Here is a quick rundown or watch the video:
- Click on your Windows Desktop Start menu.
- In winXP you want to find "RUN", in Vista/7 you want the search bar at the bottom of the menu.
- Type in DXDIAG and hit Enter
- A window pops up, Either a Diagnostic will auto run or you need to click on a button: Run DxDiag now ~something similar to that.
- When the progress bar is done, Click on the "Save All Information" button, Now your ready to mail that off to Max.
If you are having problems running or launching the game, Try running the following installer:
C:\....????....\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe
It's half way down the huge list of .cab files.
PhysX is still used for some aspects. Download Installer
I have written everything that may apply to you in the order you should try to do them first.
Community Solved issues
--- Check these links out for confirmed fixes ---
ATI - My Game is pitch black
Resolved - GetSatisfaction Article
ATI - Turn off Catalyst A.I.
Resolved - Flickering Lights
Correct Quality SettingsYou may want to change the the Quality Setting to Medium or Awful if the game has some glitches, If you cant load the game acess the config mentioned above.
Some users have experienced issues that are indicators of being "Out of Video Memory".
Here is a guide to what quality setting you should be using according to the Texture Memory available, 32bit systems have a memory mapping issue I will talk about below:
- < 512 MB - Bloody Awful
- 512MB - 756MB - Medium
- > 756MB - High
The Common Problem
32Bit systems can only Map a total combination of 4GB of System Dedicated RAM & Video RAM. : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
This means if you have 4GB of System RAM & a GPU with 1GB of Video RAM your 32Bit system will map less System RAM and some of your Video RAM not always all of it.
This is a problem for all games and the work around provided by all game engiens is to load only what it needs & unload resources that are no longer in use in order to try and run smoothly with the reduction of available memory caused by the 32bit system or simply a lack of it installed to begin with.
* The Spark Engine still has lots of features and functions yet to be written into the engine including efficient memory management, this may stop graphical artifacting and may vastly lower stuttering as you move through a level depending on your system specs when it is fully implemented.
If you notice artifacts in other games or stutters, this could be be your potential problem if you have a 32Bit system with 4GB Ram installed. The other cause is if you simply don't have enough Video Ram on your GPU in the first place for that game to run properly.
Here are some things to try (Let me know if it works) but at some stage you should consider buying a 64Bit system running a 64Bit OS.
* Got 4GB of RAM & 1GB GPU?, You could remove 1GB of RAM so your system can try & map all your Video memory.
Only do this if your a confident system builder, poor handling & storage of a chip and exposure to static will damage it.
* In your GPU settings panel, Lower the number of Pre-Rendered frames to 1 or 0
(Results vary on systems changing this setting up and down will get rid of or create problems like: Input Lag & Stuttering)
Next is a couple of things to try, some users have found that their update/download is corrupted or missing files, Steam has had fun recently doing this.
Steam has a Verification tool for game integrity and will replace old/miss matched/missing files.
Reinstall the game
Yes because this really truly does work in some cases, Should Check Integrity actually fail try this just in case because something this silly can solve your problems.
The most obvious one to try as always repeated is make sure your drivers are up to date, otherwise:
- Reset all configuration data back to Defaults. (This really has worked for some people.)
- Turn off Catalyst A.I. (ATI Cards)
- Disable Crossfire/SLI
- Re-Install Drivers.
Fully un-install the drivers, Then if you really want; Get someone with experience if you not got it your self to use Driver Sweeper to really clean old driver data and system entries that may cause any issues.