steam must be running to play natural selection 2

tomjoetomjoe Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68468Members
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
Hi all, i get an error when i try and play(see title). i could play just fine before the patch, but now i cant. and yes steam is running.

any ideas?

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    1) Close/re-open steam and try again, or reboot.
    2) Make sure steam service is running when Windows starts.
    3) Verify game cache.
    4) If all that fails re-download the game and try it again.
  • kombinekombine Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164671Members
    I'm having this same issue, not to revive a necro thread, but this is the only one I could dig up on Google. This never happened til about a week ago, just past 239. If I restart steam, I can load up NS2 one time, and upon exit, if I try to play again later I will have to reload steam. While its only a 'minor' problem, its annoying to have to reload steam every time I wanna jump back in the fight.

The steam service is running, I'm currently verifying the cache right now, will edit as soon as its done with the results. Otherwise, I really hope not to have to reinstall the game, as lame as it is, my area internet provider charges us if we go over a "download limit" they recently started as a new rule. I'd rather not incur more than I have to on this limit, regardless. If anyone has encountered this problem, please let me know.
  • kombinekombine Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164671Members
    I'm having this same issue, not to revive a necro thread, but this is the only one I could dig up on Google. This never happened til about a week ago, just past 239. If I restart steam, I can load up NS2 one time, and upon exit, if I try to play again later I will have to reload steam. While its only a 'minor' problem, its annoying to have to reload steam every time I wanna jump back in the fight.

The steam service is running, I'm currently verifying the cache right now, will edit as soon as its done with the results. Otherwise, I really hope not to have to reinstall the game, as lame as it is, my area internet provider charges us if we go over a "download limit" they recently started as a new rule. I'd rather not incur more than I have to on this limit, regardless. If anyone has encountered this problem, please let me know.
  • KalibosKalibos Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183589Members
    Sorry for the bump; there was no point making a new thread. This started happening to me the other day. Restarting Steam fixes it until next time, but every time I do that I have to reconfigure my NS2 settings (graphics primarily) and it's getting to be very annoying. I've tried verifying game cache (didn't work obviously) and my next step will be to reinstall the game, I guess.
  • GuidedGuided Join Date: 2009-07-16 Member: 68158Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm also having the exact same problem. Restarting steam fixes it. But reverts my graphics options to default. Now I've just made my config file read only so I don't have to redo my settings every time. I've noticed errors starting up different games like new vegas when this bug happens so it may be a steam issue.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Guided it sounds like the config files may not be syncing up with cloud properly. were you prompted by steam at all regarding having two non matching versions of the config files? often it will give you the option when there is a mismatch of files to either utilize what you have on disc or allow steam to overright the file with what it has on the cloud.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members