the community to help find a solution.

3. I can't wait to see the dynamic infestation. WHERE'S THE SLIME?
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818926:date=Dec 24 2010, 03:30 AM:name=Melancor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melancor @ Dec 24 2010, 03:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Lit textures
    When the lighting goes dark and then red, please (I figure UWE is aware of this) make sure that the bright white lamps go out. It looks super unrealistic otherwise.

2. Pro stacking
    This has been a persistent issue in NS1, and I'm sure that it's very important to many players. Pros are easily recognized over time by their k/d ratios (or amount of won matches), and I "demand" that UWE puts some effort in preventing pro stacking in the future. A ranking system would be required, and pros (as well as very weak players) would have to be limited as to which server or which team they are allowed to join.
    I know that some will not like this, but it's crucial to a challenging and exciting game that BOTH TEAMS have a somewhat equal amount of skill. I have seen too many boring matches due to rape from the first minute.
    The community will die quickly if noobs are discouraged by being forced into the weaker team, just because strong players always team up. Please try to put an end to this, one way or another. I also ask the community to help find a solution.

3. I can't wait to see the dynamic infestation. WHERE'S THE SLIME?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Regarding stacked teams, you're making it too complicated, just do team auto-shuffle if one team wins more than 3 in a row.
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    Trying to play with friends and being autobalanced to the other team constantly is one of the most annoying things in multiplayer gaming ever. What's the point of even playing with your friends if you can't talk about your strategies on ventrilo. Team stacking has never been an issue for me.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819097:date=Dec 24 2010, 01:51 PM:name=Norton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Norton @ Dec 24 2010, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819097"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Trying to play with friends and being autobalanced to the other team constantly is one of the most annoying things in multiplayer gaming ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. But honestly, I'll play against my friends anytime if that 's what it takes to make fair teams. We don't have to discuss strategies if we're owning the other team either way.
    If stacking has never been an issue for you, you just might be one of those who simply don't give a fxxk. Sad but accepted. Maybe some time you'll have a child of your own, and then fairness in games might get a whole new meaning to you as well. No insult intended - I know it's NS we're playing, and not TeleTubbies.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1818869:date=Dec 23 2010, 07:39 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Dec 23 2010, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->two problems here.

1. flame thrower still too powerful
    a. can be used through walls
    b. flames on the screen still painful to see through
    c. holding the button on the flame thrower you can rotate yourself any direction, keeping straight line of fire. when turning while firing it should break the straight line of fire.

2.blinking system still isn't fixed. The fade has poor aiming, and can't catch moving targets. Its still slow process to blink.
    <b><u>In many cases you run after your target on foot after blinking.</u></b> we need to figure out quicker ways to blink or adding two forms of blinks. keep the current one, and bring back blink from ns1 as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And what is wrong with this? (bold,underlined text) They have feet for a reason, everything cannot be solved with blinking. Also, don't expect to be a pro at something within a few weeks of it coming out.

I played with a friend of mine who just start playing the beta and did very well as a fade. Went 20-3, and we even had flamethrowers early. So of course, it is possible. Sure maybe some things should be tweaked, I'm not sure of what, I don't have a problem with it, but I'm also sure some of you know what you're talking about. However, just because people can't pwn faces with blink right off the bat doesn't mean its broken.

Also, about the flamethrower. Several people had them and we still had a good bit of trouble pushing. They were very effective at taking down structures though. That is what I think they should excel at. And they should merely be good for blinding the aliens, but do less damage. Maybe the other way around, but either way, one or the other(if they don't blind, do more dmg).
    But too be honest, I am 100% fine with how they are now. It's too early to be complaining about balance. They aren't "wtfOP" at the moment with the blinding reduced so it isn't a top priority, but hey just my opinion.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    the underline statement was suppose to imply, fades cannot catch moving targets. Number of people gave some ideas how to reduce the clicking, which idea is best hard to say without further testing or feedback from the developers on this issue.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    edited December 2010
    I managed to get the details of that issue when my game black screens...

the console spams something like :

Lua/GUIScoreBoard.lua206
    no matching overload found
    candidate void setvisible (GUIItem &, bool )

something like that...

Audio continues and the console responds to the quit command, but it crashed out my steam as it quit... not good.

The game was playing not too bad, performance was ok ( full screen 1920 x 1200 highest quality , 25 - 30 FPS ) , hit reg is still bad...sorry , rockdown is definetly getting old fast but it is the most stable map... suggest you work on getting tram to play like rockdown performance wise as soon as possible as rockdown is basically a case of:

If Marines get west CC down long enough to research CC upgrade - Marines win ... if Aliens prevent CC - Aliens win.

Annoyed me last game, I desperetly tried every trick to force myself to west as a Marine after I joined late and suffered a full powered Alien torture for 30 odd mins... soon as its my turn as Aliens and we start winning, Marines rr and I get black screen.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Increase fade walk speed then, or give them a sprint/dash ability with Shift. And change to single-click blink.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1819277:date=Dec 25 2010, 04:20 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 25 2010, 04:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Increase fade walk speed then, or give them a sprint/dash ability with Shift. And change to single-click blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    keep fade's momentum after blink? stationary when blinking = stationary afterwards, moving before blink = moving afterwards.
    That could work too.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Fade blink has not been reduced to single click.

Whips still have hilariously small range. Make their model bigger, increase their range.

Rockdown is still in the public map pool.

The inevitable reliable game breaking stutter every 5 seconds has not been fixed. Many people experience this issue. Many people cannot play NS2. If NS2 ships with this bug, it will be a commercial disaster. UWE is not Bethesda. NS2 is not Fallout: Next Edition.

Game is experiencing heavy CPU bottlenecks, and is not threaded well enough.

Marines have only three weapon upgrades (shotgun, GL attachment, and flamethrower). That's enough to fill out Tier 1. Apparently, that's all we get for both Tier 1 and Tier 2. Alt-fire abilities are your friends. So far the shotgun and flamethrower have none.

Aliens have few abilities. Perhaps 2 abilities and 2 alt-fires per alien. I don't understand this. When are the additional abilities coming? That's how you guys will get as much bang for each alien model buck.

Dynamic Infestation might as well not even exist as concept art; we haven't seen it in years. How hard can ditching pointless procedural generation and pre-rendering DI room by room be?

Aliens can't see in the dark, marines can. On the plus side, marine flashlights can be seen by other players. Woo dynamic lighting?

Fade looks cute. Fades should not look cute. Fades are the NS answer to SC hydralisks. Make them bloodthirsty sadists.
  • T_RATT_RAT Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10967Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Game is playing a bit better, servers not crashing as much anymore.
    All the littles fixes are great.
    Had a black flashing screen on tram a couple of times. At the same time other people have reported the black screen flashing. Didn't have that on b159. Maybe build related.
    Missing textures sometimes .
    I get a debug error sometimes when clicking "play natural selection" via steam. and then have to reload game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    All of what you just posted yba, seems like it could simply be answered by "we're working on it" or the proven concept called "patience is a virtue" :P
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819384:date=Dec 25 2010, 03:49 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 25 2010, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All of what you just posted yba, seems like it could simply be answered by "we're working on it" or the proven concept called "patience is a virtue" :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep. Just giving my opinion.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818885:date=Dec 24 2010, 01:39 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 24 2010, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because....?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

obviously his thoughts are somewhat limited by his tiny brain.
    <!--quoteo(post=1819434:date=Dec 26 2010, 10:48 AM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Dec 26 2010, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep. Just giving my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fair call. I pretty much agree with everything he said, too.
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    edited December 2010
    I was fine with how flamethrowers were on the last build, when they were a bit overpowered, maybe even make it do more damage to buildings. the only fix I though that needed to be done was limit them to like 2 or 3, or maybe dependent on how many players there are, like 1 out of 5 get a flamethrower or something. I think they should do that with the onos when it comes out as well. then you kind of add this scenario where your trying to protect your flamethrower guy, and all the aliens are trying to swarm him, cause hes dangerous.
  • t1337Dudet1337Dude Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76074Members
    Just bought a copy of the game and playing with the game's graphics on High induces a crash after picking a team. This is probably a known issue - so is there any known fix? Or are we stuck using Medium settings and lower?
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    I can play on high, did you try a different server after it crashed? it might have just been the server.
    <!--quoteo(post=1820617:date=Jan 1 2011, 03:04 AM:name=garthak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (garthak @ Jan 1 2011, 03:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can play on high, did you try a different server after it crashed? it might have just been the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tried around 5 different servers. Happens on two computers, one is an XP 32-Bit setup with an E8500, 4GB of RAM, and RADEON HD4850. The other is a Windows 7 64 Bit setup with an i7930 @ 4.0ghz, 6GB of RAM, and Radeon HD5850. I can run around the room, but as soon as I attempt to join a team, I get a load of "Connection Error" messages, and then follows a crash.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    edited December 2010
    I have various issues with the game, it annoys me no end when I watch a NS2HD vid with his nice smooth action, and I jump into a server of a stutter fest.

I am tempted to FRAPS my experience and show that to the public as a true vision of the current NS 2 gameplay, not NS2HD's excessive fanboi vision enhanced version.

... or am I the only player with a reasonable rig ( 3.48 ghz AthlonII 640 x4, 4 gig RAM DDR3 , GTX260 ), dropping detail doesnt do jack..its actually the server which cant cope... but reality also dictates the fact there is no other UK server with players and ping at a decent UK time.

I dont know how NS2HD has such great gameplay with fraps running but I can barely walk in Tram after killing all the unrequired processes... and to date I havent finsihed a full game on Tram..it either crashes ( with submit detail window ) or black screens while whining about scoreboard lua.260 ... wtf I wasnt even looking at the scoreboard for [ beep ] sakes.

... is it my rig ?
    <!--quoteo(post=1820648:date=Jan 1 2011, 04:16 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Jan 1 2011, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have various issues with the game, it annoys me no end when I watch a NS2HD vid with his nice smooth action, and I jump into a server of a stutter fest.

I am tempted to FRAPS my experience and show that to the public as a true vision of the current NS 2 gameplay, not NS2HD's excessive fanboi vision enhanced version.

... or am I the only player with a reasonable rig ( 3.48 ghz AthlonII 640 x4, 4 gig RAM DDR3 , GTX260 ), dropping detail doesnt do jack..its actually the server which cant cope... but reality also dictates the fact there is no other UK server with players and ping at a decent UK time.

I dont know how NS2HD has such great gameplay with fraps running but I can barely walk in Tram after killing all the unrequired processes... and to date I havent finsihed a full game on Tram..it either crashes ( with submit detail window ) or black screens while whining about scoreboard lua.260 ... wtf I wasnt even looking at the scoreboard for [ beep ] sakes.

... is it my rig ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's definitely not your rig.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited January 2011
    I live in the UK, I had ago on an NSArmoury server on tram, i found the gameplay awfull compared to playing with NS2HD on the UWE server in sans..
    Think there is something up with the configs of most of the servers currently out there, not sure what the issue is with their server performance being worse than our test server but they cenrtainly are not setting a good example in comparison to what NS2HD is able to record on decent servers.

if other players client side FPS is < 20 they wont be able to send frequent effective updates to the server, Stacked on top of that is if the server is running badly, some of the server hosted run < 18 FPS for some reason, possibly because of core usage because i find it will always use core0 by default and core0 is usually partly in use by various other tasks, I always force my server to run on core 2&3 all to its self.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Get a programmer to answer in "performance questions". :P

NS2 has 2 threads, if there are more than 2 CPUs used then they are used by Havok/PhysX but not "main" computation. Don't blame servers and don't blame clients either. FPS goes down when a lot of structures are built. Everyone I asked gets the same effect. It's the game simulation thread that for instance takes 60 ms while render takes 30 ms. That means you can render at 60 FPS but simulation takes so long that it slows down to 30. With more structures built it gets lower - below 30 for longer periods.

It's totally independent from how fast server is running.

I played on practically every server there is from 50 ms latency to 400 ms. From 4 vs 4 to 7 vs 7. The only pattern is that FPS goes down as game progresses.
  • realturkrealturk Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33431Members, Constellation
    where is weekly uptade ? holiday season ?